5000 butterflies in my stomach!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Alisha, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

I am very excited for the school year to start...but OMG am I getting nervous!!!! I thought I was over my nerves! Thursday is my first contract day, just new teachers. I don't have my first day of school until 9/2! WHY am I letting myself get stressed?!

I just keep having this vision that somehow I'm going to fail at managing my class and these 7th graders will just TAKE OVER!:unsure:

3. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

WOW! I am feeling that same feeling. I am freaking out... I have not even seen my classroom, seen my textbooks or anything. I have been trying to get into my room but first it was .... the principal was going to show me around the school and my room (I meet him there and all the doors were locked I call him and left a message) then, I went there yesterday and I couldn't get to my room because the hallway right out side my room was being waxed. I don't even know were to begin... at least my new teacher orientation will be starting on Thursday so maybe I can stay afterwards in my room and maybe I will acess to all of my student I.E.P's
    Yes, I am a special education teacher for students with behavioral/emotional disorders and I can start setting up my behavioral system or anything... My students are in my vision as taking over my room... HELP!!!!

4. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 19, 2008

i know how you feel nhagle... i haven't seen my classroom yet. the school i'm in is doing major renovations and i was told by my principal that "the school is not in good shape right now, soon though". so i'm just as lost as you with not knowing what my classroom looks like and not seeing the book. it's frustrating i know, BUT we can do it!!! i just keep telling myself that i'll be able to handle it all. I have a week long orientation starting on monday so I'm looking forward to that. Anyways, good luck to you all :)

5. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I am right there with you guys.... I'm feeling a sort of nervous paralysis and logged into AtoZ to try to feel better, and then get to WORK. I'm looking forward to that 5-year mark when I will supposedly really know what I'm doing!

Good luck to me, good luck to you, and good luck to our students!;)

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

Oh yeah, I didn't add that. I don't move up there until tomorrow (couldn't get into my place until then), haven't seen my classroom OR a single text book! UGH I just need to learn how to breathe!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

I remember my first year of teaching. I was a nervous wreck. I was hired on a Friday, and started teaching kindergarten that Monday. BOY, was I nervous. BUT, it gets better and you get to know the kids and it doesn't become a big deal anymore. My second year I started at another school district and felt nervous all over. THen, my third year, I moved to fifth, and I was feeling much better about starting the year. You get used to it. Just try to get as prepared ahead as possible. That will help with the first day.

Good luck with your first day of classes!!! I am looking for a new job. I have two districts that I have been communicating with. I have a feeling I may get hired, again, right before school starts (one already started this week) and I know that I will be nervous!!! But, I know I will have fun going back to school.

8. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks everyone I am a little on the edge but I will start my new teacher orientation on Thursday and Friday and Professional Development next week Monday and Wednesday... yet I am give one teacher duty day which will help me get my room and stuff organized. Good luck to everyone as this new school year begins I know I will be telling myself that I am really to take on my new students, my new position, and my new career... just one step at a time and I will do it all.(maybe not well at first but I will get it as time goes by.)

9. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 19, 2008

I know how you guys feel. Students start Sept. 3, and just this week I've started to get really nervous. I am hoping my nerves calm down a little bit when I can get into my classroom, and talk to other teachers next week, but I'm starting to think that will only make me more nervous! Good luck to everyone!

10. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

It's okay to be nervous around the other teachers, but don't let the kids know! I am going into my first year of teaching French Immersion (I have taught Core French in the past, but that was three years ago!) and I am somewhat nervous about my command of the language, however, I am going to go in and NOT let the kids know how nervous I am. Letting them know is a recipe for disaster!

11. MyTurn2Teach

MyTurn2Teach New Member

Aug 19, 2008

I have my new teacher orientation next week too.......going tomorrow to sign the paperwork. I think I'm just starting to feel like OMG I REALLY HAVE A TEACHING POSITION!!! I'm excited, but hope I can keep up with all the details. I haven't even seen the SCHOOL where I will be teaching!

12. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

Has anyone else barely started planning??? I think this is a big part of my problem. I know what I want to do the first couple days, and I have about 5 total other lessons written, but I haven't even seen a textbook or curriculum guide so I just do not know what I should even be doing for planning.

13. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

I feel like I've barely started, though I know that's not true. My cooperating teacher had fill-in notes for everything - the kind where students just fill in important stuff, so that they aren't distracted by trying to right down every little word. I've been trying to get some of those typed up, and make "answer keys" for myself. I've gotten my "welcome to the class - here's what we're going to do" letters typed, and my class rules and grading policies. I know I'm fairly prepared, but I still feel like I haven't gotten enough ready!

As far as lesson plans, a fellow teacher told me to prepare the first week and some of the first chapter, but that honestly, you won't know till you meet the kids and know where they're at. We need to be flexible, and odds are if you plan much further in advance, you're going to be disappointed because you might have to scrap it all. She's been teaching for over 15 years, 2 different subjects, so I find her guidance helpful. Hopefully it'll help you too!

14. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

I honestly felt myself letting out a HUGE sigh of relief when I read this. It does make sense, it is it about how much planning I've done up to this point (well all I really could do without the textbooks anyway).
    I think part of why I started freaking out about planning so much is that I just talked to my friend, who is also going to be starting her first year teaching and she has her first 2 or 3 units planned out for almost all of the classes she teaches!!!

Thanks for making me feel like I'm on track! I really appreciate it!

15. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 20, 2008

Alisha - I have a new job this fall and I won't start planning until Thursday - I get the kids a week from then. I can't plan until I find out if the school has copies of the new curriculum that we are supposed to implement this fall (I can't seem to get my hands on them!) and what text books we have. I'm entering my fourth year of contracted teaching, and honestly, I don't plan much beyond the first couple of days.

Most of my first day activities are things I am going to be expecting my students to do almost every day for the rest of the year. This allows me to teach routines and procedures which are ESSENTIAL for good classroom management.

Your friend with all those pretty units? She may get into the classroom and discover that she has to do a lot of modifying and adapting for her students. If you are prepared to spend a large chunk of September planning for the rest of the term (I plan term to term) then you'll be fine!

16. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I do have my first couple days figured out already; rules, procedures, routines, icebreakers...

I could hug you right now. You've made me feel good about starting the school year, not iffy and unsure!

17. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

When I get nervous, it turns my stomach into a wreck -- which doesn't ever help. Just remember -- they wouldn't have hired you if they didn't think you could handle it.

Be as prepared as you can. I have found that it helps a little, but it won't ever go away completely. Even teachers who have been around for over 10 years still get excited and nervous about the first days of school.... So we are all in the same (good) boat.

I would agree with Canadian Gal --- DON'T let them know you are nervous!!! :)

Breath, take a nice long bath, do whatever you need to do to relax yourself. Don't forget to eat a good breakfast -- even if you don't feel like you can. You can do it! (Teaching, I mean.)

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 20, 2008

I'm freaking out too!

My first day is Monday! Oh. My. God. I'm totally freaking out! :) Orientation is tomorrow night. I've heard it's very informal (more like a meet-and-greet), but I've also been told to expect most parents to show up, so that has me nervous. Where I student taught, there was ZERO parental involvement!

At least my room is almost ready to go. It's pretty messy right now, but I can throw it all together in an hour or so.

You know what cracks me up though? Growing up, I had NO CLUE teachers get as nervous as they do, nor did I realize how much time they spend at school setting up. It's kinda crazy :)

19. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 20, 2008

Alisha - I'm starting tomorrow with all of my planning and my classroom set up. My big goal is to get my classroom set up tomorrow and to take a look at my resources. Beyond that, I refuse to stress. I know how to do my job and it will get done - it always does!