5 tips for Providing Effective Feedback to Students- Article/Diagram

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BioAngel, Sep 4, 2014.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 4, 2014

1- Be as specific as possible
    2- The sooner the better
    3- Address the learner's advancement toward a goal
    4- Present feedback carefully
    5- Involve learners in the process

[​IMG]

More information here- http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2014/09/5-tips-for-providing-effective-feedback.html

---------------------------------
    Being that I teach 8 classes (about 140 students) I'm always concerned about how I can become more efficient and effective when giving feedback to students. This is one area I would honestly like to improve in my teaching- it's so much easier to check over things and if it's mostly correct just write "good job", especially when I have 40+ journals to grade in 1 night.

I know most elementary classes are self-contained- but if you teach a large group of students, how are you able to provide effective feedback to students so they can work on improving their skills?

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 6, 2014

*bump*

No one? :(

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2014

I missed seeing this earlier.

Feedback is something I need to improve on. At times, I do really well with specific, descriptive feedback, but I'm not as consistent as I should be. I also need to work on how to encourage the students to use the feedback that I provide to improve the quality of their work.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2014

I love your chart. I, too, missed this the first time around. Giving specific criticism that will actually improve the way they do the work, or address a problem may benefit them for life. How many "Good Jobs" do you remember in relation to the actual task at hand? Thank you for sharing with us! ;)

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

You say you correct many journals in one night... I usually randomly select a few and write quality feedback. I figure that I will get to them all eventually, and one useful comment is worth 3 "good jobs". I also try to avoid "good job" in general, and stick to comments like "I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. I like how all your sentences have capital letters at the start. What was your favorite thing about ___? (Prompt to write more or add details)"

Love the infographic, thanks for sharing. :)

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

I should add, for some things I will put good job, mostly recall based things like spelling or facts tests.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2014

I often use a rubric, and I can tailor it easily to an assignment.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2014

Thank you for sharing this! This is great. I am involved in a PLC on formative assessment so I am definitely looking to improve in all areas of formative assessment. :)

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2014

Maybe think of a few specific common phrases for feedback. For example, my kids write math reflections. Usually a lot of them need to be reminded to include the math vocabulary from the lesson or to include an equation that matches their descriptions. This is specific actionable feedback that many students need. You could think of a few things like that, type it up on labels, and put them on student work. That way you can give useful feedback but it might save some time. Just a thought!