5 senses

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Patch351, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

Nov 11, 2007

Do you have an favorite activities you like to do during a 5 senses theme? I do not own many books to read during this theme, but can check at the library. Are there any good ones out there that I should look for?

Thanks All :)

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2007

The library has alot of great kid books on the 5 senses; I know because I would check them out every year...sometimes they were already checked out...I have since purchased book packets from SCHOLASTIC; a very good and inexpensive investment especially if you have bonus points!
    Have the library help you out; I can't think of the books I used back then, but they were there.

For the sense of taste; I have parents sign up to bring an item for salty (potato chips), sweet (chocolate candy) sour (lemon slices) and bitter (I bring in bittersweet chocolate). On the count of three, WE all taste salty. County again and taste, sour...it's amusing to see what we all do when we get to bitter...boy; do they know what bitter means then! :lol: Be sure and have napkins and a drink available!
    also; have a hand mirror in the classroom so that everyone has a chance to look at their taste buds.
    have fun; I love this unit!

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 11, 2007

Smelly jars were a HUGE hit in my room last year during this unit... I put different scents on cotton balls in jars... I think I did cinnamon, lemon, peppermint, and chocolate (hot choc. mix)... I asked each kid to smell the jar, then tell me what they thought was inside. After the group was done, we talked about what was REALLY inside. Theyl oved it!

Another one I've seen... use your 5 senses (well, 4 of them, at least) do differentiate between salt and sugar... first look at it, then smell it, then tough it and, finally, taste it.

5. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Nov 11, 2007

I let each of my students create a "sensory" book. Each page tells about a different sense.

Page one says:
    I can "touch" things with my hands!
    Soft things (let them glue on a piece of cotton)
    Hard things (let them glue on a piece of plastic milk carton, the bumpy kind they can feel.)

Page two:
    I can "hear" things with my ears!
    Loud things (glue on picture of a whistle)
    Soft things (glue on picture of bird chirping or something similar)

Page three:
    I can "taste" things with my tounge!
    Sweet things (glue on candy wrapper)
    Salty things (glue on french fry container or picture of french fry)

Page four:
    I can "see" things with my eyes!
    Shiny things (glue on piece of aluminum foil)
    bright things (glue on picture of light bulb)

Page five:
    I can "smell" things with my nose!
    Sweet things (dip cotton ball in a sweet scent and glue on page)
    Sour things (dip cotton ball in a sour scent and glue on page)

The kids now have a book they can take home and share with their parents. None of my students can read and all are nonverbal so this is a great way for them to interact with a book.

6. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

When I taught this age we did a book as well. But I took pictures of one of my student's ears, another's hands etc. and made a book for them to read on their own that said "Hands touch" with the picture of one of their friends hands. Another page said "Noses smell" with a picture of a nose. They loved it. By the end of the unit they could tell me whose nose, eyes etc belonged to whom without even seeing faces.

7. mrod

mrod Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

The five senses is such a fun learning unit you can do all sorts of things. Reading stories like The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything is a good Idea because it has alot of movement that you can do along with that. Seven Blind Mice is a great book you can use for this unit. For activities you can place babies in the sensory table and have children wash them up with a lavendar wash and then lotion the babies up with lavendar lotion when their done. The classroom will smell great and the children will use their sense of touch and smell. Having the children touch various textures while being blindfolded and having to match the textures. The possiblilities are endless.

8. monica

monica Comrade

Nov 14, 2007

5 Senses is on our list of units, but shhhhh... I skip it! It's in October on the schedule and I just can't fit it in as a unit. We do talk about them from time to time though. We fit them in other stuff.

I also have that set of books from Scholastic, they're offered every year at some point. Cheap & worth it.

I do the smelly jars too, can't beat it. Just randomly at some point during the year, sometimes more than once with things. Then we talk about smell when we do other things. I put peppermint extract in red paint to paint candy canes in December. We add pumpkin spice to playdoh that we make on orange day (technically Halloween day). We use cinnamon in our applesauce cinnamon ornaments for Christmas. Etc...

We have a bingo game to work on sounds. It has a CD and you listen for the sounds (I have an at home sounds & farm sounds) The bingo cards have pictures of what you're hearing, you cover it up if you have it. You can buy them from The School Box stores or online from them I think. We also have a game from somewhere (School Box or ABC) that is little wooden boxes with sounds in them, you match the sounds. You could do that with film cannisters too, put change, rocks, push pins, etc.. in them and let the kids try to guess what's in them.

For touch you can put things in a cloth bag and let the kids reach in and feel of one object. They try to guess what they're feeling. I also have a Brain Surgery Operation game where the reach in and feel of things. You can put items in paper sacks (one item per sack) and staple the sack shut. Then let the kids feel of the item through the sack and guess what it is.

Taste tests were already mentioned, great ideas. For letter L we put an old fashioned peppermint candy stick (soft kind, you can get them at Cracker Barrel restaraunts) in a hole in lemons. You suck the lemon juice up through the candy stick and the acid eats a hole through. You can get the juice to come up through the hole, like a straw. By the time you taste the lemon juice it's not as sour, b/c it's gone through the sugar. The kids love it. It's a fun taste thing.

Popcorn is also a good thing to use for all the 5 senses. You can cook it in an air popper in your room. You get to use all 5 senses for it. Sometimes I take the lid off and let it pop straight up in the air, the kids go NUTS. It's fun!! I put it on a clean sheet on the floor so that we can scoop up the popcorn and eat it. We listen to the Greg & Steve Popcorn song during this too.

9. msj

msj Companion

Nov 14, 2007

When I do 5 sences, I always let the kids make slime. It great for touch. THEY LOVE IT! I'm sure to always send a glob home when we are finished. I'm sure the parents are not quite as thrilled as the children...LOL

10. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Nov 17, 2007

We did a smelly collage that went over really well.

I put down a sheet of contact paper and had them sprinkle different spices, teas, etc on it. They loved it!

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2007

now; that's a new one! what a great idea!
    Slickchik, do you give everyone a sheet of contact paper?

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 17, 2007

That reminded me that we made a class "texture collage" earlier in the year... put a variety of things on a big sheet of paper... wallpaper sample, cotton ball, easter grass, paper plate cutting, wax paper, sand, beans, etc. on a BIG sheet of paper, and asked the kids to describe how each one feels.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2007

silly me, I was just gonna make play dough

or cut up lemons, and make lemonade...

I like the book idea! :D

14. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 23, 2007

5 senses of Christmas
    We begin by learning the five senses. We discuss it for a couple of days. Then we talk about what we see at Christmas one day, next day smell, etc. We make a book and complete one page a day
    For the first page they glue wrapping paper squares around the tree and for smell I think it is a ginger bread cookie that we glue on the page, etc.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2007

cute!

Can you tell me more about your Christmas book?? Love it!