5 Senses of Christmas Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Nov 11, 2006.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 11, 2006

Would really like to have some good ideas for 5 senses to do for Christmas.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2006

I make a really cute book called "the 5 senses of Christmas". I'm not sure if I remember the whole thing, but I can check at school this week and get back to you. It is adorable.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2006

wow; I'm also looking forward to your booklet too! :D

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2006

Could you possibly do something like write a sentence for the kids and have them draw a picture...

Christmas smells like_______________

Sounds like______________

etc.

Don't know, just taking a shot:D

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 11, 2006

Just letting my mind wander----
    Sound--Songs, jingle bells, falling snow, rain, etc.
    smell--cinnamon, trees
    See--colors
    Taste--egg nog, gingerbread
    Tactile--textures of ribbon, wrap

That is how I create a lesson plan--now on to activities--
    Use those big bells and sing Jingle Bells
    Bake some cookies
    Taste some new things--egg nog, hot cider
    Use wrapping paper for collage

You can see that I am not into process stuff, just letting the lesson flow with interactive experiences.

I am looking forward to other postings and ideas.

7. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

5 senses christmas bear

I did these with my kids last year and they turned out great:

Cut bear shapes out of sandpaper (touch).

Have the kids color the sandpaper with a cinnamon stick (smell).

Hang a jingle bell necklace around the bear's neck (sound).

Attach a mini candy cane to the bear's paw (taste).

And of course they can see the bear (sight).

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

When I think about Christmas tastes of course candy cane is first
    -hot chocolate
    -sugar cookies
    -sprinkles
    -milk

Sight-
    - lights
    -decorations
    - snowmen
    - colors red & green
    -bright bows & ribbons

Smell-
    -cookies baking
    -hot chocolate
    -peppermint
    - like the other cinnamon & pine trees
    - I know this is gross but the smell of wet stuff drying...I don't know about you but when I was little the inside of our boots, gloves, hats & all other outside gear was put over registers!!

Sound-
    a lot of the others but
    -people being more cheerful (usually)
    -HO ho ho
    -wrapping paper crinkling
    -the "swishing" sound the snow pants & suits make
    -"clump" sounds of boots

Touch-
    -snow
    -pine trees (especially when you step on the needles)
    - cookies
    -different tree decorations
    -sweaters
    -gloves or mittens, scarfs, hats (especially those that are made of wool & get itchy)
    -wet stuff from outside...wet socks, gloves, snow suits, your sock pulled almost off because of your boots

I didn't really help with any sort of lesson, but may have given you a few more ideas.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

The Five Senses of Christmas

Christmas looks like presents. (the children draw a tree, and cut out squares of gift wrap to glue under it)

Christmas feels like Santa's beard (I have a picture of Santa's face, they glue cotton on his beard)

Christmas tastes like candy canes. (I attach a candy cane to the page...tell them they can eat it after they read the book to someone)

Christmas sounds like Rudolph's bell. (I have a picture of Rudolph, and they attach a real jingle bell to his collar)

Christmas smells like gingerbread. (I have pictures of Gingerbread men, and they glue little gingerbread cookies to the page...can't remember what kind they were, but they smelled like gingerbread and had the hardness of an animal cracker)

Christmas is love. (I have a huge heart on the last page and we glue red glitter onto it.)

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2006

We have a book we make each year. It has five pages:
    Little Elf, Little Elf, what do you see? Shimmering lights on the Chritmas tree. (on that page, they sponge paint a tree and use glitter to make the lights so that they shimmer. The day we do this, we also play a Bingo game about what you see at Christmas and I have giant Christmas lights made out of see through colored plastic that we look through and talk about how colors change things.

Little Elf, Little Elf, what do you hear? Sleigh bells ringing on Santa's reindeer. ( on that page, they glue down a pre-cur reindeer and glue on a collar with a real jingle bell tied on so that they can hear it.) The day we do this, we also explore the sounds other bells make, and we play a sound matching game. We learn to sing a Christmas carol (Jingle Bells works well) and then we go sing it to the office so that they can "hear" it.

Little Elf, Little Elf, what do you feel? Santa's soft beard, it feels so real. (on that page, they glue down a pre-cut Santa face and give him a cottom ball beard, so it can really be felt.) On this day, we also spend some time "feeling" other Christmas-y things - a branch of fake pine, a stocking, an ornament, etc, and using words to talk about how each one feels.

Little Elf, Little Elf, what do you smell? Somethin's in the oven and I can't tell! (on that page, I have the kids cut out a pre-traced gingerbread man, from sandpaper. Then, they use cinnamon sticks and rub all over the gbread man so that he can really smell, then they glue it into the books.) We also make those cinnamon applesauce ornaments.

Little Elf, Little Elf, what do you eat? Candy canes, so crunchy and sweet. (On that page, we glue a stocking in so that the top stays unglued and we slip a real candy cane in for them to take home.)
    On that day, I have each kid bring a candy cane from home, and we sort them by color, size and shape. Then, we have a taste test (you have to break the canes into bits) and a graph about what one we liked the best. We also bake holiday cookies and taste them later at our party.

Kim

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 18, 2006

Here is a great free printable book for the 5 senses of Christmas I found at teachers.net "I Can See Christmas"
    good luck!
    vanna