5 Minute Interview?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Fresh277, May 1, 2017.

1. Fresh277

Fresh277 Rookie

May 1, 2017

Hello teachers,

I have an interview coming up. I was told it would be FIVE MINUTES. Any ideas on what to expect? I've never had one quite this short before.

Thanks in advance!

3. K6TEACHER19

K6TEACHER19 Rookie

May 3, 2017

Sounds to me like you need to go in prepared to sell yourself. Think about why you want to work in that school, your philosophy of ed, what you are bringing to the table as a teacher.

4. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

May 3, 2017

Yeah, make sure to include anything that uniquely qualifies you for the position or helps you to stand out.

greendream likes this.
  5. Nab

Nab Companion

May 4, 2017

I had a 5 minute interview once. It was the principal's way of deciding who he liked for the job. I didn't even really get a chance to speak - it was mostly the principal going on about the school and classroom management. It was a little weird.

I'm sure not all short interviews are like that. I'd prepare a killer intro or "elevator speech". You know, the facts you'd tell your dream employer if you were trapped in an elevator with them. I'd high-light the major qualifications and experience that make you perfect for the job. Do some research on the school, too. Maybe hit them up with a: "I saw on your website that the students in grade (whatever grade your being interviewed for) are going doing X this year. I have a lot of background in X - in fact I volunteer at Place, where I'm the go-to for X." Something like that.

6. Fresh277

Fresh277 Rookie

May 9, 2017

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I prepared myself as much as possible, specifically the "selling myself" portion, which I figured I would have to do in this short time frame. Turned out...this specific interview had three questions and that was it. I didn't even get a chance to ask them questions about the district. I didn't get the position, but I'm not too heartbroken about it. Anon55, YES, I completely agree! It was quite silly and after I found out I didn't get the position, I wasn't too upset because I knew they couldn't have seen how much I can shine through three questions.

anon55 likes this.
  7. Nab

Nab Companion

May 9, 2017

Your interview reminds me of an interview I had today. The school district has five questions that they ask every person applying for any job. The top three scores go to the school board and the school board picks the person with the highest score and best references. It's weird, to be honest. The questions didn't even really have anything to do with teaching. I think it is the school districts way of being able to say that they interview people, while still be able to just pick the people they like.

Keep looking!

8. Fresh277

Fresh277 Rookie

Jun 4, 2017

Thanks for the support, Nab! That is a super weird process to me. Very data driven! I wonder what that says about the district...(hah!)

9. Nab

Nab Companion

Jun 4, 2017

No problem! I'm sure you'll find something soon. I think lot of school districts will start posting more soon.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 6, 2017

You'll have more interviews! It sounds like they just had screening interviews. I had one like that but the principal told me up front it was a screening interview and the first question had to do with experience with a certain state test (which I did not have) so I knew right away I wouldn't get past that first interview.