5-9 Generalist

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jlyn07, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jan 28, 2010

I can get 5-9 Generalist certification if I take one three-credit course but I'm wondering if a school would ever hire me with that? I currently am certified in Early Childhood, Childhood and Literacy B-6 so I don't have a "subject" I specialize in other than Literacy/Reading.

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

Would you feel confident going for an English certification? At my school, fourth and fifth grades are already departmentalized, and the teachers in those positions are already highly qualified in their subject matters, not generalists.

4. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

Don't know about NY, but I had to turn down a job I was offered in Ohio because I didn't have a generalist license ( I did have one in IL and I taught 5th grade with it, but Ohio has limited reprocirty).
    Get it.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2010

Jlyn-Do you have 30 credits in any subject area? If you do you could get certified in that subject if you pass the CST. I don't think the generalist would do much for you since I think that all you would gain would be the ability to teach self-contained classes in grades seven through nine (which districts don't really have around here).

6. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jan 30, 2010

If you get a generalist that means you can teach any subject so that would benefit you greatly. I think it is awesome that they are offering that.