5/6th Grade Procedures and Consequences

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by OUOhYeah, Jun 18, 2015.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

Here are my procedures and consequences. Notice how I have everything written down. If you can think of anything else let me know.

Procedures and Consequences

Homework: Monday through Thursday you will have homework to reinforce the skills taught in class. Homework must be turned in the next day or it will be counted as late. Late homework will receive a 50% reduction in your grade for that assignment for up to 3 days late. NO REMINDERS WILL BE GIVEN! For example, if you forgot to do a worksheet worth 5 points, and you turn it in the next day you will receive a maximum of 2.5 points (The only exception is reading homework, which cannot be made up.) Each 9 weeks students will receive a homework pass that will allow them an extra day for any homework assignment (Unless I specifically say “NO HOMEWORK PASS MAY BE USED FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT”), however if they keep this pass all quarter in their homework folder, they will receive 5 bonus points in the subject that choose. You will LOSE any chances for ANY Extra Credit IF you are missing an assignment!
    Tests and Quizzes: During quiz and test time I will be monitoring to ensure there isn’t any cheating. Cheating is an immediate 0 in my class. I will ask you to bring the test to me and you will not be allowed to complete it. If this happens on a second occasion you will be referred to the office.

Reading Log: Every two weeks you will receive a “Reading Log” front and back. You will need to read 30 minutes AT HOME EACH DAY. However, you will have 30 minutes when you get to school to do homework, and 30 minutes before dismissal to do homework. I will allow students to read for that 30 minute time, but they must write their 3 sentences at home. Then, they must have it with them in their homework folder the next day, otherwise it is a 0. HOMEWORK PASSES WILL ONLY WORK FOR THE SENTENCES. MEANING, YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO SILENTLY READ FOR 30 MINUTES. You must also read OUTLOUD QUIETLY during this 30 minutes. If you aren’t you will read TO ME! I will be the one signing off on your form each day, but the sentences MUST be completed at home! If you are absent for a day you will still owe me 30 minutes of reading and sentences, which means you have two choices. 1.) You read the night before you come back to school. OR!!! 2.) You read 60 minutes the following night. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET THAT FINISHED!!!

Bathroom: I will let all students go to the bathroom after lunch, and during break times. You will be allowed to go ONCE a day out of our regular bathroom break times. You will not need to raise your hand and disturb the class . You will just get up and sign out on the sign out sheet on a clipboard up front of the classroom (near the board). Once you have used your bathroom break you will not be permitted to go again that day. I WILL BE KEEPING TRACK! If you do go again you will lose a marble, and/or you will lose a sticker.

Consequences: If you break a rule you will have the following consequences:
    1. Banished to Australia +
    Apology Letter
    a. Letter must be written with at least 2 paragraphs explaining why you were writing the letter, and how you will make sure it never happens again.
    b. If the letter is not brought back to school signed the next day, a phone call will be made home to a parent.
    2. Lunch/Recess Detention 3. Phone Call Home 4. Office Referral

Prize Jar: Students may earn marbles for the prize jar by following the expectations of the class. They may also lose marbles! When we reach the top of the jar a pizza party will happen, where we will watch a movie and eat pizza. This of course, will be provided by yours truly.

Sticks: I will be using sticks to help keep the class engaged in instruction. If I pick a stick the student will need to answer the question. If the student does not know the answer to the question I will pick another stick and put their stick back into the jar to be picked later. If a student answers with a great answer they will earn marbles. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME ONE STUDENT SHOULD TALK IN CLASS.

Journals: You will be given a journal for ELA to write in. I will have prompts on the board during writing time that you MUST write A FULL page about. Each week I will collect the journals and give you 5 points for completing the assignments each day, and up to 5 points for your answer from the question I choose.

Lining Up: I will ask the class to be at level 0 before we line up. Only tables that have been cleaned up and supplies put away will be allowed to line up. When we line up we will be ABSOLUTELY SILENT AND YOU WILL PUSH IN YOUR CHAIRS. There will be no talking what so ever. I will send students back to their seats if they are talking and we will start the WHOLE process over again.
    Teacher’s Desk: ABSOLUTELY NO ONE WILL BE PERMITTED BEHIND MY DESK FOR ANY REASON! This will result in a consequence!

Greeting: As you noticed today I was outside the door ready to shake your hand before you walked into the classroom. If you were talking I asked you to get your stuff and get back in line to come back into the classroom. This process will continue until the student walks into the classroom, puts their things away in the designated spot, and puts their homework out and begins working on homework/reading for 30 minutes silently. Absolutely no talking will happen during this time.

Dismissal: You will ALWAYS put the supplies back into the tubs at your desk, and then hand them to me to be locked away in my cabinet. You will also throw away any trash and make sure our room looks good for the next day. You will also sit in your chairs quietly, before I dismiss you after everything else has been completed. Then, I will ask you to push your chairs in and line up in a single file line based on your tribe. While we are lining up YOU MUST remember the rules while lining up or else we will never get dismissed .

Seating: Where you are sitting is where you will be sitting for the rest of the 1st 9 weeks. I will then have you move seats the 2nd 9 weeks, 3rd 9 weeks, and 4th 9 weeks. I will only move you if I notice behavior problems.
    Buckets: Each tribe will have a bucket with a flavor on it from the first book we will be reading. This bucket will be for all the students at that tribe to use and will HAVE TO BE KEPT IN THE CENTER OF THE GROUP AT ALL TIMES! It will be full of pencils, pens, colored pencils, and other necessities needed throughout the school day. I will lock them up after each school day in my cabinet. ALL ITEMS THAT ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE BUCKET MUST BE PUT BACK IN THE BUCKET BEFORE WE LEAVE THE CLASSROOM! If we are running low on supplies the pencil checker will need to alert me of their supply levels.

In Tray: There will be two trays. An in tray and an out tray. The team captain will collect all of the work that needs to be turned in and will turn it into the turn in tray. They must also ensure that ALL names are put onto the papers.

Classroom Jobs:
    1. Pencil Checker – Must alert me of pencils that need to be replaced. They must also check the pencils to see if they need to be sharpened. Before we leave class they must sharpen those pencils. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT SHOULD EVER SHARPEN PENCILS ARE THE PENCIL SHARPENERS!!!!
    2. Team Captain – This student will be responsible for collecting all papers (EXCEPT TESTS AND QUIZZES) that must be turned in, and turn them in to the tray. THE CAPTAIN MUST MAKE SURE THAT ALL PAPERS HAVE A NAME ON IT!!!!
    3. Cleaners – These students must keep their tribe area clean. That means they need to throw away paper from the floor, put pencils away, and help keep their tribe area nice and neat. Also, this means they will need to make sure all desks are aligned correctly.

Rewards:
    • For the student with the most homework turned in on Friday will receive another homework pass on top of their homework pass that the received at the beginning of the quarter. The same rules apply about the extra credit points . For the best behavior I will give one student per week a pass on doing 15 minutes of reading homework vs. 30. They may use the other 15 minutes for reward time. NO CARDS WILL BE ALLOWED!

• I will also hand out stickers for you to put on your folder. At the end of the quarter you will be able to buy rewards with the stickers. For example, a homework pass (NOT TO BE USED WITH READING HW), or eating with the teacher, or sitting in a rolly chair for a day. You will earn stickers for excellent behavior and being a role model for our school.

Folders:
    • This year you will be given a folder to keep all of your homework assignments and newsletters in for the school year. This homework folder is for you and your parents to keep track of how you are doing in class. I will also print progress reports each week for the students to share with you. Students will be required to bring their homework folder to school every day in order to turn in the homework. I will do folder checks each quarter, and if everyone brings their folder that day they will receive marbles added to the prize jar. If however, they do not ALL have their homework folder, they will lose marbles based off of the number of students that forgot to bring it. The idea behind this is to teach the students to have responsibility for their learning and their possessions. This folder will also be the folder you will collect your s

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 18, 2015

I personally would be overwhelmed by the amount and severity of the consequences. The all-caps makes it seem very negative. I think you are being a bit unrealistic with the number of requirements and the consequences. I don't foresee 5th and 6th graders being able to live up to these.

Just my:2cents: .

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 18, 2015

Yikes! This is very overwhelming.

5. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

And you are really going to require them to read out loud quietly during independent reasding time? I would have hated that as a student, and I don't see how it would be particularly useful.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 19, 2015

I think the expectations are a bit overwhelming and intense. It sounds like you want them to be robots and I'm sorry but that's just not realistic. And I teach 5th grade.

Also the they can only use the bathroom once rule is ridiculous. All day? (Unless you only see them once a day, if your departmentalized) I warn you against this mainly because you'll have girls at that age who NEED to go to the bathroom a couple times a day because they are dealing with their "monthly".

In my opinion the stick method for classroom engagement is terrifying. If I'm going to answer a question and I know the answer I will raise my hand. Otherwise if I was in your class and I truly didn't know the answer and my name was on the stick you randomly pulled out I'd probably cry and/or feel stupid. Why not do something more positive? Eliminate the sticks and keep the incentive for marbles for answering questions correctly. You might want to look into doing Class Dojo instead to keep track of points and they can be individualized. I've sucessfully had kids earn prizes and a pizza party using it.

I understand the need for structure and order but quite a few educators are telling you the system you designed it's pretty harsh. A key to having kids respect the classroom culture is a balance of love and firmness and letting them feel ownership of the rules as well.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

Lots of rules, and 60(!!) minutes a day in class to do homework? How do you have the time to give up for this?

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 19, 2015

That was all more complicated than my procedures for high school students!

It was really just way too much--- my eyes glazed over before I got to "seating."

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

I think for your own purposes--this might be a good rough draft. Now, I would go back and simplify your procedures until it is less than 1/2 of what you created.

Being strict on HW, procedures, etc. is okay. Although some of your policies go against the grain of how social 5th and 6th graders naturally are at age 10-12. There is one thing that I urge you to not be too strict about. That is using the bathroom. Some girls have their period in 5th and 6th grade, and your strict one time to go to the bathroom a day policy might be inconsistent with what some of your girls might be going through. Also, what if a student really needs to go a second time a day? (With cafeteria food being what it is, I am sure it will happen. :) ) Why not just let them go at the appropriate time? Try instead emphasizing that they go during time when you are not teaching, but instead when they are doing seat work or working with groups. I know if my principal told the teachers they can only go to the bathroom once a day, there would be mayhem. If this is true for adults, then we need to have some leniency for 5th and 6th graders.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

Banishment to Australia and a multi-paragraph apology letter for breaking a rule?

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

YOU have to think through these things so you know what you want to happen, but if you hand this to your students they will never read, not to mention understand, everything.

And it kind of seems like you might have found the best ideas around the internet, and copied and pasted your favorites together. There is NOTHING wrong with copying and pasting! But you have a lot of random ideas-stickers and sticks, prize box, Australia, tribes (?), marbles, folders...overwhelming with a capital O!

I say this with experience. I taught 6th grade, and my first year I had a document very (eerily, actually) similar to this. I wanted to cover everything. But it was so hard to follow, to stick with every single rule and regulation, that I ended up dumping it asap.

So don't get down, but now go back and pretend you are a 6th grader. What do they NEED to know on the first day? What will you teach them on the second? What can wait until the second week? And this is middle school...do they really need a take home folder? With stickers? And marbles? There will be students who feel this is pretty babyish...

So, a great start-this document (with some modifications) would be nice to hand to your principal, but don't give this to the students. They won't read it.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

Curious as to why Reading homework can't be made up and why they have to write their sentences at home?

This is completely overwhelming for me as an adult; I can't imagine how 11 and 12 year old students will feel. I worry that so much time will be spent policing, that there won't be time for the relationship building that is so important in classroom management.

A few things that you'll need to consider:
    - As others have said, many of your girls will need to visit the bathroom more than once a day. Saying that they have scheduled times won't always work.
    - What will you do in regards to your seating plan if it just isn't working? There are many times things just don't work and it isn't always because of behaviour problems.
    - How will you decide who the "best behaved" student is each week? The kids will want to know this and will not respect what they may view as an arbitrary decision.

13. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I'd happily be banished to Australia. ;)

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

Just throwing this out there...it's usually Siberia, not Australia.

15. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I see a lot of angry parents in your future. I have a rising fifth grader I would request a change of teachers if he brought this home. I'm sure you want a structured class, but you are forgetting to keep in mind how 5/6th graders think. These things really stick out as possible problems.
    No reminders- do you mean never, because kids forget
    Bathroom- already mentioned by others, but really think about how often you go, limit yourself to your policy and see how it works out.
    Reading- how are they reading silently and out loud at the same time. What about kids who freeze up when asked to read out loud. Expect angry parents when you embarrass a kid I front of the class.
    Rules- what are the rules? And how can you justify banishment and a multi paragraph apology for one rule? Also writing should not be used as punishment. Again insert angry parent.
    Over all you need to simplify your procedures and think about this will be perceived by others. You might also want to run thins by your admin. it never good for the P to blindsided by angry parents.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

I teach 5th, and this is just WAY too harsh for them - it made me feel uncomfortable reading it, and I am an adult! As others have said, please do not give them a document like this. There are better, less overwhelming, more hands on ways to teach procedures and rules.

I have a lot of the same problems as others, but I guess i'll reiterate anyway:
    - Choosing the best behaved student each week is asking for trouble. It's too arbitrary. Fifth and sixth graders are too smart for that, and they will resent you for doing something like this.
    - Why are you giving them 60 minutes to do homework in class?
    - Reading out loud quietly is not appropriate for this age group. The vast majority of 5th and 6th grade students read silently very successfully. They will resent you for this as well, especially your high readers.
    - It's been said, but I'll repeat it - don't limit the bathroom breaks. Parents will be furious. This is not a hill you want to die on. Instead, teach them to be responsible about WHEN they go to the bathroom - during independent work time vs. direct instruction time.
    - Your consequences are very harsh. Do you really mean to say that if a student talks out of turn ONE time (because you said this was for the first offense breaking one rule), they are going to be banished to Australia and then write a multi paragraph essay about what they did? I can picture you having about 10 kids sitting back there doing this at the same time. 5th and 6th graders are a very chatty bunch.
    - I would never limit myself to when I change their seats. My students this year knew that it would be about every 6-9 weeks, but it was based on my discretion.
    - I'm uneasy with having less independent reading time be a reward. That sends the message that reading is a chore, and getting out of it is to be desired. My avid readers would have been very confused by a message like this because they didn't see reading as homework and they certainly didn't limit their reading to 30 minutes a night.
    - I'm also uncomfortable with using writing as a punishment.

I think this goes back to basic classroom management philosophy. Are you there to enforce a dictatorship and set up a million rules to keep the kids in line? Then go with something like this. But, are you there to train and teach children to be responsible citizens and make good choices on their own? Then, please don't go with something like this. If you have a system that is this rigid and unflinching (as evidenced by the frequent use of caps), you and the students are going to have a very stressful year.

17. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Okay, I would like all of you to please note that I am a first year teacher and have been told that the students I will have next year are rough. I know a few of them personally and they are pretty unstructured. I really do not appreciate the negative comments towards me as an educator.. I think there was one person that actually wanted to help me out. However, I am a bit upset at how many of you are bashing me as if I have tons of experience, you know? I am trying to think through everything possible. Now that I hear it is overwhelming I can finalize. I was just asking for opinions. I honestly would have expected a lot of critique from teachers, but nothing like this. This makes me feel horrible to be honest.

Also the reading outloud thing has to go back to their reading scores. Most of them are significantly low.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

Ok, so I apologize if you feel bad, but maybe you could have offered up some more information in your first post? Perhaps give your situation, let us know that you have a difficult class rising, and that you want to make sure you are covered in all areas. We will help. Your first post kind of made it sound like "here's what I'm doing, no questions".

Knowing what you just said here, then I would doubly suggest that while in the background YOU need to have this information, what you present to the kids should be simple, cut and dry, and practiced endlessly in those first days.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

I won't be another negative Nellie, but, you asked for advice and received it from many veteran teachers.

I can't really give you much advice...I didn't finish reading.

Can you condense all that into just a few classroom rules, and make things more positive? Please ask if you need specific advice on changes. I understand that you are a new teacher and you don't know much about your students yet.

The best way to develop a rapport with rough students is to get them to respect you..not by giving them pages of rules that are so complicated your peers couldn't follow it.

20. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Well, thank you for the apology! My class will be rough. Mostly ADHD students and low level readers, which is why I will give them so much time to read. I want them to practice, you know? Also, this is an urban setting, where they have little structure at home. I want them to feel like I care about them and I was told to be rough. I have met these kids and worked with them and I care about all of them. Maybe my mind is thinking one way and it isn't translating well. I 100% would never have given this document to any of my students EVER without consulting someone. I apologize for making you think that. I think I was in a rush while typing my first post.

My question is, if my students refuse to listen to me, how do I get them to listen to me? They are that type of class. I have been told to be SUPER hard the first month that I do this... I was taught to use Responsive Classroom while student teaching. I love it, and me being harsh doesn't sound like me.... I really need help.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

As a first year teacher, you will want to keep things simple. You want to establish routines and structure in your classroom, but the ability to follow through is important. If you have several students facing consequences for a variety of infractions, you are going to be doing a lot of paper-chasing. Think about things you can do that won't make more work for yourself. Things like moving a student's seat, having a private conversation in the hall or keeping them for a couple of minutes at lunch time can send a strong message without taking much of your time.

Try not to judge your group before you meet them. Go in with high expectations and they just might rise to meet them. Respect your students as individuals and get to know their needs. The key to good classroom management is being firm, fair and consistent; your students will recognize and respect that.

22. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Okay, thank you for that! My students cannot line up in a single file line, facing forward correctly. When I say line up (when I did my demo) they got into a clump and I showed them how to line up. They still got into a clump. The other teachers at my school are telling me I will have the worst class in the building, and I want to show them that they are good kids. I know I just gave a lot of things, but those are just things I am thinking of. I want to show these people that I can manage my classroom well. How can I do that if they refuse to listen to me? I believe respect has to be earned and I don't think I have earned their respect yet. How can I do this?

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2015

In my experience, I've discovered that other people's opinions about students is based on their relationships with those students. Although you may have to hear them out, you are under no obligation to prejudge your students and expect the worse. They may just surprise you by allowing you to get to know them and not their misinterpreted reputations. Kids can be reinvented every day if we give them the opportunity to begin again with the right tools to build their self-esteem and motivation to do their best. Remember that they are still discovering who they are and it is our job to help guide them, even when they take a wrong turn. We never just watch them go the wrong way and continue to drive them in that wrong direction. We turn them around with our support, love, encouragement, and belief in them even when they still haven't learned to believe in themselves.:hugs:

mrsboxley likes this.
  24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

The biggest thing you will want to work on for the first part of the school year is classroom management. Set your expectations clearly, practice them A LOT, and follow through with appropriate consequences.

I would suggest that you meet with your students and come up with some basic classroom rules and consequences. You may be surprised that their consequences may be more drastic than yours!

Have you tried googling "classroom rules for 5th or 6th grade" and see what other teachers have used? Google is my best friend when I want to know what other teacher's ideas are.

Try to relax and don't think of your class as rough. Challenging might be a more positive term for you to concentrate on.

25. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

I don't think this document was me treating them inhumanly. I also believe my class will be challenging, but I hear a lot of these words already.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

Don't listen to what the other teachers are saying. Children respond differently to a different situation. Respect them, listen to them, and show them that you care about them. They will rise to your expectations!

27. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

So where should I begin with editing this? I honestly want my students to know that I care, but that I mean business. I want them to come into school everyday and be super excited to work hard.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

I have condensed your first paragraph into what would be the most important information for my 5/6 class. All those other rules would be overwhelming, and not necessary in my class. I'm not saying you have to run your class the same way...just that less is better.

29. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015

So I'm also going to be a first year teacher, and this summer I'm reading The Classroom Management Book by Wong and Wong. They wrote the classic First Days of School, but it's their newer book with suggestions for all kinds of procedures. There are couple that I don't like or won't use, but mostly it's been REALLY great and easing a lot of my concerns for the upcoming year. You might find it as helpful as I do. I've been working in schools for years but I still feel like I need to do my studying up in the summer to decide how I want to do things. I think it's great that you wrote out all of your procedures and I plan to do something similar, but maybe just in a more simple and easy to understand format and with different types of consequences.

Also, I don't think anyone was trying to attack you personally, they were just offering constructive criticism. Being flexible and able to see what needs improvement is a skill that will be important for both of us this year!

Edit to add: This blog post might also be helpful. It was for me. Also, I have no association whatsoever to either this blog or the book! http://teachinginroom6.blogspot.com/2014/08/classroom-procedures-are-must.html (I don't know why the URL is showing up like this, you'll have to just copy and paste...)

30. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Oh I know, and I want help. I always will want help and advice. I just felt like they were attacking me as a teacher because of my inexperience. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they did that because I have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

Thanks!

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

You are going to need to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. And when you think they've got a procedure down, you'll review, review, review. Use real life to talk about homework. Give them something to take home (something easy, that everyone will do) on the first day. Then the next day, practice how you want them to turn it in. Do this several times that day. Talk about what will happen if it is late. Try to predict any situation-what if someone is sick? What if someone leaves it in their locker? What if someone doesn't do the assignment? Anticipate.

Practice going to the bathroom. I don't agree at all with one break a day, or whatever you said to begin with. That's not me being harsh, that's me being realistic. If you try this, I promise you it will not end well. Now, you might have school rules to follow here, but in general, it's never a good idea to say out loud to students that they will only get X amount of breaks, at certain times. Because someone WILL have to go at a different time. And what will you do in that situation? You'll be backed into a corner, and you'll have to make a tough call, and SOMEONE will be mad about it. You'll be lucky if it's the kid. I would suggest (provided your school allows you autonomy) a more flexible break schedule-you'll have to work that out.

The reading thing-I don't know your students, but just making the read more isn't going to make them read better.

You asked where to edit this-please reconsider handing this to the kids. Like, at all. Just don't. Practice with them instead, until they can tell you the procedures. Involve them.

Above all, you may have heard stories, but I'll echo MrsC-please don't pass judgment on them now. You can't make them respect you, but you can treat them with respect and hold them to high expectations. They will respond in kind.

32. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

Are you referring to repeated oral readings here?

My biggest advice for classroom management is develop a rapport with your students, talk and interact with them a lot. Have fun with them.

33. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

I wasn't at all going to hand this to them, it was just for my mental thinking and what I need to set in stone for the first day, if that makes sense? I know that wasn't clear earlier.

I know reading for 30 minutes will help them read better. I honestly feel like they will increase fluency if they practice, practice, practice. I will also be modeling things and working with them on comprehension and vocabulary. I love reading and I want them to learn how to read well.

34. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 19, 2015

I'm sorry you felt attacked. Your first post scared me in terms of unrealistic expectations of students. I totally get needing to be firm. My next upcoming class was just like the class you're getting. They were a mess in 3rd. But their current 4th grade teachers structured their day and set rules, procedures and boundaries. They were known as the "bad kids". Now I see them in the hallways and in class attentive, engaged and well behaved. More so than my own students. Like I said before the key to managing students effectively is a balance of love and firmness. Also be consistent with expectations and consequences. Personally I feel what you envision will be hard to implement over time.

You'll find what works for you. Don't be afraid to reach out to this community. We are willing to help. Why not revise your thoughts on an updated procedure/rules list and let us help you. If people can help others fix their resume and cover letters I'm pretty sure we can help you fix your procedures/rules.

35. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Here's an updated one hopefully this looks better:
    Procedures and Consequences

Homework: Monday through Thursday you will have homework to reinforce the skills taught in class. Homework must be turned in the next day. Late homework will receive a 50% reduction in your grade for that assignment. Each 9 weeks students will receive a homework pass that will allow them an extra day for any homework assignment if they keep this pass all quarter in their homework folder, they will receive 5 bonus points in the subject that they choose.

Tests and Quizzes: During quiz and test time I will be monitoring to ensure there isn’t any cheating. Cheating is an immediate 0 in my class. I will ask you to bring the test to me and you will not be allowed to complete it. If this happens on a second occasion you will be referred to the office.

Reading Log: Every two weeks you will receive a “reading log” front and back. You will need to reading 30 minutes each day.

Consequences: If you break a rule you will have the following consequences:
    1. Banished to Australia for 15 minutes
    2. Apology Letter
    a. Letter must be written with at least 2 paragraphs explaining why you were writing the letter, and how you will make sure it never happens again.
    b. If the letter is not brought back to school signed the next day, a phone call will be made home to a parent.
    3. Lunch/Recess Detention
    4. Phone Call Home
    5. Office Referral

Prize Jar: Students may earn marbles for the prize jar by following the expectations of the class. They may also lose marbles! When we reach the top of the jar a pizza party will happen, where we will watch a movie and eat pizza. This of course, will be provided by yours truly.

Sticks: I will be using sticks to help keep the class engaged in instruction. If I pick a stick the student will need to answer the question. If the student does not know the answer to the question I will pick another stick and put their stick back into the jar to be picked later.

Journals: You will be given a journal for ELA to write in. I will have prompts on the board during writing time that you MUST write A FULL page about. Each week I will collect the journals and give you 5 points for completing the assignments each day, and up to 5 points for your answer from the question I choose.

Lining Up: I will ask the class to be at level 0 before we line up. Only tables that have been cleaned up and supplies put away will be allowed to line up. When we line up we will be ABSOLUTELY SILENT AND YOU WILL PUSH IN YOUR CHAIRS. There will be no talking what so ever. I will send students back to their seats if they are talking and we will start the WHOLE process over again.

Bathroom: You will need to sign out before going to the bathroom. You do not need to raise your hand and ask me, just go. When you return you will sign back in.

Teacher’s Desk: Students will not be permitted behind my desk for any reason.

Greeting: As you noticed today I was outside the door ready to shake your hand before you walked into the classroom. If you were talking I asked you to get your stuff and get back in line to come back into the classroom. This process will continue until the student walks into the classroom, puts their things away in the designated spot, and puts their homework out and begins working on homework/reading for 30 minutes silently. Absolutely no talking will happen during this time.

Dismissal: You will ALWAYS put the supplies back into the tubs at your desk, and then hand them to me to be locked away in my cabinet. You will also throw away any trash and make sure our room looks good for the next day. You will also sit in your chairs quietly, before I dismiss you after everything else has been completed. Then, I will ask you to push your chairs in and line up in a single file line based on your tribe. While we are lining up YOU MUST remember the rules while lining up or else we will never get dismissed .

Seating: Where you are sitting is where you will be sitting for the rest of the 1st 9 weeks. I will then have you move seats the 2nd 9 weeks, 3rd 9 weeks, and 4th 9 weeks. I reserve the right to move seats.

Buckets: Each tribe will have a bucket with a flavor on it from the first book we will be reading. This bucket will be for all the students at that tribe to use and will HAVE TO BE KEPT IN THE CENTER OF THE GROUP AT ALL TIMES! It will be full of pencils, pens, colored pencils, and other necessities needed throughout the school day. I will lock them up after each school day in my cabinet. ALL ITEMS THAT ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE BUCKET MUST BE PUT BACK IN THE BUCKET BEFORE WE LEAVE THE CLASSROOM! If we are running low on supplies the pencil checker will need to alert me of their supply levels.

Classroom Jobs:
    1. Pencil Checker – Must alert me of pencils that need to be replaced. They must also check the pencils to see if they need to be sharpened. Before we leave class they must sharpen those pencils. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT SHOULD EVER SHARPEN PENCILS ARE THE PENCIL SHARPENERS!!!!
    2. Team Captain – This student will be responsible for collecting all papers (EXCEPT TESTS AND QUIZZES) that must be turned in, and turn them in to the tray. THE CAPTAIN MUST MAKE SURE THAT ALL PAPERS HAVE A NAME ON IT!!!!
    3. Cleaners – These students must keep their tribe area clean. That means they need to throw away paper from the floor, put pencils away, and help keep their tribe area nice and neat. Also, this means they will need to make sure all desks are aligned correctly.

Rewards:
    • For the student with the most homework turned in on Friday will receive another homework pass on top of their homework pass that the received at the beginning of the quarter. The same rules apply about the extra credit points . For example, pokemon cards will not be permitted.

• I will also hand out stickers for you to put on your folder. At the end of the quarter you will be able to buy rewards with the stickers. For example, a homework pass, or eating with the teacher, or sitting in a rolly chair for a day. You will earn stickers for being a role model for our school.
    Folders:
    • This year you will be given a folder to keep all of your homework assignments and newsletters in for the school year. This homework folder is for you and your parents to keep track of how you are doing in class. I will also print progress reports each week for the students to share with you. Students will be required to bring their homework folder to school every day in order to turn in the homework. I will do folder checks each quarter, and if everyone brings their folder that day they will receive marbles added to the prize jar. If however, they do not ALL have their homework folder, they will lose marbles based off of the number of students that forgot to bring it. The idea behind this is to teach the students to have responsibility for their learning and their possessions. This folder will also be the folder you will collect your stickers on.

36. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

I would really think about a different first consequence. You can't always send a student to Australia (I'm guessing that's a time out area?) for 15 minutes. What will you do if you already have one student there and another student breaks a rule?

37. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

1. Teacher Conference w/ Student
    2. Lunch/Recess Detention
    3. Apology Letter (Banished to Australia) 15 minutes. Will write letter there.
    4. Phone Call Home
    5. Office Referral

I thought about it and you were right. Thank you!

38. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 19, 2015

It's still so wordy and some of it is contradictory. For example, why have the sticks if they don't have to answer when called on if they don't know the answer? Just lose the sticks and use another method to track and encourage participation.

The letter they have to write will be a joy for them because while they're doing that, they can avoid the other work. Have a fill in the blank form instead.

Rather than have all of that independent reading time, do mini phonics/comprehension/fluency lessons and practice for 20 minutes. Have 10 minutes of SILENT reading time.

39. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

What is the point of the reading log? Do you think it will hold students accountable for actually reading? It won't.

40. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

No, but I believe the sentences will.

Also, I like the sticks idea. I felt like I called on the same students while I was student teaching, so the sticks will eliminate that.

41. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 19, 2015

I'll reiterate that if you have a spare hour every day for reading and homework, then use that time for direct instruction and skills practice. You could even teach them social skills a couple of times a week; they would probably benefit greatly from thatand there are curricula available. Your school psych could help you on that end.