5/6 Job Chart Ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BreezyGirl, Jun 20, 2015.

1. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 20, 2015

Hello Teachers...

I'm finally getting my own room! So excited!

I am a firm believer on students taking care of the classroom and helping in the classroom. Even when I sub, I ensure the room is tidy so the janitor doesn't have to "pick up" after the students. And, I always ask who would like to help hand out papers, etc...

What chart has been useful to you? I have seen so many ways but would love to hear what you do or see a picture.

In my room, I know I will have:
    Floor Sweeper
    Runner (takes things to office)
    Passer Outer (hand out papers)
    Whiteboard Clean Up (I always have kids asking if they can clean the board)

Everyone will stack their chairs before they go home.

What else do you do? :)

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 20, 2015

My job chart is REAL simple. I made job labels in Powerpoint, printed, and laminated. I did the same thing with each kid's name. I then put magnet tape on the back of all of it, and it's on a file cabinet in my room.

My jobs:
    Door holder
    Line leader
    Homework checker
    Banker (pays students for homework completion)
    Librarians (organize classroom library)

However, I am strongly considering changing things up next year. I've seen online where a teacher does job applications and the same students have the same jobs for a semester or so. I think I may move to that next year, because I got really tired of having to remind kids to do their jobs. I'll need to come up with more jobs, though. Probably cleaning. I definitely want the librarians to be a semester-long job. That just wasn't getting done last year.

4. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 21, 2015

I saw the job application idea as well! So funny you mentioned that. :) I thought it was a neat idea because then kids will be able to have a choice and do what they like. If I do this, I may do something like they choose 3 jobs in order of preference. That way I eliminate everyone just wanting to be the class runner. :) I like the idea of having it last longer than a week, too. If I had a schedule I wouldn't have to crate a job chart. Hmmm.... I'm going to think on this one and how I could make it work.

I like how you titled the jobs. Librarian! Love! I wonder what I could call the person who runs the attendance to the office or does a task outside of the classroom? Hehehe....

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 21, 2015

It's tricky. I just wasn't super happy with my system last year. I know I definitely want them to last more than a week.

I think I used to call that person Messenger when I had that job at my other school. I should probably bring it back. Messenger? Office Monitor? I'm not really creative with the names, haha! In upper grades, I think "manager" is a good title. Supply Manager, etc.

6. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 21, 2015

yellowdaisies...

Manager! I like the sound of that! Ideally, I would like several jobs, but not too many. Some will need two people. I'm only going to have 18 in my class, so if I change jobs every 2 weeks, everyone will most likely get their first choice at least once.

I'll probably have them number order their preferences and do a short written part about why they chose their top choice. I can also see how they write. :) And, I'm in a Christian school so I'm going to add Grace as a Christian Perspective. Grace meaning how we handle ourselves if we get the position we wanted or how we are if we don't get our top choice right away.

I'm excited to try this. :)

I'm working on titles. :)

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 21, 2015

That sounds awesome! I do have 2 people for some jobs. I have 28, though, so it's harder for me to get a job for everyone! Let me know what you come up with!

8. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 21, 2015

28 is a lot harder. I'm very lucky. I will let you know what I do. :) And I'll come up with a chart to show who's doing which jobs for the 2 weeks. I'm thinking I'll do 2 weeks. 1 week doesn't seem long enough, but a month seems long. I can always switch it, too. I'm flexible. :)

9. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

This is a great thread. I will have 30-35 in fifth, so I'm reviving this in hopes that others may have more ideas to contribute for running jobs in 5th grade with so many students.

10. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 17, 2015

I've thought about this a lot as I was torn on what to do this fall. Here is my plan of action so far. I only have 18 kids.

I am doing jobs on a 2 week rotation. There are 9 jobs for the classroom (some are done in pairs.) I am going to have my students fill out a "job application." They will be able to choose the top 4 jobs they would love to do throughout the year. And, I will also ask their least favourite job and why. :)

I will make sure everyone gets there top 4. I can revisit choices later in the year, too.

My jobs will be:
    1 messenger: takes attendance to office, goes to other classrooms for supplies, etc...
    2 managers: pick up and hand out papers, folders, notices.
    2 librarians: tidy bookshelves.
    2 cleaners: sweep and wipe sink counter area.
    1 assistant: wipe down whiteboard, change date, etc.
    1 sub: in case anyone is away. If more than 1 away, the sub can choose someone to help them.

I don't have much wall space and only have a few bulletin boards. I don't want to use my boards for a chart. So, I am going to use a top corner section on my whiteboard. I bought magnetic borders to make a frame. I will write the job and the names every two weeks. I will either use my colourful whiteboard markers or I will make magnets.

I'm sure I will alter things as I go, but this is my plan. :)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 17, 2015

My theme was always Space (I was a NASA education ambassador). My jobs were NASA related. The ones I can remember:

FLIGHT (Flight Director): Responsible for making sure all other jobs were done
    CAPCOM (Communications): Lunch count, messages delivered
    PROP (Propulsion Engineer): I can't remember what this person did, but I know it was a job and it was popular because I can hear the kids say "yes, I'm PROP today!"
    FAO (Flight Activities Officer): Moved the jobs to the next person at the end of the day
    PAYLOAD (Payload Officer): Hand out papers
    INCO (Instrumentation and Communications Officer): Turned on and off computers, Smart board, and made sure all devices were returned
    GC (Ground Controller): pick up trash around the room
    CDR (Shuttle Command): Line everyone up for lunch (this was the most popular-in my school they had to sit at tables how they were lined up, so getting it right before leaving the room was important. However, they couldn't just say David line up, then Trevor-it had to be something content related, as in line up if your birthday is a prime number)

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. If you know anything about NASA, or have seen Apollo 13, you know NASA is heavy with acronyms. It was a good way to segue into science when we learned about these positions. Some jobs didn't have much to do, others were work heavy. We rotated at the end of every day, which I know sounds like a lot but it wasn't that bad-I used a big list and clothespins.

12. 2nd gr teacher

2nd gr teacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

I always instill responsibility in my students BUT I always forgot...or really never had time...to change jobs. I finally came up with the best idea least year- I have one personal assistant who does several jobs, which are listed on a bulletin, and are stated below. My personal assistant may choose as many helpers as they need. But I also have a broom and other items that any student can use at any time. The personal assistant completes all of the jobs for a full week. Then I go down my list of students to ensure each student has a full week of being my personal assistant. This also helps so that I don't ever have one student I ask for help...like a "teacher's pet." Students loooove the full week of doing all of the jobs and they looove having the ability to choose friends to help with what they want, when they want. This also takes up less bulletin space. I simply use an ilaminated poster (half the size of a real poster with a decorated border) to write the student's name with dry erase and a few small cards with the jobs.

Here are some of my jobs:
    Mailbox (pass out papers from office and work from the classroom placed in student mailboxes)
    Paper passer outer (pass out worksheets to complete in class)
    line leader
    turn on/off lights when using Elmo or when leaving classroom, etc
    messenger- deliver items to office or other teachers
    check desks and chairs at end of day
    etc.

13. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2015

I have a system that my students a few years ago helped me develop:

I have four groups (Regions) and the students are in the same Region for the entire year.

My students, a few years ago, came and asked me to let them decide who does what job(s). So, every three weeks I rotate job groupings.

Region 1 may have: messenger, teacher helper, papers
    Region 2 may have: garbage/recycle, clean-up, homework
    Etc.

It's up to the members of each Region to choose how they're going to delegate what jobs each will have. The Region Captain can help facilitate this.

Since I've done this, the students have taken ownership, so I then just have to say "Please do your jobs" at about five minutes before dismissal and the room's abuzz with activity (and of course talking about non-job stuff!) *sigh*

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 23, 2015

My jobs included: attendance/lunch count recorder, office runner, paper passer, lunch ticket distribution(2), equipment managers (2), whiteboard eraser, librarian, pet care (2), spot checker, and on occasion interior decorator when it was time to redo bulletin boards or change out seasonal decor. I always named a few students a subs in case someone was absent. A few trusted students were on call for homework collection and management for these absent students (writing down assignments, collecting worksheets, etc.)