5/6 Grade Reading and Language Arts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by abequette, Jul 25, 2014.

1. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

Ok, so I have just recently been offered a position to teach 5/6 grade reading and language arts. Which is great, but my problem is that I have only taught math and science previously. So I feel completely lost and school will be starting before I know it. For all of you experienced reading and language arts teachers, do you have any tips, suggestions or pointers. I think I will love it once I get started but it is just so overwhelming right now. Do you use centers or small groups? And if so, what do those entail? What about reading lists ect.? I will take any helpful advice or info I can get at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 26, 2014

I use both centers and small groups. Students work independently in centers while I pull groups. Check out the book Guided Readers and Writers 3-6. It is really helpful!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2014

I have used Daily 5 for three years now and I love it. They have tons of info, both free and paid for subscriptions online. If you have a bit of time, look them up and view some of their videos. It was completely overwhelming when I first took a look but after trying it out, slowly at first, it all fell into place and it works for me. Daily 5 is the management part and CAFE is the instructional part.

5. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely check out the daily 5. As for the centers, what type of centers do you use? What activities do you have them work on in their centers?

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

Before diving into curriculum and which delivery method consider diagnostic-prescriptive pretests to find where the students are in terms of skill level. Sometimes a teacher may plan for a group of students who don't show up (I did) and have to start over.

Early on, might be useful to examine student writing from results of a prompt and basic directions aligned with whatever test(s) coming down the road. This should give you a handle on where kids are in terms of content, mechanics etc. Some teachers "chart" and record the first writing into columns and headings - spelling, punctuation, topic sentence, precise word choice etc. - ending up with a a graph-like document showing whole class (and individual) strengths and weaknesses. From this record one can plan lessons to target needs.

How about fluency testing the first week? Again, this can target some of the needs in reading.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2014

I agree that some assessments are needed to plan instruction but it's a good idea to also be informed on different reading structures so it can be taught to students from the get go. I always begin with fluency assessments while implementing my program. As students Read to Self and Work on Writing the first week, I pull students for fluency tests. From there, I move to other assignments which give me a measure of where they're at and give direction for instruction. Students are so engaged in reading and writing that I have the quiet time I need to work with individuals and small groups.

8. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

I would think that Daily 5/CAFE would be the BEST structure for a split-grade class.

I do "Fab Four" (instead of 5) since I want my 5th graders to spend more time reading & writing. We also do some listening (I have a few classics on Ipod*) and Word Work (focusing on word structures/syllabication/vocabulary), but they have to read & write every day & do the other two sometime during the week.

*I found a 5-way splitter headphone "jack" and my students each bring in their own earbuds/headphones. I found a few at the 99-cent store for those who don't bring them in. I even saw them for $4 at Walmart yesterday!

Chele :)