4th to 2nd???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by K_luv30, Apr 16, 2009.

1. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Apr 16, 2009

I've recently been notified that I will be teaching 2nd grade next year. I've only taught 4th grade for the past 2 years. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, and/or words of wisdom? What should I expect? Anything else I should know? Thank you in advance. :D

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2009

I :love: second grade!!! They are very young when they first come into your room (they are still like 1st graders). You need to model everything and practice with them. Do a lot of guided exercises with reading and writing so they can see what you expect and how to succeed. You can still do cute things in 2nd grade because they aren't in the "I'm too cool for this" stage yet. They aren't nearly as independent as your 4th graders, but they gain independence throughout the year. I love teaching second...I taught it for 2 years. It really is a great age because most of them still love school and their teacher. Many may still believe in Santa as well! GL!!!

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

They are sweet at the beginning but become cliche-ish by the end of the year.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2009

My kids weren't really clique-ish until they hit third grade. But I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Mine were (thankfully) still sweet and innocent at the end of 2nd grade.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

I love 2nd grade. If you are coming from 4th grade, they will seem like "babies" to you! At the beginning of the year, they are so little! Model, model, model everything! Take nothing for granted -- they don't know which side of the paper is the front (when using notebook paper) -- you have to remind them that the holes go on the left. Then you have to teach them left from right so it makes sense! You have to teach them where to put their name on the paper. Heck, half the time they are still learning to put their name on their paper.

Speaking of paper: You begin the year writing on the big thick lined paper with dashed lines in the middle. By mid year you can transition them over to regular notebook paper. They make so many changes.

You can do all kinds of creative things -- so order lots of construction paper! Put glue sticks on your supply list rather than glue bottles, because even though their K and 1st grade teachers taught them "dot dot not a lot" they still love to play with glue and make a mess! You have to teach them not to unscrew the glue stick to the point that they glue falls out, to put the lid back on when they are finished, and not to smash the lid on the unscrewed glue, which of course, ruins the glue stick.

2nd graders love to tattle. You have to be prepared for that. They also come to you to solve all of their problems -- so you have to teach them to be self-sufficient whenever possible. (You say Billy is sticking his tongue out at you? Did you tell Billy that you don't like it and that he needs to stop it right now? You didn't? Well go try that and let me know if he stops!")

Many schools insist that K, 1, and 2 use tables rather than desks, so find out which you'll be using. It makes a huge difference in how you lay out your classroom and how you store supplies.

What reading and math series will you be using? (It is probably the same series that you are using in 4th, just a different grade level.) If we know, some teachers probably have some resources you can access.

Oh yes, at the beginning of the year until at least the half way mark, you have to read all the tests aloud! That takes some getting used to.

And last, but not least, when you ask them to read independently, they will all read out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Most aren't ready to transition to silent reading until the middle of 2nd grade.) It is hysterical if you aren't use to it!!!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2009

So true about independent reading outloud!! :lol: I forgot about that part!

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 17, 2009

I just did that jump this year. PATIENCE, patience, patience with them. They are so cute but they can't do what 4th graders can. Directions need to repeated until you are blue in the face, they move slow, and always want to talk to you!! But they are cute. Next year I am moving to third.

9. Iheart2ndgrade

Iheart2ndgrade New Member

Apr 18, 2009

I moved from 3rd & 4th to 2nd 2 years ago by choice - I was tired of TAKS. I absolutly love it! I agree with what everyone else has said already especially the tattling!

10. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Apr 21, 2009

Thank you! Your responses are extremely helpful! Keep them coming!

11. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Apr 21, 2009

A few questions...
    =)
    Is there a protocol, or procedure you use to handle situations like these?
    I'm pretty sure I have access to both, so which did you prefer?

:thanks: