4th. of July Art

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2006

Any good art ideas??? I have quite a few, but am always looking for some new ideas for the kids.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

Here's a cute one:

Independence Day Bells
    Crayola Supplies

Washable Markers
    School Glue
    Washable Window Markers

Other Supplies
    chenille sticks
    plastic wrap (colors)
    foam drinking cups

Why?
    Celebrate your country's independence day! Young children delight in making these easy bell decorations with picnic supplies.
    How?
    1. Foam drinking cups are shaped just like bells. What a great way to decorate for an Independence Day party! How is your country's holiday celebrated? Are there fireworks? A parade? Flags? Bells ringing? Picnics?
    2. Turn two foam drinking cups upside down to make your bells. Draw patriotic pictures on the outside with Crayola® Washable Markers. Try Crayola® Washable Window Markers, too. Make your designs colorful!
    3. Ask an adult to help you poke the end of a chenille stem through the bottom of one cup. Wrap a small piece of colorful plastic wrap around the end of the stem to make the bell's clanger. Use a drop of Crayola® School Glue to hold it in place.
    4. Poke the other end of the stem through the second cup. Make another clanger. Form a loop in the stem between the two cups to hang the bells. Dry.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 11, 2006

It depends on where you live -- but, if you have queen anne's lace growing in your area, you can use it to paint fireworks. (You can get a photo of queen anne's lace at Google Images.)

Just set out plates of red paint, white paint, and blue paint -- along with black construction paper. The children dip the queen anne's lace into the paint and dab it onto the black paper. It really looks like fireworks exploding!

6. lex

lex Rookie

Jun 11, 2006

I did two patriotic crafts that turned out to be pretty cute.
    4th of July wreath - have the kids paint a paper plate (with the center cut out) red or blue. Later they glued on precut red, white and blue stars. Punch two holes in the top and thread a patriotic ribbon to make a wreath.
    I also made a patriotic picture frame to use up craft sticks and star stickers I had. The kids painted the individual sticks red, white or blue. I hot glued them together then they decorated with gold star stickers or foam stars when they dried.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2006

Thanks for the ideas everyone! You've got my wheels turning! I love the 4th...one main reason is, my youngest son was born on the 4th!

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 16, 2006

Here's a few of the things I've done over the years. Maybe a new idea here for you. 1.fireworks- marble paint with red, white & blue paints (lay paper in a shallow box or pan, dip marbles in paint, place on paper, as child moves box around the rolling marbles make designs-no two the same! 2.fireworks- child drizzles glue over paper then sprinkle with multi-colors of glitter 3. collage of foods glued on paper plates 4. flag- show & discuss a real flag & meaning of stars & stripes, care of, showing respect, etc.-paint a flag then add star stickers, or give children blue square, red stripes to glue on a sheet of flag-shaped paper, then add star stickers 5. discuss the US as a country, also discuss other countries & their flags 6. parades- make instruments and have a parade 7. have a picnic-for fun, not competition-watermelon eating, pie eating (this could be "cool whip"), relays for fun not competition 8. art-picnic scene-on construction paper, bottom half glue table cloth/blanket (this can be from scraps of material, wallpaper...) now add other details 9. art-watermelon slice- cut paper plate in half, red & green paper-cut & glue rind & melon, then glue on seeds (real or black paper)
    10. listen & sing a lot of patriotic music

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

Make flags out of popsicle sticks. Just glue about 6 of them on two slanted sticks. Then paint. For the stars, I used a craft punch and punched out white stars which they stuck onto the wet paint. Hang with a ribbon if you want.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

I did something last summer. I put paint in a ziplock bag and the kids threw it at a large piece of paper.
    Let me see if I can find the lesson plan I used.
    I also did bubble art. You use dish soap and food coloring. but in a small bowl, and than blow bubbles with a straw.
    Once they have bubbles put a piece of paper on top.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2006

Daisy, do all of you girls work year round?

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

I found the other exploding art I did with the kids last year.
    Posted on some board. Not my idea. But I have done it and it was lots of fun.
    dbosle is the name of the person who summitted it.

date:: 1/29/02

Area: Fourth of July Art and/or Science

Idea:

POW! Paint from Big Messy Art

If you like messy and thrilling rolled into one exciting art project, this is it! Put the ingredients into a baggie, stand back, and POW! An explosive piece of art!

Materials

large piece of paper

paper towels

scissors

baking soda

measuring cups and spoons

thin, bright paint of any kind

white vinegar

zipper-closure plastic baggies

Process

1. Spread out a large sheet of plain paper on the ground outside or in a nice big space inside.

2. Prepare the paint bags. Start by cutting a paper towel into fourths.

3. Put 2 tablespoons (30ml) baking soda into the middle of a paper towel square.

4. To make a paper towel pillow to hold the baking soda, fold over the sides and then the ends of the paper towel around the pile of baking soda. Place the pillow of baking soda into a baggie.

5.Add 2 teaspoons (10ml) paint to 1 cup (250ml) white vinegar. Pour the colored vinegar into the baggie with the baking soda pillow. Quickly close the baggie and place it on the big piece of paper. Stand back! The baking soda and vinegar will mix and pop the bag open to explode paint onto the paper.

6. Do many explosions for one painting or one explosion per painting.

Variations

Experiment with different types of paint or food coloring.

Use cardboard or extra heavy paper, bigger bags, and/or more ingredients.

13. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Jun 25, 2006

That sounds fun, Jaime... I kind of wanna do it, and I'm not even at work...

I was going to say you could paint fireworks by putting dropperfulls of liquid watercolors on paper and have the kids blow it around with straws.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 25, 2006

This is a Mailbox idea.
    Set out two plates of paint: red and blue. On each plate, set a bristle baby bottle brush. The child rolls paint onto the bristle brush and paints it onto white paper.
    After the paint dries, cut the white paper into kind of a star-shape, only with lots of points. Then glue the white paper onto black paper -- so that it will look like fireworks exploding at night.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

This site, although sponsored by candy makers, has interesting crafts for young children. If you register, you will get a seasonal online newsletter with holiday projects. They usually include food or candy, but you can easily modify them.
    http://www.brightideas.com/summer/

16. teachertobe2

teachertobe2 Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

I remeber one. It was actually when I was in school. We took white color crayons or chalk and colored fireworks on construction paper, then painted over with water colors. It turned out pretty cool. I dont remember much more than that, but I did have a blast doing it!

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2006

Grammy- my Kevin started coming on the 4th and showed up on the 5th,1986!

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2006

Becky,Our youngest made it just in time or it would have been the 5th!