4th Interview this summer...Not too Good

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thewife, Jul 25, 2013.

1. thewife

thewife Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

I think it is really hard to prepare for an interview. I have typed all of the questions and answers from the forum, and I go over them but it still seems like I stumble around answering questions and seem not prepared. I think some questions are hard to answer until you get into the classroom and try it out. I felt ok after the interview on Monday, but now I feel really crappy about it. I don't feel that I will be getting a call for the job. There were actually two positions, fifth and sixth grade. My student teaching was in 1st grade and don't have alot of subbing in fifth or sixth grade but I do have certification in middle school social studies as well as Elementary 1-6. I was hoping this would help me, but guess we will see. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I think.

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

I was hired for my first job after what I thought was a very drab interview, so don't give up hope yet.

Is there someone who can help you practice? Can you think of a few kids who you helped during subbing or student teaching that you could weave into some examples/stories for your answers?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

I'm wondering if trying to memorize and regurgitate 'answers from the forum' is hindering you. There are no absolute correct answers to any question. Schools want to knw who YOU are, not the collective brilliance of the forums. Keep the questions for practice, but throw out the 'answers'. Be yourself, answer honestly, listen to your gut, don't be afraid to ask for clarification or a moment to think.
    Good luck to you.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 25, 2013

I would still encourage you to practice answers to standard questions until you are comfortable with them - but don't memorize because you do want to be yourself. I always practice answers by saying them out loud so that I can hear how they sound. I also sit in front of a mirror so that I can see how I appear as I answer.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Her OWN answers, yes.

7. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

:yeahthat:

I don't even practice answers before going to an interview. That makes me too nervous and I feel like I would stumble over my answers too much because I'm trying to say them word for word from memory. Plus, I think interviewers will notice that. I go into interviews and just be myself - I've made jokes in interviews...and I got the job. I would rather them see my personality too and not just that I am trying to give them the "perfect" answer.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2013

An interview is as much about personality as it is about ability. Maybe your concentrating too much and stifling your personality.