4th graders struggling with telling time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iteachm123, Nov 9, 2008.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

In a world of digital clocks, my 4th grade students are having a difficult time being able to read an analog clock. Does anyone have any good websites that would allow me to print a blank clock face so I can have my students fill in the numbers? We are trying to tackle elapsed time, however, I have several students who are not able to read the time on a clock without counting ahead or backward. I'm a little aggravated, although I know that several of them aren't used to having any other clock at home besides a digital clock. But come on now...they are fourth graders! Am I expecting too much? :help::thanks:

3. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Nov 10, 2008

I have no idea if this will help you or not, but I'll post this article anyway.
    http://www.thomasarmstrong.com/articles/7_ways.htm

My son taught himself how to tell time on analog clock when he was in his kindergarten year (mid year actually). The things that helped my son were counting by 5's, memorizing a Dora telling time book with a digital and analog clock display, watching a video on telling time and me giving him a brief explanation.

I hope this helps in some way!

4. mrsdong

mrsdong Rookie

Nov 10, 2008

Noetic Learning has the kind of Telling Time worksheets that you are looking for.