4th Grade writing

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by TxTchr12, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TxTchr12

TxTchr12 New Member

Jul 23, 2012

I am going into my 3rd year of teaching and this year for the first time I will be teaching upper elementary elar. I feel lost and can't seem to find anything online that is much help. Here are some questions I have if you wouldn't mind sharing what's worked and hasn't worked for you.

Writing- I'm thinking of writing workshop. Any books or websites/blogs you can recommend that will help with mini lesson and strategy ideas?

Reading-I think we have Texas Treasures, but I have never looked in it before. I want to do leveled reading groups as 99% of our campus is ELL and they struggle with comprehension. Should I incorporate whole group and small group reading? How do you break down your reading schedule each day? I also wanted to have literacy rotations...pro or con?

LA- this is like teaching verbs, nouns, root words, etc..With Reading and writing where do you fit this in?

I appreciate any help you may have to offer! Thanks!!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2012

Fourth graders in Texas take two days of STAAR testing with revising and editing on both days and they must write an expository and a narrative.

I taught fourth grade Language last year and only fifteen percent in the entire grade level could write one complete sentence on a topic of their choosing and zero percent could write two the first week of school.

You'll definitely have to teach grammar and spelling.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

5. believenachild

believenachild Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

6. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 25, 2012

7. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Sep 29, 2012

I just purchased a writing book entitled, "Getting to the Core of Writing: Essential Lessons for Every Fourth Grade Student." It it based on the Common Core standards. It has lesson plans for the whole year. Seems like a great resource.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 29, 2012

Lucy Calkins... and Comprehension Toolkit would be a great first place to start. We use the CAFE for guided reading groups.