4th Grade Teacher from North Carolina

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by RainStorm, Sep 1, 2010.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 1, 2010

I'm new to teaching 4th and I'm new to NC. I'm the only 4th grade teacher in my school, and I really could use some help. So if you are an experienced teacher in NC and wouldn't mind sharing some resources, I would greatly appreciate it.

3. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

4th grade

Science...These ready made units are from DPI and cover all four of the Science goals.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/science/units/elementary/

Math

http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4507283&pageId=5051238

Scroll down to the Week-by-Week Essentials, and you'll find some great math resources.

http://mail.clevelandcountyschools.org/~ccselem/?OpenItemURL=S04F8A721 Lots of resources here for all subjects

http://www.burke.k12.nc.us/Curriculum/Elementary_Links.htm Lots of resources

Let me know the resources for Writing, Reading, Science and Social Studies that you have, and I'll see if I can help you there. I'm willing to share. Have a great year.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 2, 2010

Thanks. I'm reading through it now. I really appreciate it.

Do you have anything to share on North Carolina history?

THANKS!

5. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

NC

I started the year with "Where in the World?" It's about 7 pages from the Earth to our city. For the next two weeks, I will be teaching the 5 themes of geography. I use a graphic organizer for each of the themes. Since I only have 30 minutes, I do a theme a day. The second week, I give students a study guide for the assessment, which is a choice between making a collage of the 5 themes or a trifold of the 5 themes. I will have to come up with more ideas for assessing but students will be able to choose their type of assesmment.

6. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

I could use more information on the five themes. Anything you have would be appreciated.

8. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

I'll be happy to share what I have, but I don't have enough posts to post attachments.

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Sep 17, 2010

Welcome to NC Rainstorm!!! If you can get a hold of or order Studies Weekly for Social Studies for NC, they cover the entire SCOS. We use them and they are AWESOME, the Science ones not so much for 4th. The Soc. Studies ones cover everything from where NC is to the exploration and first people of NC. They are sequential and there is a test that goes with each one. If you think of any other questions let me know.

Enjoy 4th!

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 4, 2010

I really appreciate all the help! Thanks.

Any suggestions of "must see" field trips in NC?

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 4, 2010

In my district all fourth grade students visit Raleigh at the end of the year. See the state government in action and visit the museums.

12. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Oct 9, 2010

NCScienceTeach...

Could you post information on your Raleigh trip. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

13. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Oct 17, 2010

We're heading to Wright Brother's National Memorial and Jockey's Ridge this Friday.

I'm thinking of trying to convince my team of a spring field trip to the Natural Science Museum in Raleigh. It is free to get into the museum and it covers so many of the social studies and science standards for 4th! Might give us a break before EOGs too!