4th Grade Literature Circles

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by KreativewithaK, Apr 2, 2006.

1. KreativewithaK

KreativewithaK Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

Hey!
    I am going to be moving into a 4th grade classroom next year and wanted to ask some experts about literature circles. Do you typically start them at the beginning of the year or wait until 2nd semester? If you wait, how do you structure literature for the 1st semester? Any tips you have would be great!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 2, 2006

A lot of it will depend on your class. I generally try to do a little by second nine weeks, but not this year!! First nine weeks or so I do a lot of whole class, small group, and some individual work. I always make sure to review key vocabulary (plot, character, theme, setting, predict, etc) early in the year. Fourth grade is awesome! Have fun!

4. allyd

allyd Rookie

Apr 3, 2006

I do my first Lit. Circles as a whole class. I purchased a class set of Because of Winn Dixie just for this. They read it independently, but go into small groups, as they will in "real" Lit. Circles, and share their jobs. I then start my second Lit. Circles towards the end of the first grading period...going into the second. I don't grade the first one, but they are held accountable for this being part of their homework. I have a set time daily for Silent Reading, that is used for Lit. Circles, when it is active. The time I set aside for Lang. Arts is solely for the text and skills, as it is required teaching for me. So, while they may be reading a book for lit. circles, they are also reading in their textbooks. AND still we don't cover everything in the text! You will love fourth grade....it is such a great age! Good luck!

5. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Apr 3, 2006

I agree with Missy. It depends on your group of kids. I usually do lots of whole group stuff at the beginning of the year. I LOVE doing whole group novel units and usually do one to start the year off. Then, I will train on literature circles during the 2nd 6 weeks (or 9 weeks...whatever your school does). When I train, I have the whole class read the same book so we can do lots of modeling together as we are learning how to talk about books, do the different job sheets, etc. Throughtout the year, I tend to trade off between whole group novel units and literature circles (I call mine Book Clubs). You'll probably find a way that works best for you and your students. One thing I would really focus on is the training process. Don't rush through it. If you spend adequate time at the beginning showing them exactly what it should look like, it will pay off in the end and the students will truly enjoy the process.

6. KreativewithaK

KreativewithaK Rookie

Apr 3, 2006

Thanks so much for your information! Do you have any suggestions for books to start the year off with?

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 4, 2006

I usually start off with something very readable, but high interest. This year we read Jake Drake, Bully Buster, by Andrew Clements, in September. Late in the year I might use Shiloh or Winn-Dixie.

8. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Apr 4, 2006

Winn Dixie would be great, but so many kids have already seen the movie. That kind of ruins it. I am a fan of Beverly Cleary. Her books really stand the test of time. They are funny, easy to read and the kids love them. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing or Fudge are good ones. Also... I absolutely LOVE Frindle by Andrew Clements. It's a great book for the beginning of the year.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 4, 2006

Oh, yeah, Frindle is great. The Janitor's Boy (is that right?), another Clements book, is very good, too.

10. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Apr 4, 2006

Yes! That's a great one, too, Upsadaisy. I love Andrew Clements.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie