4th Grade classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BGSUteacher, Jun 30, 2010.

1. BGSUteacher

BGSUteacher New Member

Jun 30, 2010

Hello! I have taught 2nd grade for the past 3 years. Next school year I will be teaching 4th grade at a school that is just opening up. Because it is new, the classrooms are pretty much bare. I need to know what kind of supplies 4th grade teachers have been successful with, and what supplies I should push to have within the classroom. I am trying to come up with things on my own, but after teaching 2nd grade I am having a hard time coming up with supplies that are not "baby-sish". I need age appropriate things and advice on what a 4th grade teacher can't live without! Thank you everyone :cool:

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2010

Do you mean decorating type supplies or academic supplies?

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

I teach 3rd, but my kids basically leave as 4th graders ;)

I would recommend not trying to make things too adult. They will learn well from many of the hands on and cooperative activities that you used in 2nd grade. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the fall.

Congrats on your new position and best of luck with the change.

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

Keep it fun decoration wise...they get a kick out of it. 4th graders like you to believe that they can be very independent, but they love being able to sit and tell you about their day, worries, at home life, etc. One thing I make sure to replenish often is my "treasure box". THEY LOVE IT! lol

As far as decorating, my room is pretty small, but I put up student work, and posters that relate to whatever we are learning. I don't have any of the pillows or anything in my reading area...something I may change in the future:confused:

Good luck in 4th grade! I :love: 4th! This will be my 4th year teaching it and I wouldn't chose any other grade!