4th Grade Classroom Management Plans??

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Mrs.J, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Mrs.J

Mrs.J Companion

Oct 14, 2008

Hi everyone! I have an interview this coming Friday for a full time 4th grade teaching position. I was wondering if any of you who have taught (or are currently teaching) 4th grade could give me ideas on the behavioral management systems you've used. I'm sure one of the questions they'll ask me will have to do with classroom management, and I'm thinking of using either the "happy faces and clothes pins" system or the behavior card system, but I don't know if those would be effective with 4th graders....

What works with this grade level? What systems do you have in place in your classrooms??

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you all in advance! :)

3. missalli

missalli Companion

Oct 15, 2008

I teach 2nd-4th grade (at different times), and with my 4th graders I've been using Power Teaching. It's been pretty effective, and I have a lot of 'problem children'.

My philosphy when it comes to 4th grade behavior management is that it can't be all sticks -- there have to be carrots too, something for them to yearn for, and acknowledgement of the positive behavior just as much as acknowledgement of any negative behavior.

4. Mrs.J

Mrs.J Companion

Oct 21, 2008

Thanks Missalli!! :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

Another advocate of Power Teaching here as well!

6. Mrs.J

Mrs.J Companion

Oct 24, 2008

Anyone else have ideas??? :) I could use all the suggestions you can offer! :)