4th grade centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dillpickle, Mar 30, 2007.

1. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 30, 2007

Can any of you give me any ideas on how to use centers in my fourth grade class room? I've never really worked with centers before so I'm not sure how to go about doing that next year. Is it a lot of mindless paperwork for each one? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

3. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Mar 31, 2007

I do centers when a small group goes to title 1. Most of mine are self-checking, so there is little paperwork. I have the kids keep a log on a 1/2 sheet of paper to keep them accountable for their work each day. A few years ago I bought several of the "Take it to your Seat" centers. They are very convenient - just laminate and cut apart. I spent last summer organizing them. I laminate the entire book, then took them home to cut out during veg-in-front-of-the-tv time. I put all pieces in large zip lock bags (the ones with the actual zipper pull ensure that the kids re-zip) I pull out the centers I want them to work on for the next week or two and set them out in our "Centers Crate". The kids get right to work either alone or in pairs and really seem to like them. It gets them some review on already taught skills or introduces them to something that I may not cover. I don't know if I'd use regular class time for them, but since this group is gone, I can't teach any new concepts. I will also take worksheets/seasonal puzzles and laminate those as well.

4. Lainy2121

Lainy2121 Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

I use centers almost everyday in my fourth grade class. I have five different centers that I use and five groups. The first center is a writing center in which I give a prompt or suggestions and have the students go through the writing process. Students may use this time to peer edit as well. My second center is usually something creative. It may be an art project that goes with a social studies or science unit that we are studying. I have had students make mobiles of books they have read, game boards of stories, and other things like that. My third center is a content related center. This may involve comparing and contrasting a social studies concept or completing a graphic organizer about text and print features. My fourth center is small group guided reading with me. And last, but not least, my fifth groups is individual work on which they use the skill we worked on in small groups with their reading selection.

While it takes some planning, I find that the students are much more engaged and get a lot out of center time. They truly look forward to this time and it helps my afternoon fly by!