4th gr - hands on graphing ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 29, 2008

Please help... what are interactive ideas for teaching line graphs? pie graphs? pictographs? I need a hands on activity that will take approx 20 min for the kids to do...

Thanks!

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 29, 2008

I did an activity with my kids during our graph unit that might work. I gave each child a bag with some type of snack in it (gummi bears, skittles, m & m's, colored goldfish crackers, mike & ike candies, lucky charms). They had to use their item to construct a bar graph (either horizontal or vertical depending on the blank graph that I gave them). They then had to label their graph (Title, # scale, and item label). You could have them do an activity such as this and then do a comparison by converting the data into a line graph, pie graph or pictograph. My kids did better on their graphs test than they have done on anything this unit since we did these activities.

4. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 29, 2008

thanks!
    I've done the candy thing and they're little pros on bar graphs, hehe... trying to find something fun for pie or line and not really coming up with anything great

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 29, 2008

I usually have the kids come up with a polling question, and they poll their friends. We did a huge polling project earlier in the year where the kids worked in groups of 4 and polled 100 people total. It was great for connecting percentages and they analyzed and wrote up a summary of their data. It was really, really cool, but took a long time. I had them create pie charts and bar graphs on a website.

http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx

It's pretty easy to use and the kids really liked it.

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 29, 2008

I'm doing a graphing activity with conversation heart candies this week. You can group them by saying or color. We're also going to work in mean, median, and mode.

Earlier in the chapter I had them make up a survey and survey the class. Then they made a bar graph and a pictograph with the information.

During our enrichment time last week we did an activity with Skittles as well.