4th/5th grade enrichment/elective ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, Jul 18, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

I'm going to be teaching 5th grade this year at a new (to me) school. We are including an enrichment component for the 4th and 5th graders. There are two 4th grade teachers and two 5th, and we will each have an enrichment class, which is basically an elective, for 6-8 weeks with a group of kids coming from all 4 classes. (Kids will choose their electives.) The class will be an hour a day, four days a week. Ideally, there will be some kind of culminating project or activity the kids can show parents and the other classes at the end of the rotation.

I am looking for ideas! We have thought of things like student council, computer coding, drama, geocaching, creative writing, etc...any ideas are welcome!

Thanks! :)

3. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

I've done student council before with 3rd, 4th & 5th graders. I'd love to start up a newspaper elective as well, that would be fun! In school I always participated in community service groups.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

What about incorporating critical thinking skills and setting up a fake crime ( like stolen supplies )for them to solve? Or you could do a variety of science labs. Chess?

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2014

I just signed my son up for Camp Invention and their website showed that they also have "Club Invention." That might be a great option.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

We are thinking of making community service go along with student council. I love that idea, but I don't think I'm the one doing it this time around. A 4th grade teachers wants it.

I also love the newspaper idea and had thought of that, but I wasn't sure how to go about actually implementing it. My school is really into digital literacy, and I would have access to a set of chromebooks or ipads. I was trying to figure out a way to do a newspaper digitally...but maybe creating it with digital tools and printing it is the way to go.

This looks really cool but it's also in New England. I am going to research and see if there is anything like this out my way. :)

Thanks for the ideas so far!!

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2014

Maybe something relating to current events? News ELA is great for that, and Time For Kids.

8. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

How about something nature related? Project Wild has great lesson plans - there is a website that shows about it. I was trained on the program and have books with lots of plans for all age groups. Do you have an option to create a school garden?

Drawing - could pull in math relationships on this. I had several 5th graders who loved to draw or cartoon.

I think they would love the digital newspaper option and crime scenes!

Are you in a public or private school? I'm curious how you have time for all that enrichment - sounds like so much fun!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2014

We've talked about starting something like that! I think one of the fourth grade teachers wants to do it eventually, but I'll be sure to bring it up again.

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of nature in our immediate area (not urban, but very suburban...so our nature consists of lawns and planned out landscaping). There actually already is a small garden. I'm new to the school, so I'm not sure who maintains it.

I'm in a charter school. The principal places a strong emphasis on student-directed, creative learning. K-3 won't be doing enrichment, but she wanted to do something special for the intermediate grades.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

A multicultural class or language class would be cool. It could either be in-depth instruction of one language, or units of study into a bunch of languages (learning basic phrases like "hello" and numbers) and cultures around the world.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

Also, check out Genius Hour. It's a time where students get to devote their efforts to whatever they're passionate about. It's a super cool concept, and students learn about research and project development.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2014

Great ideas. The kids actually get Spanish instruction at our school which is great, but I love the idea of bringing in a lot of different languages and cultures. I was actually toying with an idea like this today, tying the study of world cultures into creating art/craft projects representing each culture.

I have read about this! My principal loves this concept! I think we are going to incorporate it in the future but I'm not sure when or how. Have you done it before? I'm really curious about Genius Hour.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2014

We started a world culture class last year. Didn't get too far with it due to time constraints. We' cover a country in four weeks and focus on art, history, customs, and food. You can always add music, costumes, dance etc. it's endless.

There's also chess. Love that. Readers theater. Literature circles.

14. TXCT

TXCT New Member

Jul 23, 2014

Odyssey of the Mind or Destination Imagination.

I did both in Elementary and loved them.