45-minute classes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mkate, Sep 30, 2013.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 30, 2013

Hello! I know that many of you in elementary have longer blocks of time for certain subjects, but at my school we have six 45-minute sessions per day, and we can't run over the allotted time. I'm having a hard time getting everything in-- between a couple of minutes transition time (often they or I are coming from another room, but even if this is not the case, they need time to put away/get out books, clear their minds, and get ready for the new subject), a warm-up or brief introduction, direct instruction, practice, and some way to check for understanding... it's driving me crazy!

I teach third graders, and we have textbooks but they are not supposed to write in them, which means copying the exercise from the book or board before they can do it... which takes some of them a long time, too.

Does anyone else have short classes like this? If so, could you give me some ideas of how to fit everything in?

Thanks!

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2013

Ugh I hate short classes!!! I feel like I can never get anything done! Sorry, no advice :(

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2013

Argh, I totally feel for this situation! We also have short periods. It's tough.

Is there any way to reduce the amount of copying needed? What kind of exercises are they copying? If they're practicing long division then they need to write the problem, but for word problems or reading questions they could just write the page number and the answer. I feel like copying text from boards or books is a waste of time, especially when time is limited.

Do you have an admin requirement that every lesson needs to have every component? If not, maybe you can make one longer lesson and continue it from one day to another - reducing the time you take introducing a new lesson each day and replacing it with a very brief reminder of what you were up to. Same for end-of-lesson assessment. For example, on Monday you have a proper lesson introduction and only a brief check for understanding, while on Tuesday you have a shorter introduction which is really just a refresher from Monday and then at the end of the lesson a more thorough understanding check. Could that work? It wouldn't have to halve the amount of material you cover, because you can fit more material between the first introduction and the last assessment since you're not spending as much time introducing and assessing.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

This is why I advocated very strongly with my principal to teach everything (except Gym, Music and French) to my class. It is so challenging to work within the confines of 40 minute periods.

6. mkate

mkate Comrade

Oct 1, 2013

Yes, I could have them just write the page number and question number (unless it's an operation, but that doesn't take long to copy.) It's not ideal, but it would cut down on the copying, so it's probably worth it.

No admin requirement on lesson components. I do like your idea about making a longer lesson over two days. That seems like it could work, at least sometimes.

Thanks!

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2013

Happy to help! Copying is a pet peeve of mine. I will not get on that soapbox now, it's past my bedtime ;)