44% Graduation Rate

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

According to a recent news story, my school district (the 5th largest in the nation) is graduating only 44% of students.

I think there are some problems with the research methods used to figure this number, but even so....That's a pretty terrible rate of graduation.

What is the graduation rate in your district? What factors contribute to that rate, good or bad?

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

wow - I would question 44% also. That seems very low -

Last year our grad rate was 91% and we usually hover right around that number give or take a percent in either direction. I would like to think ours is that high because of everything we do to include all types of learning, excellent vocational classes, vocational classes with local comm. colleges so students can take classes to begin certifications in cosmotogly, LPn's, building trades, welding, ect. . . and this reason is a double edge sword - we continue to let pregant students attended regular school right up to their due date. I think it is good for the pregant students but it sends (I think) the message to the rest of our students about the acceptance of teenage pregancy. Right now we have 4 sophomores preg, 6 juniors and 2 seniors out of a school of 600.

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

Some states will count a kid as two drop outs if he drops out this year, comes back next year, and then drops out again. We had a senior a few years back that had 3 senior years. He dropped out in September in all of them and was counted as 3 drop outs instead of just one.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 22, 2009

We are at about 40%, but this data counts kids who leave our online school and return to their public school (usually because they've had the baby or because they want to have their senior year with their friends). A lot of districts in our state use my school almost as a dumping ground for their pregnant or violent students. We're happy to have them!

Considering the range of setbacks most of our kids have, the ones who graduate are usually doing so over massive odds. Statistics don't show the girl struggling with agoraphobia or the boy who "dropped in" at age 20 while working full time to support two kids. Luckily, I know them well and will do all I can to help them succeed.

Sorry about the rant. :soapbox:

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 22, 2009

45.3% is the most recent statistic I could find for my district. I also work in a large, urban district where poverty, gangs, teen pregnancy, illiterate parents, migrants, and high crime are huge factors.

ETA: We're the 4th largest district in the nation, so I'm sure we have pretty much the same issues.

7. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Schools and school districts have become experts at calculating and manipulating their graduation rates...and for some reason never seem to be able to agree on the true percentage of students who graduate.

When studies follow a cohort of students from 8th grade to 11th grade, the number of students who don't even enter the 12th grade is shockingly low. 44% for a large urban district is not unusual. Even more disturbing is when we go at look at the rates for individual schools....

db

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 22, 2009

Our graduation rate is was 82% last year with our African Americans and Hispanics being in the mid 70's while our whites were in the mid 80's. Asians were the only demographic group to exceed the state target of 90% with 90.4% of Asians graduating.

Most of our hispanic students are well motivated, but struggle with the language.

The rest seem to be a lot of home problems or crime problems not related to school. I would estimate that at least 1/4th of my students have very difficult home situations and about 1/10ths have chronic run ins with the law. These and the struggling ESL students account for the vast majority of my drop outs.

We also have a couple who just don't care and have parents who don't care either.

We're trying to develop intervention programs and other systems so that it will litterally be more work for you to fail than it is to pass them. The program is in it's infancy but is showing very promissing results so far.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

I tried a quick search, but couldn't find stats for our school board; the provincal rate (Ontario) is at 77%. The article I found goes on to state that this rate rises considerably if one considers students who drop out but then return to obtain their high school diploma. My sense is that these stats would vary immensely from board to board across the province.

10. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 22, 2009

LOL....I know that our low graduation rate will increase this year because we've been TOLD to MAKE SURE it goes up this year. (Otherwise, they'll take a look at "how we can make you a better teacher.") When your livelihood is threatened and at stake, you send that graduation rate skyrocketing! (LOL)

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 22, 2009

Our graduation rate is 67% - we are also a very large urban school district. They are really looking at our retention policies - even beginning in elementary school. (We have the highest level of retentions in 1st Grade). The thinking is that if a child can somehow move on to the next grade highlighted for intensive intervention - later on in their academic careers they won't be as likely to dropout. The data they quote says a majority of the dropouts are these kids who have been held back for 2 or more years, much older than their peers, having to do extra years of something that already frustrates them. Anyway, we'll see what comes of it.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2009

Ours is 93% I think. Our goal is 100%.... it is the big push here now.