$$

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ajd5160, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

With budeget cuts and other financial issues, does anyone have any creative ideas for getting items for your classroom??? Businesses, etc? I am not talking about grant type items... but educational supplies on a smaller scale.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 1, 2007

Try garage, tag, and or rummage sales. Many times I have gone to them and mentioned I was a teacher. Often times they cut me a deal on books. If your town or a neighboring one has a clean out day check the curb before items are picked by the trash hauler. I have found numerous things that way. Sometimes if the owner was outside they had more stuff they were willing to give to me. Don't be embarassed. If you don't pick it up someone else will.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

One of my friends typed up a little request on school letterhead and brought it to places like Target and asked the manager for donations. I don't remember exactly what she got, but she did get some free stuff! Some school supply stuff, some more "decorative" stuff like a rug.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

CVS will consider requests for merchandise donations if you write to their corporate office. They specify not asking at the stores. WalMart will, too. The last time I was Children's Ministries director at our church I went to both places seeking donations for different things.