40 yrs old and Brand New Teacher

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by lisascs, Jun 7, 2007.

1. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I just graduated with a PE degree and just landed a 4th grade teaching job. There were no PE jobs available. Consequently I have alot of questions.
    1. What do you do on the first day of school? My school will start on Thursday. Do I start teaching right away?
    2. I brought the curriculum home with me for the summer. How much pre-planning should I do? (It is really overwhelming at times.)
    I think I will have 18 to 20 students.

I will take any advice.

3. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 7, 2007

It's overwhelming, but....breathe! :) On the first days of school, you need to teach your procedures and go over your classroom expectations. You have to get this all in place in order for your class to run smoothly the rest of the year. They need to know what the consequences will be if they don't follow the rules. You can start talking about what you will be teaching this year and start them on some lessons.

I just finished my first year teaching and I was also 40 when I started! Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2007

HI and congratulations!!!

I have no real advice; I teach HS math. But you've come to the right place. People here will get you all set up in no time.

(Many of us are still winding down from this year-- My school still has 3 days of classes and then 6 days of exams. I don't even officially know what grade I'm teaching in the fall. So you're way ahead of the curve as far as I'm concerned!)

For now, browse through the elementary ed threads. Find out what other 3rd, 4th and 5th grade teachers have posted about their classroom, their discipline systems, the way they handle reading, outside projects, and the syllabus in general.

Congrats and good luck!!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2007

As you begin a new job or new school year it always looks overwhelming (I even feel that way at the start of each new year). Plan the first week and then start to focus on pieces. The first week and first month are all about rules, routines, and procedures. This site has some great ideas for the beginning of school year.

By the way, congratulations!

6. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I know I will be back again for some more questions. By the way, are there any good books that you recommend I read or magazines that would be helpful for me to subscribe to?

7. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Congratulations!! I love the book How To Be An Effective Teacher: The First Days of School by Harry Wong. It is full of wonderful ideas on classroom management, etc. I subsribe to a magazine called Instructor and I really like it because it has a lot of ideas in it and coupons for teachers. You can check it out at www.scholastic.com/instructor.

8. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

Congrats! you will do great. Just remember to ask lots of questions of your colleagues. I was 40 when I stateed teaching, also.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

Congratulations on your job! I was over 40 when I started and my sister-in-law was 49 (a very young 49, though). I like to keep it really fun in the first weeks of school - while I set expectations, assess skills and reassure students.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Hey, I became a mom for the first time at 40 :)

11. rdpega

rdpega Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

I'm nearly 40 also, and just got MY first teaching job!

40? We've got LOTS of great years of teaching left in us!!:love:

i agree with the recommendation for the Harry Wong book. Another good book I have heard about is called The First 6 Weeks of School. I'm going to get it ASAP, and start reading.

Reach out to your colleagues! And if your school has a teacher mentor program, definitely take advantage of that too.

GOOD LUCK!

12. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

My school does have a mentor program and the third grade teacher who had the class that I will have in the Fall will be my mentor.

Yeah for 40!

13. flamingolady

flamingolady Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Congrats!

This is my first year of teaching as well. Every book, every teacher, every associate that I have talked to will tell you to teach your procedures, rules, routines (even down to when to sharpen your pencil), the first few weeks of school. The Harry Wong book is definitely a must! The First Six Weeks of School is also good. Another good book is Positive Classroom Discipline by Fred Jones. I also like The Organized Teacher. It has great reproducibles you can use and great ideas on how to get organized and ready for the school year.

14. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

Hi and congratulations! I just finished my teaching credential program at age 55 and am waiting for the results of interviews-I have one verbal offer so far. I've wanted to teach all my life but never thought I had the energy to handle a class full-time, so I just volunteered and substituted. Surprise - as soon as my four children grew up and left the home I found I had more energy than I knew what to do with . I absolutely loved both my student teaching experiences.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

me, too!

Hi, I just turned 50 this year and am just beginning my credential program. I have taught head start preschool for 8 years though, and other preschool classes before that. But, you will do great!
    Welcome to the forum and to elementary teaching!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2007

Hi and congratulations! I am almost 45, and will be completing my (alternate) certification program this fall. I already have resumes out to area schools (but no offers yet), so I will either be student teaching or "interning" (where I am a full time teacher who attands a seminar and is observed throughout the semester). Everyone I have "talked to" on here and elsewhere recommends Harry Wong's book -- it's definitely a keeper. You might also want to subscribe to The Mailbox. It's a magazine for teachers (split up by grade levels: primary, upper elementary, etc.) that has wonderful articles and some great resources for teachers -- some really creative stuff! It's not cheap, though, I think a one-year subscription is something like $35, so.... Probably the two best things you can do for yourself once you start work in the fall are to do deep breathing exercises (relieves stress) and keep your sense of humor. And have a ball!

17. msb

msb Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Hi, congratulations! Forty is FABULOUS! I think it's better than I expected. Well, I still get these aches and pains, but otherwise it hasn't been too bad so far. ;) I think things are a lot more clear as far as goals are for me at this age. You know, just knowing what you like and don't like from a job/career/love/people really helps. I guess knowing who you are and what you want from life helps out a lot. :) Gee, I hope I'm making sense. I must be ramblin' again! :)

18. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I will post a sign on my desk and in my lesson plan book to remind myself to have fun, especially when things get hairy!
    I will buy H.Wong's book(everyone suggested this one!) and I also looked into, "The Mailbox" literature. I liked what I seen and when I start school I think I may invest in a magazine.

I absolutely love this forum and all the great advice. Thanks everyone.

19. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

Just a note, before you invest in the Mailbox magazine, you might see if your school already subscribes to it. :) My school library has it for us.

20. sharona38

sharona38 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Hi there! It's nice to know I'm in such good company! I will be signing my first contract tomorrow and will be 40 in September - big year for me! I've been searching for a couple of years now, LTS, preschool, subbing etc.
    The job is in a Catholic school which seems very nice with small classes. I will be teaching Computers for K-8 and Math for 5-8. Although I know I can do it, its not my field of expertise - I'm a literacy gal.
    Does anyone know of any helpful books, mags, or websites? I was hoping there was a Mailbox for Computers but couldn't find anything.
    Thanks!

Harry Wong is giving a first year teacher seminar in August in NJ - check the web to see if maybe he'll be in your area - my brochure only has the college phone and website - sorry.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007