4 Pocket Writing Folder

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I always wanted to have a way for my students to keep track of where they are in the writing process. I thought about having a chart where they move something to show where they are in the process, but honestly it seemed like a time waster when we don't have that much time as it is. So I was thinking about doing four pocket writing folders so the kids can move their piece of writing through the writing process as they go. Something like this, but I don't want to spend the money: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/hp_s...78&categoryname=Writing Folders&itemno=155783 This is another one: http://www.prepwritingfolders.com/

Has anyone ever made these before? I don't know how I should do it. I need to put these together but I'm kind of slacking because I don't know how. I want to use them the second week of school, August 18th. Yikes.

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

Miss Kirby,
    I know exactly what you're talking about!!! I have my kids "move" through the writing process by using a chart as a visual. All I did was use a large pocket chart and labeled five rows: "Seed Ideas/Brainstorming", "Drafting", "Revising", "Editing", and "Publishing". I put a picture next to each as a visual. I took a picture of each student and glued it to a small card. I taught the kids that as they move through each step, all they have to do is move their picture to the step on the pocket chart. They do this right before Writing Workshop and all it takes is 1 minute or so and they're ready for the minilesson. The most important thing though is that they go to their writing piece from the previous day and check it out before they move their pic. I think it really helps my writers zero in on the work they need to do for the day without my assistance.
    But I do like the idea of the folders. My kids' writing folders are just labeled on one side "Working" with a green dot and the other side "Finished" with a red dot. This kinda helps them stay organized as well.
    I would love to hear what other posters have to say about the folders. It seems like a workable organization method for WW.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

YoungTeacher... your writing folders sound like what I used last year in first grade. We had a work in progress label with a green GO sign on the left, and a finished work label with a red STOP sign on the right.

I really wanted to try out the folders, but I can't figure out how.

Do your kids keep their writing folders in their desks, or do you keep them in a bin all together? Or do you have a bin for each table to keep their writing folders in. I can't decide. I'm pretty sure I don't want them in desks though.

5. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

Yes, we use folders which I like very much!! I put plastic sleeves in them as well along with an editing checklist, 2nd grade sight words, ideas for each step in the writing process and "A Map Of My Heart" web with ideas for writing.
    My kids actually have individual book baskets that they use to store the "just right" books in until they book shop. So I have my students keep their writing folders in their book baskets so that the transition between RW and WW is a smooth one. I usually do RW then WW back to back so my kids have everything they need right in their book baskets for both blocks and they don't have to search or go to the other side of the room to prepare. It works great!!
    But if we didn't have the book baskets, I would probably just store the writing folders at each table so they can prepare quicker. It seems like a waist of time to have students pass out writing folders. I like making the kids more responsible for their own things. Then, using the pocket chart where they move their pic is more doable if you can save time in other ways.
    But definately, I wouldn't have kids keep their writing folders in desks. You want to teach them to care for their writing folders just like real writers care for their work. I even have the kids decorate their folders with family pics, pics of their favorite places (Mc.Donalds), pics of their favorite foods (pizza), whatever will get their minds going during WW. This year though, I think I will have them insert a collage into one of their plastic sleeves filled with their favorite things instead of decorating the outside. It just seemed that the folders started to get ugly and worn after a while because pics started to fall off etc.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

Right, desks would not be a good idea. And if they were all in one bin, that would take time. What I did the past two years though, was after my writing minilesson, I'd have a kid bring me the bin and I'd call each kid to pick up their folder. Sometimes, I would ask them the topic they chose to write about, if they were going to add on or start a new story, etc. So it was nice that way. And kids who didn't know what they were going to write about got to sit a little longer and think about it. But then again, if I had bin for each group the team captains could grab it, pass out the folders to his/her team members, and they could get started right away. I could even have them prepare for writing ahead of time. When we are coming back to our classroom after lunch, the team captains can do this quickly while we are getting on the carpet for a read aloud. We'll do writing right after this.

7. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

You know it's interesting because I attended a workshop a year or so ago when I traveled to NYC for the Lucy Calkins Teachers College conference and I sat in on a workshop titled :Reading & Writing Workshop Mangagement. Let me tell you...it was a God send for me!!!! The reason I say that is because the presenter talked about how teachers teach a minilesson, model the craft, have the kids "turn & talk" about the work they're going to do for the day, and then they spend 5-10 minutes having the students prepare for WW. She said that it didn't make sense to fill these kids up with a great idea for WW, get their juices flowing and then waist time passing out folders or having the kids sharpend pencils whatever. When she said that a bell rang in my head!!!:eek: I figured out my kids' problem with writing. So I went back to work immediately after that workshop the next day and implemented something she called "Writers Prepare" and "Readers Prepare". It has worked great!! Basically, before the minilesson, I call tables and I say "Writers Prepare!" They know to get their writing folders out, take out the piece they're working on, get new writing paper, get a sharpened pencil, move their pic on the chart and then go to their spot on the rug. They do all this before I teach my minilesson. That way, as soon as I say "Writers begin!", they go right to their seats and start writing immediately. They're ideas are still fresh in their heads!!! I love it!!! I just love seeing the expression on their faces as they're thinking about what they will write about, then they pick up their pencils and GO!!
    Sorry so long, just wanted to share a good idea somebody gave me.
    What do you think??

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I think that's awesome! I remember on a different post you talking about Reader's Prepare. I did do reader's prepare for a while last year and I really liked it. For some reason we stopped doing it. I don't know why??I need to think about this some more and figure out how it will fit in with my classroom.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

YoungTeacher this is off topic, sort of, but I'd love to see a schedule of how your day is organized. We seem to do a lot of similar things and it would be nice to see how another second grade teacher's day goes! Thanks! :)

10. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

Well, it's hard to show you a set schedule for my day because in my school, we have specials that change times everyday. My kids have PE, art, spanish, & music throughout the week and no day is the same. We go by letter days (ex. A day, B day etc.) so it alternates. But here is a rough schedule of my day excluding specials:

8:30 ~ Morning Work
    8:45 ~ Morning Meeting & Shared Writing
    9:00 ~ Shared Reading/ Poem of the Week
    9:15 ~ Reading Workshop
    10:00 ~ Writing Workshop
    10:45 ~ Lunch
    11:15 ~ Word Wall Activities
    11:30 ~ Read Aloud
    11:45 ~ 12:00 (they usually have a special at this time)
    12:00 ~ Calendar Math
    12:15~ Math
    1:00 ~ Science
    1:45 ~ Social Studies

Our schedule almost always includes these components. They just may be a little scrambled based on specials.

11. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I hate to jump in on you 2 as you seem to be getting so much from each other but I've seen 4 pocket folders made on a small scale but could easily be done on a bigger scale. I'm so inspired by you all that I may just make them for my kids myself.

Anyway, you take 2 same size sheets of construction paper. I think 11 x 17 would work well. Fold one horizontally(hamburger fold,) the other vertically(hot dog fold.) Open the hamburger folded one, insert it in the hot dog folded one and fold back into a hamburger. I think taping or stapling the pockets on the side edge should be enough to keep them together. You could also add an additional folded sheet of constr. paper to make a cover or use a file folder so it has some body. Then you could staple or glue checklists, etc on the inside covers. Just an idea.

Also, I have my students keep their writing in their hanging file folders, all of which go into our writing crate.

12. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I meant 9x12 construction paper...sorry!

13. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

Kirby,
    I forgot about Word Study!!!
    I usually do Word Study either first thing in the morning or wherever I can find a free 15-20 minute block. Last year I did:
    8:20 ~ Morning Work
    8:30 ~ Word Study
    8:50 ~ Morning Meeting & Shared Writing
    9:05 ~ Shared Reading/ Poem of the Week

I had to take a few minutes away from shared reading, narrow it down to 10 minutes in order to fit in word study.
    Boy, there just isn't enough time in one school day, I say it all the time!!! The lucky thing is my kids have After School, and I teach an additional hour from 2:30-3:30pm everyday. This is our Literacy Work Station time and I can fit in anything we missed as well.

14. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Gab, you gave great directions! I just made a sample right now using regular papers. As far as the size of the construction papers, shouldn't they be the larger kind? especially if they get folded up?

15. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Yes, I'm a dork and do not have access to paper right now to find the correct size so I will try to figure it out...hmm? I think it must be 12x18 sized paper. I think that is the correct size of the larger construction paper. That makes sense...18 divided by 2 would give you 9 inches which is the perfect for the regular paper. Thanks for catching that mistake...I wish I had an excuse. At least you understood my directions. Anyway, I think I just might make these myself now that I've remembered the idea that I am sure I thought would be wonderful when I saw it but just never followed up on. I do that all the time...make notes of ideas and forget about them...at least some of them.

16. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Thanks Gab! You know, I never really cared to have a 4 pocket folder for the kids. Really a simple folder always worked for me. But, this sounds so easy that I think I'm actually going to try it out this year. Thanks again!

17. lincoln11

lincoln11 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I love these ideas...thanks for sharing!

18. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

You're welcome! I always just use a file folder myself but since it's so easy that my kids will be able to make them themselves, I just might do it...that might give them more of a buy in doing it that way.

19. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

I have hanging folders in a crate as well but I use that as a display for the student's "Published Pieces". I decorate the outside of the crate with crepe paper, bows etc. And Iput the kids' pictures on each folder w/ their names. So after they publish a piece for the month & we have our writing celebration, they hang their writing on the writing board all month long. Then, after we finish another unit and it's time for those writings to come down, we place the old one in the crate and hang the new one. The kids love it because they can go back and reread their "old" published pieces whenever they want to. And they love to see how their writing has improved since September when they go back & read them in like April!! :)

20. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I made my own 4 pocket folder last year out of two inexpensive regular folders. I cut off the very tip of the folded edges. (This made 4 separate folder sides) Then I used the binding machine to punch the folders and binded them all back together. It worked out very well. It was a little difficult for my first grade students to keep organized. We learned about this in a workshop but the lady stapled the folders together. Another teacher suggested doing it this way. Next year I will probably go back to just one folder. We just relied heavily on their writing workshop office (with the big idea sheets, mini-word wall, process etc.) and moving their clip down on the whole class writing process chart.

21. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Great ideas!! I might give this a try this year.
    Was your original question was about how to make the folders? I can see a way to make either version.
    For the first version, I would purchase inexpensive two pocket folders, nest one inside the other, then use a long neck stapler to attach them at the fold. The two blank parts (that used to be the folder front and back of the nested folder) are now inside and could be used to mount the sight word list, map of my heart, editing checklist, etc. You could reinforce the parts that are attached with book tape.
    To make the second version, just lay two folders next to each other opened out, and secure together front and back to join them together. If you put tape over the pocketed part, (which would partially seal up the pocket) you simply open it up by using an exacto (razor) knife and run it along the bumped up edge of the pocket you want to reopen.
    I think you can get pocket folders for about 10cents each where I live right now, so it would be about 20cents for each kid. (Plus the cost of the tape... so maybe more like 30cents each)

22. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2008

You know, I am really bummed because I bought folders at Staples for one cent each, and they are the kind with the prongs in them, a class set of orange and green. I really didn't know what I was going to be going with them before I bought them. So I can't put one inside of hte other. I'm thinking maybe I'll tape the back to the other front. Or could I staple?

23. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I am wondering if you could use FIRSTGRADETEACH's idea for using the binder, Miss Kirby.

24. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I did the same thing last year. I bought the prong kind before I decided to make these folders. I just pulled the folder apart around the prongs then cut off the middle completely.

25. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Aug 4, 2008

gab - I make these folders every year and use with my students. They work great! I staple and then laminate.

26. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

krwaggieteach-thanks for the tip...I wondered about their durability.

27. mojo

mojo Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

To those of you that bought the prong style folders, you can still use them! I buy the 10 cent folders and the prong style folders and use them to make the four pocket folders you all are looking for. I take the plain folder and flip it inside out. Then I use my 3hole puncher and punch the plain folder. I then stick it inside the prong folder and put the prongs through the holes. Tada - you now have a four pocket folder! I label the pockets of each folder: Rough draft, revise, edit and ready to publish. As the students finish each, they move their writing piece right in their folders.

I number the folders so I can use these folders over again the next year. My kids have an assigned number so they just go to the crate that contains the writing folders and get their number.

This is the fourth year that I have used these and I love them. Everything is where I need it for conferencing and I even have the editor's checklist in their edit pocket as well as a thesaurus in their revising pocket.

I hope this helps!

28. Youngteacher226

Aug 5, 2008

You have each child keep a thesaurus in their folders?

29. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Wow.... you are a genius! I am going to try that. I would need to buy a set of folders without prong though. Unless I have a teacher friend who would trade with me.

30. mojo

mojo Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

To youngteacher226:
    The thesaurus is a small soft cover that I was able to get through Scholastic one year with my bonus points. It is geared for the primary grade level so it is easy to navigate and yeah it fits right in revise pocket of the folder!