4 fish alive...to 3 fish dead and 1 missing...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Aug 20, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

So...

I went to petsmart to get some fish for the fish tank at school...and of course don't have a tank at the house...so I put them in a large bowl.

I go shower...clean some...and come back down for dinner.

I look down...and...

1 dead fish

-step-

2 dead fish

-step-
    -step-

3 dead fish

-look at the bowl-

wtf?! where the f' is the 4th fish?!

he/she/it is missing...can't find it anywhere...I've looked...and cleaned...and looked more...

gross...omg...

i'm going to have nightmares about this fish...

it's a small tiger barb...but still...

i'm hoping it hopped down the drain since the bowl was right next to it....

this day has just sucked so much...

i know i can take the dead fish back and get some more...but i am out 1 fish! ugh!

:eek:

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009

I have a Betta Fish - they can jump out of the bowl. The fish may have died if you didn't put conditioner in your water. You get it at the pet store. It takes the chlorine out, which will kill the fish. Or they may have gone into shock if the water was a different temperature than what they are used to. You can buy a cheap thermometer in the fish dept. so you can measure the the water temp. so it's the same. I use the microwave to get the temp just right.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 20, 2009

I hope the cats didn't eat it.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 20, 2009

And it's not quite as bad as my missing hamster from a couple of years ago. Ewwwww...

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

This is exactly why I'm not a pet person.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

Not as bad as my daughter's hamster that jumped and broke her neck, because my Beagle scared her.:(
    My daughter was so bummed out that she refused to get another pet for a loooooooooong while.
    Rebel1

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

LOL Upsadaisy, yeah I'll take a missing fish over a missing hamster any day!

We almost lost our guppy a few months ago when it jumped out of the small cup I was keeping it in while cleaning her bowl. Most likely your fish did jump out and go down the drain. Better luck with the next batch!

Put a bowl of water out tonight so that it can sit for a day to get the chlorine out so that you know that's not an issue.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

thanks...just so blah

10. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

This is why fish CREEP me out. I prefer large animals that can't sneak up on you or flop out on you. Dogs for me! lol

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 20, 2009

I lost a betta several years ago. We looked everywhere. We finally found it over a year later, behind a bookshelf . . . and MUMMIFIED. Yuck!

If they were in a bowl, they probably just ran out of oxygen since there wasn't a way to put oxygen back into the water.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009

I'm reading this thread and cracking up! LOL My eyes are watering! Okay..calm down me! I'm sorry for your losses..all of you, the broken-necked hamster, the missing hamster, and the missing fish , and the 3 other dead fish, and now the mummified beta. I'm sorry.When I was a child, my seat at the dinner table was right in front of our huge aquarium. My mom used to fill it to the top and sometimes the lid wasn't closed so guess what the fish used to do during dinner? they'd jump right out onto the floor, at my side while I ate dinner. YUCK! To this day, I do not like the feel of fish! Since I sat closest to the tank, I had to always put them back in the water. Yeah, during dinner! UGH! I'm forever traumatized.
    Yes, leaving the water out overnight will help eliminate the chlorine. Also make sure there's no type of residue in the bowl.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

All drains lead to the ocean ;)

14. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 21, 2009

Bettas and goldfish, along with a few others, are the only fish with the special lung needed to breathe air by going to the surface to breathe. Tiger barbs are also really nasty, aggressive little buggers. It sounds like they died of some kind of shock. Chlorine won't kill them immediately. It does burn their lungs, however. If the temperature was drastically different it would have some effect. I don't know that it would kill them that quickly. However, going from a healthy tank to a bowl filled with untreated water with a drastically different temperature may be enough to do it. (I'm just coming up with scenarios, not sure if the water was conditioned or not)

p.s. side note, please please don't put goldfish in a bowl.

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

i was just keeping them there until i could transfer to the big tank at school this morning...

the water was treated...but temp might have been a bit colder that they were used to

when the lady was trying to get them out of the tank they were jumping around

still didn't find that small one -shudder-

now i have dead fish in my car ready to go back to petsmart for exchange...

joy

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 21, 2009

If you had an aggresive fish it will eat it....... that happened to me when I was a kid......

17. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Aug 21, 2009

Why not put a goldfish in a bowl?? Just curious?

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2009

Leaping goldfish, this is a fun thread!

We had two finches when I was a kid. For Christmas, we decided to give them a cute little mirror with a bell on it. We put it in the cage, and one of the birds looked at herself in the mirror and keeled over onto the bottom of the cage. Dead as can be. (I sometimes look at myself in the mirror with some shock ...)

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

so...I didn't know you could ONLY return the fish to the store you bought them from...which is 45 miles away -sigh-

I have to go back and get my money. They want me to bring a water sample...wtf...I poured it all out...guess I will have to fill some from the tap and treat it a bit...or something...

the school paid me for everything...but I don't want to waste the money....

maybe a beta fish would be better...it's a smaller tank, and he would do just fine alone with the elmo accessory.

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

:eek:

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

That was my first thought too when I read the title. I said, they ate that one fish and they died from food poisoning or something.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2009

It's like that book, "If You Give a Fish a Fish"....

23. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 21, 2009

Gold fish and bowls tend to sadly go hand in hand. People assume that fish only grow to the size their environment allows, when really it is stunting the fishes growth and causes it to die prematurely.

Most goldfish aren't kept properly. People buy them for small tanks and bowls all the time. Any goldfish, just one, should get a 20 gallon tank. 2 can go into a 30, and so on. But people see the cute little $.12 guys and think of them as throw aways, not realizing that those little fish, if kept properly, can grow to over 6 inches.

I'm off my soap box now. I work at Petsmart on the weekend in the fish dept and have kept fish all my life.

A betta and a snail would be much easier to take care of then tiger barbs. I have three bettas in my room, no heaters, no filters. Each has a snail and they are very active.

24. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

the beta won't hurt the snail?

25. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Had you named the fish Nemo?

(Now this thread IS making me laugh...sorry!)

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Wiping tears from my eyes (OMG...this is my life! I wake up..and before I find my glasses I look in the mirror and think "who invitied the old lady to sleep-over?")...

now I'm slap happy.

27. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

lol...i returned them and they didn't even test the water...the girl just said ok, and gave me the money...nice...

28. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Aug 21, 2009

If you are worried about the water temp, leave them in the bag that you brought them home in, and float the bag on the water of the aquarium (this might be hard to do in a bowl) for about 15 minutes, then place the fish in the water afterwards. If it was a long drive home, reopen the bag to let some fresh air in it, and then reclose the bag and then float it. The hardest part may be reclosing the bag with enough air in it for the fifteen minutes. You WANT as much air in the bag as possible.

And, please, always have a cover on your tank. Many fish are notorious for jumping out. Years ago, we had arowanas at our pet store, and we had to keep 5 lb bags of rocks on the aquarium tops, because the arowana used to toss the lid off and jump out of the aquarium. Not only does a lid keep the fish in, but it also keeps other stuff out, which is important when working with kids.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 21, 2009

Goldfish--the "fancy" kinds--need a minimum of ten gallons of water for EACH fish, and 5 is even better. The common goldfish need even more than that.

They are dirty fish, digesting less than half of their food, so they poop a lot! They need a lot of water in order to keep clean water.

I raise fancy goldfish. I do keep the babies in smaller tanks, but they don't stay for long.

And bettas do better in tanks and more water as well. Just because they CAN live in stagnant water doesn't mean that's best for them.

30. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 21, 2009

bettas actually tend to not like high currents. not only does the current impact their swimming due to thier long fins, but it also destroys their bubble nests. Mine are each in one gallon tanks, and are very active and happy. All have huge bubble nests. My bettas have never bothered my snails. They typically go after other bright fish, however, there are of course exceptions.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2009

I love fish, they're pretty & I've had tons in the past, but the thing I hate about buying them is you don't know how old they already are when you're buying them from the pet shop (unless it's obvious).

At least you got your money back.

32. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 21, 2009

We bought some fish a few weeks ago - the lady put the fish in the bags and said, "Uh, I don't think you're gonna want this one". My DH and I looked at each other thinking who is she to tell us that. Then we saw that the one fish had a whole fish in it's mouth with just a tail sticking out :woot:

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2009

How difficult is it to care for the snails? What do you feed them, and how often?

I have a betta at home who is thriving. :) He is in a smallish tank, so I have to clean it every 4-5 days or so. This is sort of a pain, but it is worth it to me to keep him happy and healthy. And I am pretty sure he's both of those things, because he always builds a GIANT bubble nest the day after a water change.

I want to get a betta for school too. I'd probably put him in a larger tank, though, just so that I don't have to do the water changes quite as often.

34. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 22, 2009

I feed mine every other day, or every few days really. I have these tablets for bottom feeders that I break in half and occassionally I'll throw in a whole one, but I don't want to over feed them either. They are really easy.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 22, 2009

We've had our fish for 3 years. Sometimes I forget to feed them. They seem to be doing ok LOL

36. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 22, 2009

I had a betta fish that my brother gave me...his name was james...he lived about 2 years...he was a good fish.

I gave my brother 2 betta fish (2 tanks)...and he named his Shaq and Your Mother. He's weird...lol...he'd go around saying, "Your Mother's a fish..."...ha

Yes...i think betta is good way to go

37. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

I've had 3 Bettas. I think the most important thing would be to have at least a 3 gallon tank so you only have to change the water once a week and it's easy to lift. My Betta loves his 3 gallon tank. It's big enough for him to exercise and find hiding places and enjoy his life.

Soapbox moment: Please don't get a small "betta bowl" it will teach the kids that is okay to be cruel to a fish. I know the rumor is that Bettas live in small places, but most professional fish keepers feel tiny betta bowls are criminal. Now I'm off my soap box ....

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

I got my mom a little tank with a beta one year for her birthday. She loved it and would talk to it all the time. One day she came home and went to say hello to the fish, and it wasn't in the tank, so she took a step back to look closer, and she stepped on it. It had jumped out. We joked that it committed suicide.

39. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

Speaking of Betas, I got a minbow tank at petco that had a divider so that you could keep two betas or a beta and another fish, and they couldn't attack each other.

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2009

Our grandson won 3 of those silly goldfish at the fair this summer. The fish live with me, yaay. They are in a goldfish bowl. I feed them twice a day and clean their water every other day. I am sick, sick,sick of them! If I put them in a 5 gallon aquarium with a pump, does that help to keep their water clean??? It's hard enough for me to lift this big bad fish bowl for cleaning!!! :p

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 22, 2009

The goldfish they give away at fairs are common goldfish, which are pond fish. They won't survive long in a bowl, even with frequent water changes. They can live a long time and grow to over a foot long. They also like "stuff" in their environment like small gravel and plants.

Find someone with a pond who will take them off your hands. If you want to keep them, they will need a bare minimum of 10-15 gallons of water EACH with a good filter system and regular cleanings . . . and never change out all the water at the same time.

Goldfish are also always hungry. Mine eat once a day during the week, and they go without food on weekends. I also don't feed them when I'm on vacation. They are fine for up to two weeks. Ths helps keep the water cleaner as well.