4 Day Week

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Teri22G, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Apr 3, 2007

I was wondering what teachers think of a 4 day week?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 3, 2007

I like the extra day off...but I hate having to cram everything in four days. Those weeks end up seeming so much longer.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

Hmmm, I don't know. The week for me seems to fly by. I can't believe that tomorrow is already Wednesday. Also, Wednesday is our minimum day so we have a short day tomorrow.:D

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2007

While I love short weeks, they always seem to be more stressful. The kids seem to feel that the whole week is a holiday and I spend more time on discipline. We are also off on Monday, so have 2 short weeks in a row. (Looking forward to 4 days at home to catch up on some rest and housework--okay, I'm not looking forward to that part).

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2007

I agree with Mrs C. I love them, but the kids seem so much more hyper.

But I wonder if you're suggesting a full year of 4 day weeks? In that case, no thanks!!!

As much as I love teaching, I love that feeling at the end of June. You get up in the morning and can be as lazy as you want knowing that you're off tomorrow and the next day as well.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

I would prefer an extended day, 4-day week. Not year-round.

8. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Apr 4, 2007

Every Friday is a 2 hour early release day. You'd think that would be a good thing because we could have more planning time, but actually the 2 hours is taking up with (mostly)useless trainings and (mostly) worthless staff meetings. It kind of makes it kind of hard to get everything in, but I guess it's hard to get kids to focus during the last 2 hours of a Friday.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

I know there are a couple of districts in Kentucky which have a four day week. I believe that teachers still report five days, but one day is for PD, parent meetings, planning, etc.

I would vote no for a four-day week which would require virtually no summer break.

I would consider a four-day week which lengthened the day but kept the full summer break.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2007

I can't see parents (aka "voters") going for it; it would be a childcare nightmare!

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2007

They were talking here of going to a four day week which sounds great to me but I really wouldn't want it. It would mean an extended day and by the end of the day now my little ones can't wait to go home.

12. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 5, 2007

I would love a four day week!

Currently, I teach Monday to Friday, then Saturday program, Summer School, and Lord knows when I find the time to plan!!!

I would love to see a shorter day, longer vacations or breaks between grading periods, and an extended year (to lessen the mind chill of summer), and more athletics in the afternoons to get the kiddos off their rears!

13. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Apr 5, 2007

I think I would have a problem with it as a Coach. My days would be even longer and my grading would never get done.

Plus, even on those Fridays, I would need to practice or have a game. Now, if we had a 4 day week with the kids and the Friday was a Proffessional Development day that would let me prepare for the week and we still had the same summer schedule I would be ALL for it.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 5, 2007

As a teacher, I would hate a 4 day program. As an Aide, I would be thrilled. I get burned out by Thursday.