4-BLOCKS reading program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by iteachm123, Jun 11, 2005.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 11, 2005

I need some advice and I know I came to the right place. I have another interview on Tues. in the district that I have really wanted and they use the 4-BLOCKS program. A friend told me to brush up on the program because they will probably ask me some questions about it in the interview. When I had a long-term subbing position in that district, I asked to go to the 4-BLOCKS inservice with the other 2nd grade teachers in the district just in case sometime down the road I was hired in. I really wanted to know all about the program. I attended the inservice (1/2 day) and learned a lot, although it was just for a limited time. I got a wonderful multi-page handout (booklet) made my DeLinda Youngblood, a wonderful teacher who was the speaker and has great success with it in her classroom. This position is for the third grade, by the way.

This is the question: What type of questions do you think they may ask me about this program? I reviewed it, but I really don't have an idea of what kind of details they may be looking for. I am one out of nin being interviewed and I really want this job. Could anyone help??? Thank you so much!

3. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jun 11, 2005

They might ask if you know and can describe the 4 components of the program. Most likely they'll want to know how you will integrate the 4 blocks in your lessons. (for example... how will the reading flow into your writing lessons, etc.) They may even ask you to explain what one day in a 4 blocks class might look like. There are many websites that have lessons for you to look at that might help you. Here is one for grades 3-6 that I found really helpful:
    http://personal.bellsouth.net/n/a/naneb/index.html

4. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jun 11, 2005

Oh - and definitely be ready to explain how you will manage your guided reading groups and what types of learning centers you'll have for the other kids to do while you meet with a group.

5. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jun 14, 2005

They may also ask about self selected reading and the guided writing block.

6. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 27, 2005

Speaking of 4 blocks....I know that the district that I'll be teaching in uses this program. Most of the information that I've found discusses using this in grades 1-3, but upper el is mentioned on occassion. Does anyone use this program for 5th grade (it's what I'll be teaching).

Thanks!