3rd Grade Writing

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Dimi101, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Dimi101

Dimi101 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I'm teaching 3rd grade writing for the first time this upcoming year. I taught 2nd grade last year so I know that my students cannot even write good sentences yet. Where do I begin? My school district uses Writing Academy and the students are expected to write an entire story the first 6 weeks. Help!:(

3. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I am making a polar opposite move from a low income family school to a school in an affluent area....both third grade....so I am in a similar situation.

I'm going to beging the year by giving them a writing sample. I have them write "Why _________ is the best school." I will tell them that I would like to see complete sentences and paragraphs.
    Sometimes I literally get "a list" while others will give me complete sentences loaded with examples. This sample helps me know what skills I need to focus on during the year.
    Then, I give them the same topic at the middle and end of the year, put it into a book, and give it to the parents at the end of the year. This will show the parents how much progress they have made throughout the year. Hope this helps!!!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

I agree with giving a writing sample to see where they are. I keep the sample (with a date on it) to put it in their portfolio so I can (hopefully) be amazed at their end of the year work. Don't be afraid to go over the basics of writing a good sentence from the get-go. Make sure they know your expectations in writing from the beginning, and MODEL, MODEL, MODEL what you want. You will have a lot of kids on different steps in the writing process, so just be patient, use conferences to help you and your kids, and make sure you use mini-lessons that help the kids too.

What is the philosophy behind Writing Academy? Is it similar to writer's workshop?

5. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

6. Dimi101

Dimi101 Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I haven't used Writer's Workshop so I don't know exactly how it works...but Writing Academy goes through the steps of writing (Brainstorming, Pre-Writing...). I just worry about getting the kids to the point of writing a good paragraph. Sentence writing is rough for them. I work in a low income district and there is not much help at home for these kids. Thanks for the help, though! I'm going to use these idea...and look into the book camcdade suggested.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks for the idea of the book...it sounds like its a good resource. I'm going to have to check it out! :D

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

Keep in mind that any progress made is just that...progress. And that should make you feel good. They won't become master writers immediately and many may strruggle with writing solid paragraphs for a while. But just don't give up on them and keep modeling and conferencing with them. You can also try to include some helpful hints that might not necessarily be intertwined with writing academy, such as "Write a Satisfying Paragraph" (this is a poster I have with a bear and a hamburger on a bun- each part of the hamburger means something). I'll have to see if I can find the meanings...my kids love it and it helps them write better! :up: