3rd grade trouble

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sweetlatina23, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

A coworker of mine is experiencing severe troubles with her students. They are not doing their homework, they are VERY disrespectful. Her, her student teacher, two of our religion teachers, and the PE coach are LOST. They dont know what to do. All afternoon you hear YELLING. Any suggestions? I have never had trouble like that, plus mine are older and are respectful. Suggestions please?

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 26, 2010

I would go back to procedures, procedures, and procedures! Go over them until they ALL get it. Maybe incorporate social skills daily. What type of behavior management plan does she have in place?

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 26, 2010

5. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 26, 2010

I tried the link for whole Brain Teaching and was told they are full and cannot accept any more applicants at this point.What does this say about the discipline of the children in many of our schools?.
    I assume you are in a private ,religious school since you mention the religion teachers.Have the parents been contacted and given cards to sign off about the homework being completed each evening. Are the parents paying tuition and don't care their money is going to waste. Have privileges been given to those children who behave. Why should children who can't behave be allowed to go to gym?
    .Can a reward system such as special lunches be given to those who show respect and complete their assignments
    I would create lessons and model based upon the character traits expected in school,such as: Respect,Responsibility,,Friendship.Trustworthy.Citizenship
    Define each and brainstorm in groups or as a class examples of each idea.Review class rules and role play each rule,what they mean and the correct and incorrect interpretations of each rule( 4 or 5) at the most.
    Has the administration been involved? What have they done to speak to the children and parents?Please don't tell me they have placed the blame on the teacher.
    People outside of education don't realize how difficult dealing with a class of students can be. Support your fellow teacher in any way you can. Good Luck.

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

Thanks! She has a reward system in place but its not working. They are completely being rude. I have gone in and they seem totally different, but then again I am not there all the time. I just feel bad that she is struggling and we are in week 3, they should already we adjusting from being at a new school. Last year they were in a different school because we have our younger ones in one from prek to 2nd and this is their first year at our elementary/middle school. They are being taught respeonsibility, and parents pay tutition. They have a homework journal that needs to be signed daily, it is signed but the homework isnt completed. Its just a tough crowd, I hope things get better. I think a one on one or small group sessions will help, a whole group right now is difficult.

7. ginac

ginac Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

Start calling home!! Talk to the parents and tell the children that everytime they are disrespectful the parents will get a call. Have the other teachers who are having a problem tattle on them too!!!