3rd grade teachers and students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Toast, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Toast

Toast Companion

Dec 3, 2010

Fellow 3rd grade teachers........ I am curious how well behaved your class is this year. It seems that the group I have this just doesn't seem to compare to any other. Lots of behavior issues, social issues, MANY students on IEP's for other reasons besides learning disabilities. I know that sometimes certain students with needs get put with specific teachers, but I find it odd at the high number of behavior issue/high maintainance in my grade level this year. I've even had siblings of some of my students in the past and they were not nearly as "crazy" as this group.

I have pondered the possibilites of what may have contributed to this.

Did McDonald's have extra hormones in their burgers that pregnant women were eating? I also know that this group is made up of 9/11 babies...... Hmmmm. Something to think about.

I am curious about other 3rd graders around the country. Those of you that teach 3rd grade, how is your class this year?

3. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Dec 3, 2010

My 4th graders are like this! The whole grade level has WAY more behavior problems than any other grade level in the school.

The 3rd graders however are little angels :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

My class is essentially sweet and wants to please me. They don't know how to just 'be' though... They need toe occupied constantly...there is no 'wait time' in my class.. Constant energy, inquiry, and activity. Considering that I'm new at this grade level, it does keep me on my toes.

5. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Dec 3, 2010

I looped with my second graders from last year and I have them for half of a day for reading. I then have another class for reading in the afternoon. I absolutely love my classes, they want to please and I have very little behavioral issues. I have been told tho that their hormones will kick in and they start to change (I hope they don't!). But, I have heard that from the fourth grade teachers that the kids they have are HORRIBLE. But, I don't want to give my kids up, they really are the best group I have had.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

Every so often the cosmos allign to produce a class that's uniquely challenging.

It happens.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2010

I have to say that two years ago I had a great bunch of kids! They were 2nd graders, eager to please as other posters have said, and eager to learn new things. Not too many behavior issues and I rarely had to call home or discipline other than maybe the loss of a special for not turning in homework or something like that. I looped with those kids to 3rd grade.....and needless to say.....they changed!!! I couldn't believe the change in some of them. I always heard that 3rd grade is the year when kids start to "challenge" their teacher and start to develop "attitudes" etc. I didn't think this group would do that, and they did! I started seeing "diva like" behavior from some of the girls and the boys got a little disrespectful at times. Made me take a long look at things so I had to totally revamp my behavior management plan and try new things. To me,they were a new bunch of kids. So there is some truth to the 3rd grade myth. I am a living witness. :)

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

We have a challenging group of third-graders this year. The biggest problem is the jump in class-size from grade two and three. What was four grade two classes has become two and a half grade three classes. The split class (3/4) has no problems really to speak of, due to the fact it is a split class. Several others of the brightest and best behaved transferred out to French immersion, and at least three students who are either experiencing significant academic or behavioral challenges (or both) transferred in at the beginning of the year. That meant that kids who we were able to keep separated up to grade three now need to be in the same classroom, and the mix isn't a good one.

9. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

I don't teach 3rd grade, but at my school the two 3rd grade groups (one in particular) are very difficult ones.

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

The entire third grade at my school this year has been known as the sweetest class in the school by resource teachers since they were in Kinder. The second grade coming up to third next year is another story!