3rd grade read aloud books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newteachfl, May 23, 2008.

1. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

May 23, 2008

I read Charlotte's Web to my class and they absolutely LOVED it. They would get so sad when we would stop for the day. They'd even follow along as I read whereas with most other read alouds they had no interest in that. I even had one of my struggling readers (who I have to beg to do any form of work) ask to take the book home when he missed a day to read with his sister! It made me so excited to see him so excited (even if he couldn't read the book himself). I've read my class several other books, some they liked, some they didn't like so much. But Charlotte's Web was the first book they LOVED this much. Does anyone have any other suggestions for read alouds that you're kids really got into? I'm trying to get on the ball and plan for my second year (I'm 8 days away form having made it through my first year in one piece yay!) and this is defintely an area I'd like to work on. Any suggetions would be great.

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 23, 2008

This year I've read Clementine, The Talented Clementine, Snot Stew, Gooney Bird Greene, The Miraculous Adventure of Edward Tulane, The BFG, and The Hundred Dresses. My kids liked just about all of them very very much! I read the last as a way to get my kids to make connections with the girls in the book and all the teasting (big problem this year!!). It helped some of the teasing stop in my room.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 25, 2008

I know the 3rd grade teacher in my school reads The Chocolate Touch and Freckle Juice to her students. They also love Matilda.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 25, 2008

My 2nd graders where riveted by On the Banks of Plum Creek (a Laura Ingalls Wilder book). It took us a long time to finish it, but we had a blast. For the last book of the year I'm doing an old favorite of mine, Sign of the Beaver.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 25, 2008

This year I read:

The BFG
    The Kid Who Ran For President/ The Kid Who Became President
    Poppy
    Then What Happened Paul Revere?
    Beowulf (children's version)
    Clarice Bean Spells Trouble (VERY good, lots of good discussion on learning styles and appreciating differing abilities)
    Hamlet (by Bruce Colville- picture book adaption)
    Hachiko Waits
    The Hundred Dresses

I have my students read both The Chocolate Touch and Freckle Juice in book groups or suggest they read them alone. I try to make sure my read alouds are a couple of levels higher than they would read on their own, generally or books they may not pick up on their own. But, I also like them to read some on their own, so if the book is part of a series (like Poppy and Clarice Bean) I have the other books in the series available so the kids can read them. Popular books like those by Matt Christopher or Animal Ark books I wouldn't do as a read aloud, since they read those on their own.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 25, 2008

Good suggestions, MissFroggy!

I also like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Sarah, Plain and Tall.

8. Kristybarr26

Kristybarr26 Rookie

May 25, 2008

My third graders have read Skinnybones in groups and they seemed to like the book. I have read aloud: The Bridge to Terabithia and The Ghost of Fossil Glen. I also read these two books to my third graders last year and both years they have been Huge hits. They never want me to stop reading.

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

May 25, 2008

my kids love the wayside school series. they are hilarious and it really draws the kids in. we also read the shiloh trilogy and they begged for it every day! after that, we started holes. we didn't finish it though...our year ended! :) but they enjoyed it as well.

LC

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 25, 2008

I am reading Stuart Little right now and they really enjoy it. Maybe they might like it as well, since it is by EB White?

My kids also really enjoyed The Boxcar Children, the first book.

11. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

May 26, 2008

A lot of books I have read have already been mentioned. I did read a few from the Chronicles of narnia and their favorite has been The Magician's Nephew. They also like Holes. Someone else mentioned The BFG, that was a big hit with my class.

12. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

May 26, 2008

Another vote for Wayside School. I also read Hank the Cowdog (with a Texas drawl of course), Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and James and the Giant Peach. Be prepared before reading The BFG, though. I attempted it, but got so muddled with all the weird words, we had to stop. Both the kids and I were frustrated with it. Maybe that's the difference in second and third grade.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 26, 2008

The third grade class that I student taught loved Frindle and The Chocolate Touch. The first grade class I just LTS'ed had been reading the Magic Treehouse series all year & loved it as well. I'm just impressed that you have enough time to read to them that often! Some days when I would read to my 3rd graders, I felt like I was stealing the time from ("important") learning activities! I know, I know, this IS important, but you know....

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 26, 2008

I understand completely. I enjoy reading to the kids, but the only time to do it is while they are working on an assignment. This causes problems because some can't concentrate on work while I'm reading.

15. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

I save Sarah Plain and Tall for 4th grade teachers. My kids loved Ramona Quimby, age 8. They related to it

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 26, 2008

I read to my kids at the end of their self selected reading time. The last five to eight minutes are devoted to our read aloud.

17. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

May 27, 2008

why is that the only time to do it? i read aloud when everyone is packing up and we're waiting to get on the bus/go home. it keeps them quiet and they enjoy it. just a suggestion. :)

LC

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 28, 2008

The main problem is that I am passing out papers, signing assignment notebooks, etc. I am looking for more efficent procedures though. I'll have to think about this!

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 28, 2008

I read to my kids everyday right after lunch. I have a good 15 minutes between then and recess. It actually works very well. If you listen to Stephanie Harvey, she says that the kids should have at least 80 (i think thats right) minutes of independent reading time everyday.

20. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

May 28, 2008

Little House in the Big Woods-you might have to start it right away because it's lengthy but very interesting and engaging!!

21. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Of all the read alouds I did this past year, my kids enjoyed Snot Stew the most. I actually had some students go out and purchase the book with their own money. I definitely plan on using this book as a read aloud next year as well.

22. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I student taught in a third grade classroom last fall. My cooperating teacher always starts off the year reading There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom The students really like it and it introduces them to a book other than the Wayside School Stories that Louis Sachar has written. She also read The Tale of Despereaux which the kids loved and could be seen trying to read ahead during silent reading time. I read a very long book to the kids called Inkheart. It's a book that takes quite a bit fo time to get through but my kids appreciated it very much. I had kids checking it out of the library, having their parents buy them a copy so they could read it at home and follow along when I read aloud. When I went back to visit some of the students were working on the second book Inkspell which made me so happy!

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Would "The Boy who Ran for President" appropriate for second (and third) graders? I see lots of you read it to fourth graders.

24. lincoln11

lincoln11 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

My third graders loved Because of Winn Dixie and The Year of the Panda.