3rd Grade Pets...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cara3rd, Jun 1, 2003.

1. cara3rd

cara3rd Rookie

Jun 1, 2003

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good class pets for 3rd graders. I was thinking about either a rabbit or frogs. I want the pet to be something kids can take home on weekends. Thanks!

cara

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 1, 2003

Guinea pigs are always fun! I have heard rabbits can get pretty sick and not to buy them from a pet store because of health concerns. I have no idea how true this is, but just thought I'd pass it along. However, rabbits are adorable!!!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2003

I had a beautiful rabbit too - until one night the janitor had to spend about an hour and a half chasing it around the school. So now I don't get pets that jump or run very fast. Therefore, for me the best pet is a guinea pig. They are more responsive than rabbits, hamsters, frogs, fish. They actually communicate with sounds. Very cute sounds. They don't jump or climb so you don't need to cover the top of the cage. By cage I mean a large Rubbermaid tote with newspaper and wood shavings on the bottom. They love veggies so you can bring in the trimmings from your dinner! They are fairly easy to hold and enjoy being petted. It is helpful to have a shoebox (which it will nibble) and/or a wooden house for it to hide in as it likes small spots. The cage will not smell as awful as a rabbit's either. I'm getting a new guinea pig this year. I had two a couple of years ago but they were getting on in years (maybe 8 or so) and they died.

5. cara3rd

cara3rd Rookie

Jun 2, 2003

thanks!

Thanks so much for the input. I guess I'll be guinea pig shopping this summer ;)

Cara

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 2, 2003

Check with your school district first. Our district restricts the types of pets we can have, probably because someone was once bitten by a class pet. Anyway, it's better to check before you make the investment.

7. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jun 2, 2003

I think guinea pigs are the best choice.One year, our class pet was a porcupine(I'm not sure how to spell that) but that didn't work well, because you have to "comfort" it for about 10 minutes before you can hold it and you had to get golves and stuff so I would recomend a guinea pig and maybe even have 2 and mate them- that's what I did and it was a wonderful learnign expierence for the kids...

8. cara3rd

cara3rd Rookie

Jun 2, 2003

I didn't know you had to check about class pets... thanks!

-Cara

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 2, 2003

Be sure your room doesn't get too hot. We had a class guinea pig die one weekend when the heat soared. We haven't had a pet since.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2003

Don't get a rabbit they STINK!!!!

I know teachers who have really nice fish tanks ( not just goldfish) in their rooms. It's kind of nice to be in there. The nice thing is they have those 3 day feeder things that you can put in over the weekend.

11. Cindy

Cindy Companion

Jun 3, 2003

I subbed in a class that had a hedgehog, it was small and very cute. They would let it out to run around. Have you seen that comercial(sp)
    where the animal crawls up the guys pants and his girlfriend takes the picture with her phone, the animal is a hedgehog.

12. cara3rd

cara3rd Rookie

Jun 5, 2003

lol

Thanks to everyone that posted, you all helped me tons! I think that I'll let the class next year vote on what they'd like (between a hedgehog, guinea pig, and fish). And by the way, I love that commercial with the hedgehog :). Bye everyone!

13. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jun 6, 2003

I just had to share. My students knew I wasn't thrilled about any kind of class pet. But they wanted something. So, I gathered up a bunch of worms. (nightcrawlers) I put them in a clear tub of dirt. I made a cover of black construction paper to put around it. The worms would come to the edge of the tub. The kids could pull off the cover and look at them. They loved them! We fed them garbage and dead leaves every couple days. It was a very low maintenance pet! Then at the end of the year we turned them loose on the playground.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jun 6, 2003

Just something to think about. (I had this happen to me with a class pet.) My class had a hamster that went home for a visit. (He did not go home on a regular basis, this was over an extended weekend.) The hamster took a dive off a bunk bed and died. The child felt horrible. Be prepared for a situation like this. I would rethink having the pet go home. It is a huge responsiblity for a child and their family to take care of the class pet at their home. Also, you never really know what is happening to that animal when at a child's home. I think class pets are great for students to enjoy and learn from at school.

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jun 6, 2003

One more thing, think about a non-living item going home with a journal for a visit. My first grade took turns taking home Arthur and D.W. this year. Each stuffed animal had a journal and story that the family could share. The kids had a ball writing about their visits in the journal and sharing them the next day.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 6, 2003

I had a hamster go home with a child and get eaten by their dog. The parents felt awful and purchased another hamster which looked almost exactly like the original. I stress almost. The first child into the classroom the next morning noticed and so did the rest. I didn't sent pets home anymore. I take my guinea pig home on weekends - that's why I like to use a Rubbermaid tub because it is easy to carry.