3rd Grade Math

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Aug 27, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Teachers, by the time the kids get to thrird grade what level of math should thet be on? My daughter had addition and subtraction with 100's place value and multiplication through the 5's. All the graphs, greater than, less than, equal too, shapes, some fractions. Yesterday she comes home 3rd day of class with learning 1,000 place value. But in order to figure out if the written problems were greater then, less then or equal to 1000 they had to multipy and divide with 100's.. she had no clue how to do that I had a hard time trying to teach it to her. I feel there is a much easier way to learn 1000 place value then that, even the math book doesn't go in to multiplying and dividing.. Math has been my daughters stronger subject, I just don't want her falling off the chart with that also.. any advise?? :dizzy:

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2009

In Idaho they usually come in knowing at least to the thousands place value, and we go to hundred thousands. But we don't do multiplication and division until after Christmas.

4. corney

corney Companion

Aug 28, 2009

I think I'll make a chart for her to use at home so she knows the place values. I know they didn't get to thousands last year in 2nd grade.. Which is fine, I was just flusterted at the elevated level of word problems she had to complete in order to determine what was greater than, less than or equal to 1000.

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

I can think of a few things that just might help.

I create little flip charts for place value. I have index cards with numbers 1-9 on them and a hole punched in the top. I put these on rings and then attach them to tag board (like a file folder) that I've glued into a triangle so it'll stand up. I can add new places when the time comes or just you it for 10s or 100s. I think I got this idea from a Mailbox book.

Next, make sure she has a system for dealing with word problems. We use Saxon math and I'm currently working with my students on underlining the question we need to solve, bracketing the important information we'll need to solve the question and crossing out information that doesn't matter. If she can develop a system, it should become easy to pull out the facts.

6. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 30, 2009

We are doing a review of hundereds on the first day for place value but then will be up to 100,000 on the second day. By the end of the week we will be figuring greater/less then in math. We will not be multiplying or dividing at the same time. I will be introducing multiplication day 1 but that is because I know that it takes some time for mastery and I want them to have their facts by Christmas so we can begin division and plenty of practice before state tests.
    FWIW- 3rd grade is more difficult than 2nd in most states. It seems that there is typically a jump in the "odd numbered" years. Here in CA we refer to it as 1st grade introduces, 2nd grade refines, 3rd grade introduces, refines and masters everything taught so far. It is an important grade but a very difficult one as well. It is why 3rd grade test results are typically lower here.

7. corney

corney Companion

Aug 31, 2009

fortunatly my daughter likes math so I think she will figure it out ok.. I over reacted a bit because we were driving to the hospital to see my mom.. I let myself get rattled cause I wanted her to do her mom work before we got there so we could have a nice visit etc.. Everything has calmed down and we will have time to go over all the math as needed.. but I like the flip chart idea.. I'll give it a try.. Thanks..

8. lorilei

lorilei New Member

Sep 7, 2009

I live in NC. I am new to 3rd grade. I taught K last year and that was my first year of teaching. We have the Investigations adoption at our school. It is new this year because they had Everyday Math last year.

What can I use as a supplement? I am not seeing so much problem solving and critical thinking. Maybe that will come later, but I would like to incorporate it now too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

lorilei