3rd Grade Literacy Baskets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jun 23, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 23, 2006

I have been using literacy basket rotations (literacy centers) for 2 years in kindergarten and LOVE it. The kids look forward to the activities and all the extra hands-on practice has been so helpful in getting from understanding a concept to truly mastering it. I am moving up to third grade next year and would like to maintain this idea. Anyone have some activity ideas for 3rd grade? I HATE baskets that rely 100% on completing worksheets, it defeats the purpose in my mind although recording sheets are great following an activity. What specific skills should my 3rd graders be working on? I am in a different state so I don't have the text books to review right now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

3. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

lots of non-fiction
    poetry
    comparing 2 poems
    biographies
    writing - grammer, how to, editing, etc.
    vocabulary
    spelling

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 23, 2006

Ideas from my 3rd grade literacy centers include:

Partner reading, poetry reading, QuickReads, Dolch word matching, Vocabulary picture/word matching (then have them write about it), Dictionary study (kids help create searches using the dictionary or I create one for them to work on those skills), making words- sometimes they make their spelling words sometimes i have a secret word and they have to make as many words as they can, and comprehension cards with a small paragraph and questions to answer.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

Picture books with the text cut out. Students write their own stories. Paper folded into story boards where students can write/draw about scenes in each chapter or each section of the books.