3rd grade issues

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TheFlash545, Jan 21, 2019.

1. TheFlash545

TheFlash545 New Member

Jan 21, 2019

Hi. I'm new to the forum

I'm a third grade teacher and it's my first time teaching lower primary. I have a student who doesn't respect me. When I take him out to talk to him about misbehaviour he just says OK, OK, OK sorry. When he is out with the children he misbehaves with he laughs and makes jokes, when my back is turned he pretends to kick me. In class when I teach he makes jokes and distracts everyone he can. He interrupts and says stuff that isn't polite or helpful. He gets up and jumps around. I have no idea how to Stop it. Please help me with ideas. I've talked to parents I've talked to him, I've had him stay after school, at break... Etc but... I dunno how to work with him. And it's starting to effect the others. We have three kids who misbehave frequently together. But I think if I can reign in this one the others will follow

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 21, 2019

I would choose a few things and stick with them. Behavior changes take time and a lot of consistency. He sounds like a handful too. I'd start with these 3.

1. This age students love to help and especially if they see the task as "special". If you can get him to help sharpen pencils, be in charge of straightening desks, passing out papers to go home etc. Some important job.

2. Choose a consequence that you can follow through with--missing some recess etc.

3. Focus on a specific disruptive behavior in class. Usually getting him to raise his hand and not interrupt or stay in seat can be a huge help. Time him and see if he can go 15 or 20 minutes with not interrupting, if so he earns 2 extra minutes of recess for the class and all applaud. If not, he resets the timer and tries again.

Whatever you do, he needs to know you will follow through. Follow through is many times more important than the consequence or special job you choose.

Good luck!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2019

What have you tried?

otterpop likes this.
  5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 22, 2019

If you have the power & influence in your classroom, I might try consequences with students he's getting to go along with him. In other words, if kids laugh at inappropriate or disrespectful jokes, they get a consequences. Cut off his source.

Second, increase supervision temporarily - don't give him the privilege of privacy in your classroom - he needs to sit in the front, walk in a certain place in line, etc. This way he won't have the opportunity to get away with things,.

Third, be neutral and don't at all show it gets under your skin - don't be on his side, and don't ask him for his collaboration. In general I support collaborating with students, but he's demonstrated he's not on your side or interested. He needs to understand the limits & boundaries, feel the pain, then later on you can pull him aside and say, "look - this isn't working out for you, and I want it to. What can we do so that you can get yourself out of this situation?"

Fourth, but which should probably be first, establish clear & frequent consequences for clearly defined behaviors. And be sure to understand what he actually perceives as punitive. Some sort of public call out may be reinforcing to him, as would standing in the corner (if he gets laughs). Feel free to start small - minutes off free activity time, etc.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 22, 2019

Honestly, I had a similar student last year and I never was able to figure out something that worked. Consequences and rewards meant nothing to the child. Following!

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 22, 2019

Whatever OP tries, document what was done, for how long, and any change in behavior, better or worse. Also document the behaviors that are not the norm, the lack of concern for consequences, and the effect his actions have on the entire class/their learning. Call it an educated hunch, but this student may make it on the CST;s radar at some point, and the better the behaviors have been documented, the better for everyone. Shrugging shoulders and just accepting the behaviors helps no one. Just my opinion, of course.

otterpop likes this.