3rd grade home work

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2013

Having never taught 3rd I am wonder just how much homework should a 3rd grader have a night; 1 hour, 2 hours 3 hours or more? My granddaughter is in "advanced" 3rd grade and she seems to have a lot of home work. She does it at kitchen table, no TV no, radio, Mom is "Proctoring" her. Mom takes Soccer and/or girl scouts away if she does not finished, (that's a whole different story) I think that unguided practice is not as good as guided practice.

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 24, 2013

I've heard the "general" guide is 10 minutes per grade level per night? Although one thing to consider is- is the homework SUPPOSED to take that long or is the child struggling?

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2013

I thought the same thing but I was thinking about 20 min per year
    The only reason she would be struggling would be because she is missing "kid time" she is very bright (not just a grandpa brag)

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 24, 2013

I teach third grade gifted kids. Monday through Thursday, my kids have 20 minutes of reading, and then I try to average ten minutes of other work for the middle kid in my class. Some days it's more, in which case I cut back over the next couple days. If a parent contacts me and tells me it's too much, I accept it at their word without hesitating, and I make that clear to parents at Back to School Night.

If it's taking your granddaughter an hour or more a night, then either the teacher is assigning an unreasonable amount of work, or your granddaughter is in an inappropriate placement.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2013

Agreed. I would suggest a conversation with the teacher may be in order to find out how long she feels the homework should be taking her students. Anything more than 45 minutes at that age is, in my opinion, far too much. Is this amount of homework an everyday occurrence or does it just happen occasionally?

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2013

As I understand (my DIL's Facebook page) other parents are thinking the same, an unreasonable amount.
    Would you say about a hour would be appropriate?

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2013

I am not sure if it is EVERY day but close to it.
    I'll talk with my son, he is staying with me while he starts a new job and the family will be moving at the end of the semester back to Phoenix

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 24, 2013

Absolutely not. An hour is counterproductive for third graders, particularly if it's not including 20 minutes of reading. I'm not going to pretend that my way is the ONLY way to do things, but assuming the teacher expects kids to read 20 minutes a night, then he/she should be expecting no more than 20 minutes at most of other stuff.

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 24, 2013

In my district, the official policy is no more than 30 mins for K-2and no more than an hour for 3-5.

My coworker and I give a combined 30-40 minutes at most. Often the kids start on it during class, meaning less to do at home. It could possibly take up to an hour for an extremely struggling student or one that is a "stop and go" worker.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2013

Thank you

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2013

30 minutes is the guideline for gade 3 in my district. For my class that's typically read for 20 minutes, students lg their reading; a math page; spelling homework.