3rd grade here I come

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Jun 11, 2016.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Jun 11, 2016

Hi! I just completed my ninth year of teaching. I have been at the same school and in the same room for all nine years. I've also only taught k-2 grades. I volunteered to move up for next school year because of staffing changes. I'll be changing everything I've ever know as a teacher. Any must haves for third grades to help me prepare to teach 3rd? Thanks!

DressageLady likes this.
  3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 11, 2016

Third graders grow a lot during third grade... probably as much or more than any other grade. They really come in as babies and leave as preteens. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind with third grade is that your expectations for independent work can and must continually go up throughout the year.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 11, 2016

The beginning of third is much like April of second grade. Going up one grade is pretty easy on the moving spectrum. Take what you've done and add a bit more student responsibility to it and it should work.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 12, 2016

I found base 10 blocks to be essential for tying up loose ends and missing links in number sense. Memorizing the basic arithmetic facts is a big stepping stone for third graders. Most still need to learn the addition/subtraction facts, and you will probably be finalizing the multiplication/division facts. When facts are sent home to be memorized, a current trend among third grade parents is to check with the students concerning written homework, and postpone the memorization until the night before the quiz, which of course, doesn't work. In other words, you might need to spend extra class time in memorization. Study buddy activities, such as with flashcards seem to be very helpful. Mnemonics--I've never really determined how helpful they are, but I do think they provide an extra boost to memorization. An activity I tried one year, and wish I would have continued, as I found out years later it seemed to have a positive effect, I'd squeeze in about 3 minutes to write a few facts on the whiteboard, play Baroque or other music (slower compositions), and ask the students to memorize the facts so they could say them without looking. Every student was focused on the activity. (The reason I stopped, the philosophy of the school changed and kind of frowned on static activities such as that). I've found the hardest facts to understand, although the easiest to memorize, are the facts for 0, 1, and 2. Without concrete explorations, many misconceptions can develop concerning products from these factors.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2016

When I moved to third from fourth the biggest adjustment for me was in how much I needed to model and do group writing. Not sure if it was just my school, but the students are not very used to doing much independent writing for a purpose.
    I have moved several times (usually by choice), and for me going down grades is the hardest.
    Overall, I have found third graders to be enthusiastic and helpful, and very
    huggy!
    I usually start the year reading The Grand Escape series by Naylor, but my teammate starts with the Humphrey series; the kids love both.
    My district requires cursive, and this took a lot of review.
    We start multiplication fairly early because it is so crucial for them to understand conceptually; knowing the facts is important, but if they "get" it, they can figure out a product if they get stuck.
    Good luck!

Obadiah likes this.
  7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 17, 2016

Exciting! I'm just finishing my ninth year, and am moving to third grade next year as well. I'm moving down from fourth, but I also have been moving around from grade to grade every year... I'm excited about it as well.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019