3rd Grade games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Loves2TeachinSC, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

I saw a post on here about 4th grade games. I was wondering if any of you had any neat games for 3rd grade (any subject). I played a game with my students called MathCar racing. You have two students at the board, and you call out a math problem. The first student to get the problem correct, their team gets a point. There is a "race track" poster board that a friend made, and when a team gets a point, they move their car up one spot on the race track. The kids LOVE it...and they don't realize they are learning or reviewing, while playing the game!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2006

My students always loved circles and stars when learning/practicing multiplication.

In pairs, take turns to roll dice. First number rolled is how many circles to draw on paper, second number is how many stars, then student finds product and writes it on a tally sheet. I changed ways how students could win, you could have them keep track of products and then have them do column addition at end to see winner or who has higher product or lower product gets to roll first next round.

Another game is called, I have who has....it's alot of fun! Make a stack of flashcards for each student. On one side have a math problem (let's say multiplication) on the other side have an answer.

Here's an example....

The first student has a flashcard and you've written a #1 in the corner so you know that's the first card to start. The student reads his card, "I have 40 (this is written on one side), who has 6 X 6? (this problem is written on the other side of his card)" Then, the student who has 36 will reply, "I have 36 (written on her card-you've written a #2 in the corner so you can keep track of game- if one card is lost, can't play) then she says, who has 3 X4?(written on otherside of card). It continues this same way until the last card is given and should then start all over again. This last student should read a math problem that asks for the answer for the #1 card.

4. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Oh, I love "I have who has". I did it with geometry with my students during student teaching. I like the idea of circles and stars. I will have to try that this coming year! Thanks!

5. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 29, 2006

Here is the link for the games for levels k-3.

http://www.auburn.wednet.edu/everydaymath/gamesK3/gamcorrk3.htm

I also play games such as Sparkle. It is a spelling game. If the word was "spell" the first student would say "s", the next person would say "P", the third person would say "e", the fourth person says "l", and the fifth person would say "l". The next person would say "sparkle" and the next person is automatically down. Students get out if they say the wrong letter during the word, or if they aren't paying attention as well. I never repeat the letters previously said or the word that they should be spelling. It teaches the students to listen! Some people play that you keep going if a person is down and they would say the letter that should of been said, while others will restart the word all over. It is totally up to you.

I also use Words Their Way to make many of my spelling games. I use a lot of concentration or matching games for both my spelling words as well as math facts.

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 29, 2006

Oh, another math game you can play is called What's my Number. Each group needs three people. Two people draw a number card and hold it above their head where they can't see it. The third person needs to come up with the answer of the two cards. I've done both multiplication and addition with this game. The kids LOVE this one as well. My kids also beg to do Around the World too.

As you can see, I love to play games in my classroom!

7. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

Vicky,

I know I can share this with you anytime but I wanted to post it on here because I think it is a GREAT game and the kids LOVE it!

I never can remember the name of the game, we always just called it Guess the Word (so original, I know, ha!). I used it as a vocabulary review game.

Place a chair at the front of the classroom. The chair should face the students so the back of the chair is towards the board.
    The students will take turns going to the front to sit in the chair. I would write a vocabulary word on the board (so that the student in the chair can not see it b/c his/her back is towards it, but the rest of the class can see it).
    The student in the chair will call on three other students for "clues" about the word. Students can give antonyms, synonyms, use the word in a sentence, or the definition. The student in the chair has to guess what the word is. They have three chances.

You can alter the game by breaking the class into teams and keeping score. We usually never had enough time to really get into the game (since we played it while I was student teaching).

You could even alter the game for math: put a number on the board (say 24) and have the other students give math sentences for clues such as "6 X 4 = ? " or "40 - 16 = ?"

You're creative. You could think of a lot of other ways to play the game but I just wanted to share it because the kids LOVE it!! And so do I :)

8. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

Miss Banger...THANKS! I love the idea!!! You're the best girl!!

9. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 30, 2006

We call that vocabulary game "Password".

10. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

GREAT name!! I love it!

11. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

When I was student teaching in 3rd grade, I played a math game with the students that they loved, called "I'm the Greatest." It is a good game to play while learning place value.

Take 8x10 index cards and number them 0-9. Shuffle them so they are all mixed up. Have the students take out a piece of paper and an ink pen (not pencil so they can't erase) and draw 6 spaces on their paper, as if to write a number in the hundred thousands. Then draw an index card from your pile and announce the digit on the card. The students place they digit on one of the spaces they drew. After all of the students have placed that digit on one of their spaces, draw another index card and announce that digit. The point of the game is to create the highest possible number with all the digits that are called. The catch is, they don't know what the next digit will be! For example, if the numbers 4,6,5,7,8, and 9 are called in that order, the greatest number that can be made is 987,654. Like I said before though, the students do not know what digits will be called, so they have to think about the place value of each space and where best to position their digit. After I called out the digit on the index card, I would place on the board with a magnet so the students could see the number as well.

After all six spaces have been filled with digits, I asked the class , "Who thinks they have the greatest number?" and the student share their numbers with the class, which reinforces the pronunciation of the numbers as well. You can do this game with as many spaces (to the millions or ten millions) or as few spaces (to the hundreds or thousands), depending on what level your class is. The students loved to play this game and were so eager to see what digit was called next.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

This was in 2nd, but would work just as well for 3rd.

We played "20 Questions" with a number... one student chooses a number (we used the 100's chart) and whispers it to the teacher. The other students ask yes/no questions one at a time (the student answers) until they figure out what the "mystery number" is. We used this as the last question on our daily mini/mental math sheets, and the winner from the day before gets to pick the next day's (or pick a friend if they have gotten it recently). We kept a tally of the number of guesses... they LOVED when they could do it in under 10.

Another game I like for any age... kinda like Scattagories. I give them a category and a letter, they come up with as many words as they can that fit the category beginning with that letter. I like to play as an oral game, calling on one kid at a time (they have to raise their hands) and they can't repeat an answer. This reinforces listening and memory as well as creative thinking. ;)