3rd grade daily math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by agdamity, Jun 10, 2011.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 10, 2011

I am switching to 3rd grade in the fall. I would like to do some sort of daily math, similar to calendar math, to start math each day. In my mind, this would take 5-10 minutes total. I was thinking of doing an elapsed calendar time question, a place value question, maybe a fact of the day? (multiplication and division facts are HUGE in 3rd grade to my understanding). Does anybody else do something similar to this? What types of questions do you do?

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 11, 2011

I do this every day. I mix the type of problems depending on the lesson. Sometimes I use problems from the lesson from the day before, sometimes I use practice skills problems.

Time tables are a huge deal even in upper grades. I cannot tell you how many students I get in 8th grade who still struggle with the times tables. I would do a lot of "counting in groups" problems so that students begin practicing their times tables and also know what they mean.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

Place value and multiplication/division facts are so important for this grade. We counted the number of days in the year, then we broke this number in ones, tens, and hundreds.

We looked at different ways to write numbers (84=80+4 or 70+14, 50+34, etc).

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

Our balanced math program calls for Daily Math Review. I pick 4 -5 topics each week, and each day have a question per topic. This gives consistency in the questions; also, the topics should be review. On Friday there is a short quiz for only a few points, and it really helps isolate which topics need further review or intervention.

One of my topics is usually vocabulary (Eg - Write a number sentence with a sum of 14.) as this is very important by upper elementary.

6. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I usually make my own sheets based on what the kids are learning struggling with. I have also used Math 4 Today...but it doesn't always correlate w/ our curriculum so I sometimes need to teach new stuff when it's supposed to be ongoing review.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 11, 2011

Thanks for all the ideas! :)

8. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

We did something called Mad Math in 6th grade. Every day before class started, we were given a paper with 100 problems and we had to race to finish them in under 1 min. The first few weeks of doing it were fairly rough but as time went on we all were warmed up and ready to get started. It was alot of fun for all of us. I mean Im 30 now and I remember something I did in 6th grade so yeah lol I can't even remember where i park my car but I remember Mr. Batman's Math Class lol

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2011

I'm in 2nd, but here's what I do...
    I have a "number of the day" page we do every day for 1st semester. I stop 2nd semester once I am sure that they really know everything on the sheet.

Each day, they work with the number of days we've been in school, and do things like:
    fill in a section of 100s chart
    1 more, 1 less, 10 more, 10 less
    greater than/ less than today's date
    place value (___ tens, ___ ones)
    odd/even
    sum of the digits
    expanded form
    word form
    make a number pattern

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 11, 2011

Danny's Nanny, that sounds like an excellent activity! I have several sections in mind to steal :)

11. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I taught second this year and will teach third next year. We use Saxon at our school, and this sounds similar to the Morning Meeting. We do the calendar, graph the daily temperature, pattern, problem of the day, practice counting by 2's, 3's, 10's, etc., telling time, counting money, etc.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2011

When you take breaks, have the kids stand up and wiggle. While they are wiggling, they skip count (6, 12, 18, 24, etc.) and they must have their feet together and hands by their sides when you get to the twelfth fact.

I've done this with second, third, and fourth grade. After we have practiced a few weeks, sometimes we'd have a boys against girls competition, table against table, right side of the class against the left side, races writing the facts on the board, or anything else I could think of to keep their interest.

It only took 2-3 minutes a day and I had the class with the highest facts masters every year, regardless of grade level.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 12, 2011

teacherintexas, I LOVE that idea! Thanks :)