3rd grade classroom management

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sizzla_222, May 3, 2012.

1. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

May 3, 2012

hey guys....
    going to be a first year teacher next year teaching 3rd grade.
    I am starting to try and work out what i want my classroom management plan to be.
    I have read that something simple, objective is good. It gives me a chance to discipline without getting upset or yelling etc.

I have also been told that i have to be consistant in the plan, and follow through every time... so the kids know what the conseqences are and they know what will happen if they break the rule etc.

What have you guys seen that works?

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 3, 2012

Congrats on the new job. I LOVE teaching 3rd grade. Here's what I use:

[​IMG]

I wrote a full description and made it available to print for free here.

4. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

May 4, 2012

thanks a lot!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 4, 2012

You're very welcome. Have fun planning for your upcoming adventure!

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 4, 2012

I stole the clip chart from iheartrecess. It is wonderful!

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 5, 2012

I have found the following to work the best:

I have the children help come up with rules (all the while I am guiding the conversation toward the rules I want) after discussing the importance of/need for rules in a classroom.

I make up a contract for the children/parents to sign that clearly states the rules and consequences.

I take about a week to explain and practice procedures for EVERYTHING.

EVERY TIME a rule is broken I give a consequence. EVERY TIME a procedure is not followed, I call for a RE-DO.

I give consequences in a matter-of-fact way; no lectures, no hard feelings- I am simply honoring a child's choices.

If I make a mistake, I address it immediately.

I give the kids specific jobs to do and stress the importance of them taking ownership of the classroom and doing their jobs daily.

I encourage and lift kids up rather than dragging them down. I provide tons of positive reinforcement (mostly by way of smelly stickers, smiles, and silly rewards like sorting my papers).

I make little things seem big. This keeps little things from becoming big things. For example, if a rule says, "Be kind" and a child who is partnered with another child makes a face because he doesn't want to be partnered with her, I give him a consequence.

I recognize RIGHT choices. Anything other than that (Not Right AND Not Quite Right) gets a consequence or a redo.

I do NOT give mass negative consequences. If the whole class is talking when we line up, I call for a redo as many times as necessary. Eventually I can narrow down the rule breakers to a few who receive individual consequences. I DO give mass positive consequences. We have a chain of paper links hanging from the top of our board and the kids collectively earn links for good behavior. When the chain reaches the ground they wear pjs to school, bring stuffed animals, have show and tell, and get extra recess. My class, which is the best class I've ever had this year, has had about 7 of these "parties."

I start every day fresh. If a desk was moved yesterday, they come in today with it back in its original place and no mention is made of yesterday's behavior.

When a child has made a bad behavior choice, I give them a card. No show or giant presentation or lecture. I simply place a card on his/her desk...

You mentioned consistency and that is definitely KEY!

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 5, 2012

Forgot to say that I don't take away more than 10 minutes recess. They have 30 minutes and they NEED it!!

Also, I have some issues that I have problems with that I'm still working on finding a solution for- like kids who are disorganized & lose important things, kids who NEVER bring anything back from home, and kids who don't put their names on papers or follow directions on assignments...

I have seen ideas like having kids highlight their names on papers before turning them in, but then I have a line of kids waiting to use a highlighter, fighting over the color of highlighters, and saying, "We need a new highlighter!" Ugh.

I have tried one thing that works for kids who always say, "What do we do?" after I've given directions. I give clear, concise directions ONE TIME, then I say, "Does anyone NOT know what to do?" If someone raises his/her hand or asks what to do later, I say, "I hope you can find a friend who will give you that information because I already told you what to do." This cuts down most of the issues.

9. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

May 7, 2012

This sounds like a good plan also. I really love the idea that it is the students choice whether they get the consequence. I love that you as the teacher don't have to get mad and emotional..... (ive done that a few times, and it doesn't work for the student or for me)

I love that you just give the consequence and the student knows it was their choice, not the teahers.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

10. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 7, 2012

All of the above suggestions look great. My main reminder would be to give large amounts of positive reinforcement and incentives. Kids need to have rules and consequences, yes. But I think a lot of teachers focus more on the negative reinforcement and only end up getting frustrated. This can also make students loathe coming to school which does not make for a very nice school year for anyone!

Above all, follow through with everything - positive or negative!

11. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

May 7, 2012

yeah i know what u mean, it cant all be negative feedback. I will have a system for both i guess. rewards and consequences