3rd Grade Capacity Questions

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by amakaye, Oct 11, 2009.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009

Hello! I'm planning a math lesson on capacity. My question is, what kinds of questions are third graders expected to answer about cups, quarts, gallons, etc.? Our school uses Saxon, and the lesson just has us filling the different sized containers with cups. In the next 5 lessons, I don't see any questions asking them to do anything with capacity. So, what kinds of questions/problems should I ask them about this topic?

Also--anybody using Saxon--does this come up again? (I don't have my whole book, just the lessons for the week.)

3. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

Our students are expected to know how many quarts per gallon, cups per pint, etc. They'll also ask questions like, " 2 gal= ___pt" That's about the extent of it. I use Harcourt though, not Saxon. I hope this helps.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 26, 2009

One thing I did use to teach my 2nd graders last year was "the big G." Have them use the entire page to draw a large capital G. Inside they will draw 4 slightly smaller Qs. Inside each Q they put two smaller Ps, and then 2 Cs inside the pints. It is a great visual for them. I even allowed them to draw it (on their own) and use it for tests if they wanted.

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Nov 27, 2009

The Gallon Man is something that I always use when teaching capacity.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2009

Do your state standards give you a more concrete idea as to what needs to be covered?

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2009

Thanks guys--we did end up making Gallon Man, and then related it to our own bodies to help us remember the parts. Then we practiced changing between the different units.

Our standard is very vaguely worded--something to the effect of "measure with and use cups, pints, quarts, and gallons."

Ironically, a month and a half later, we still haven't done any problems with capacity. We did practice measuring with liquid/dry measuring tools (we made brownies on Wed. to practice), and they have looked at how many 1/2 cups, etc. are in one cup, but nothing with pints or quarts. You've gotta love the spiraling curriculum...

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 27, 2009

Even our 5th graders loved making the Gallon Man. When I had a parent who came to school for her youngest child this year tell me her 7th grader still had his Gallon Man on his bulletin board to help remind him, I knew it was something to keep in my plans for whatever class I teach measurement to!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 27, 2009

Gosh, when I taught 3rd, we sang this song every day of that unit - to the tune of The Bear Went Over the Mountain. It went something like this:

There are 4 quarts in a gallon
    4 quarts in a gallon
    4 quarts in a gallon
    So roll, baby, roll (with rolling hands motion)
    Bump, bump, bump (bump out your hips/bump someone's hips)

There are 8 pints in a gallon

There are 16 cups in a gallon

The last verse gets 4 bumps.

Of course, the kids got absolutely hysterical at the hip bumping part. It was loads of fun and they really remembered the equivalents.