3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade teachers... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms_teacher, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Jan 28, 2009

I have an observation next Tuesday. My P is a math fanatic!!!! so guess what subject I will need to teach... MATH.

I am looking for you to share your BEST math lesson EVER!!! Please!!! Any help would be appreciated!!! :help:

THX!!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

What are you studying right now?

And I wouldn't specifically teach math just because he's a math person. Teach the subject that you shine the most at.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2009

Which grade level is he observing you teach?

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

I agree 100%.

6. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Jan 28, 2009

I teach 5th grade. He has asked for a math lesson. We are studying ratios, fractions, decimals and percentages.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

Ok, maybe you can do something with pizza?

I'm not a math person. Hopefully Alice will come along and give some good suggestions.

8. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jan 28, 2009

Well I tried this with my 6th graders earlier this year.
    You get a bag of m&m's, and each pair (have them work in partners that YOU choose) gets a handful. They have to divide the total number into different colors, then they write ratios that compares each color to the total amount. You can then have them simplify the ratio if they can, then convert the simplified fraction into decimals and percents.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but if you are interested you can PM me and I can email you the worksheet I typed up that goes through the lesson...

Good luck! :)

9. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jan 29, 2009

I was also going to suggest an M&M activity! Just be sure to set firm parameters for use of the candy as manipulatives. I would let them eat 1 or 2 before you start the lesson to diminish the excitement. Then I usually use the assignment the students complete as the ticket to be able to eat the candy. M&M math activities have always been a hit in my classroom and the two times I used them for observations, the principals "ate" them up too, lol!!!!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

I would definitely include writing as a component of the lesson. Have the students explain their thinking, or teach something to another student.

I sometimes use white boards or transparencies, have each group show their solution and write about it, and then share with the class.

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jan 30, 2009

Maybe you can incorporate a "What's Wrong" segment into your lesson. My principal is a math person also, and he loves when I do that.

I write three problems and incorrectly solve them. The students have to find my error and then correct it on their paper.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

When is the observation? If you want to tie it to Valentine's Day you could use the conversation hearts. Colors are easiest, but you could also have them sort candies by messages or pics. Of course anyone who cooperates during the lesson gets to eat some of the candy at the end. ;)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009