3D Printer offer help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Aug 30, 2014.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2014

Has anybody seen this? http://www.makerbot.com/academy

I am very interested in this offer, since I think it would benefit the kiddos at my school... and the tech nerd in me would find it really cool to have a 3D printer in my classroom... but I'm obviously not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to actually access it! I created an account at Donor's Choose (and luckily, my district had a nice picture of some of my kids on their website, so I considered it fair game to use it on the site), but I can't actually figure out what to do to apply for the project. Thanks if anybody can help me out!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2014

Until you have 6 Donor's Choose points, you can only submit projects purchasing items from their preapproved retailers. To use an outside retailer, you have to wait until you earn more points since you only start out with 3 points. It takes points to propose a project, and you can get up to 3 points back once it is funded.
    Basically, you will have to wait a while for this. Sorry!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2014

Well crud.

I'd be much more likely to use Donor's Choice if they had an easier way to search for items. I know things I might want, but it's basically just guesswork about which of their approved vendors might have it.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 30, 2014

Actually, Donors Choose and maker bot were working in conjunction to get these printers out to schools so they count as one of their distributors.

Maker bot will actually fund the printer sometimes. We got one last year this way.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2014

They are not on the list. I just double checked.

7. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 30, 2014

My second funded project with DonorsChoose was a 3D printer. MakerBot was one of their vendors last year, has that changed? The deal last year had to be the "bundle", so if this is the same promotion, make sure you choose that item, and only that item for your project. If there is anything else in your cart, it won't qualify.

Hope you get one. We haven't used ours much yet, but I'm hoping my STEM elective will use it quite a bit this year.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 30, 2014

Maybe they stopped offering them then. There used to be a link to request a 3d printer project when you created a new project.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2014

I got a Makerbot from Donors Choose. They were definitely one of their vendors at the time, I didn't use 6 points for it. Maybe contact Donors Choose and ask if/when Makerbot will be one of their vendors again.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 12, 2014

I don't know if you caught this, but DonorsChoose is now offering 3D printers and makerbot supplies through Best Buy.