38 students in a 34-student classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jenny G, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I currently have 38 on my class list. Class size is 34. We have to start with all 38 and the principal has 2 weeks to find them new homes.

This is really throwing me off. I have 34 desks, 36 chairs. I purchased supplies for 34. I have a couple of extra books, but not enough. My welcome door only has 35 balloons. I only have 36 nametags.

I know that I can remedy some of it, but I am completely letting this throw my game.

Is it too late to call in sick and let someone else deal with it? :D

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 21, 2007

Yikes!:eek:
    So how is the principal finding them new homes? Are they going to do a combo class (4th/5th) or is he going to hire another teacher. I would be furious! It would throw off my numbering system, my line order, everything! How are the kids taking it? Do you at least know which kids are staying and which are going?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

Talk to the caretaker about getting in some extra desks or a table that will hold 4 students and the extra chairs you need. Do all that you can to make all of the students feel part of your class, not just visitors. Scramble around to see if you can find enough textbooks--do other teachers have an extra one or two on their shelves? If not, try to work out a system for sharing. This is certainly far from an ideal situation, but, unfortunately, you do need to make the best of it.

My school is in a rapidly growing subdivision and we always have lots of new students, both at the beginning of the year and throughout. We have been told, when ordering supplies and textbooks, etc. to always plan for 5 more students than we think we'll have!

Good luck!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

Think about how stressful this is for the kids- it's very unsettling for them, not knowing who is utlimately thier teacher, who is in their class, what classroom is theirs...I really feel that kids need to feel connected in school- your 'extra' kids aren't going to feel that until they are finally settled. So yeah, you are feeling unsettled and upset yourself- get over it. You need to be the one who makes these kids feel ok with the situation you are all in- make them feel a part of things, have fun with it- it's only temporary.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

I think that's key.

When you're up teaching, one of the kids can be "teacher aide" and use your chair/desk. Make this an adventure for the kids.

Big picture, it's an admistrative problem that will be worked out. In the meantime, make it as much fun for the kids as possible. They'll appreciate it, their parents will, and your administration will when they don't have parents calling to complain.

7. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Everytime I see a posting about ridiculously large class sizes I always open it to see if it's in California (and I've been right everytime now)! Makes me so thankful I moved this year (so far only 15 in my room).....

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007

If you are in California and have more kids than books, remind your principal of the William's Settlement. It requires schools to have enough books so that each student has access to them at home and at school.

FWIW my school is 30 students over it planned maximum enrollment for this term, and growing daily. The principal is doing whatever it takes to serve the students without impacting the quality of education.