32 Organizational Tips for People with ADHD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2011

There have been threads on here related to teachers with ADHD. I came across an article today on Facebook and thought I would share. These are general tips and not necessarily related to teaching but I'm pleasantly surprised that I already use most of these. For simplicity sake, I didn't copy the entire article so some of these tips you might benefit reading the paragraph following the tip to understand where the author is going with it. I'm sincerely thinking about buying her book, "365 Ways to Suceed with ADHD."

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/32-of-the-best-ways-to-get-organized-when-you-have-adhd/all/1/

1. Use a planner.
    2. Use eye-catching materials.
    3. Use spiral notebooks.
    4. Have a brain dump.
    5. Bank online.
    6. Forget your appointment time (plan around leaving time instead).
    7. Sort stuff using a 5 box method.
    8. Purge excess posessions--ruthlessly.
    9. Get creative with visual reminders.
    10. Enlist an organization buddy.
    11. Cut out company logos for your file folders.
    12. Sort mail over a wastebasket.
    13. Say no to junk.
    14. Use baggies for specific items.
    15. Clear your desk and single-task.
    16. Set goals you can finish.
    17. Assume things will take longer.
    18. Learn from yourself.
    19. Be mindful of placement.
    20. Delegate.
    21. Have a recycling basket.
    22. Keep your files manageable.
    23. Don't be over-prepared (be resourceful).
    24. Grocery shop for one week only (minus one meal).
    25. Have a shoebox for tax related receipts only.
    26. Keep policies in one place.
    27. Buy only what is on your list.
    28. Organize items based on how you retrieve them.
    29. Keep contacts in one spot.
    30. Use clear bins.
    31. Know when to say when.

Okay I have either misnumbered or left off one trick. I'm not going to stress it. If you find it, post it.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2011

Argh. Can someone fix the title please?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

Those are good tips for everyone!:D

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2011

They really are!

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2011

I just forwarded the site to my DH. He was at one time getting tested for ADHD. Unfortunately he lost track of the appointments and never finished up.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 31, 2011

He could just go to a neuropsych, spend an hour or two getting tested, then come back a few weeks later for the results.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 31, 2011

I have three strategies for keeping up with appointments.

1. Put it in my calendar (Right now I'm learning that in spite of all the good features associated with digital formats and as much as I'm on my phone, for whatever reason I prefer to input it and refer to a small paper version instead).
    2. Tell everyone I know about it (especially my husband). Other people are great resources for helping me remember stuff. :)
    3. Email it to myself (so if I forgot the details, it's in my email and I can search for it).

AND I also ask doctor's offices if they email or call when it gets closer. I had one that didn't normally do that but after I mentioned it, the office clerk was happy to do so.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2011

Agreed. Everyone could benefit from these.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

It's 'have a home for everything' (#19)...which goes perfectly with 'be mindful of placement'.:love:

11. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Dec 31, 2011

Haha, I struggle with #31. :)

I'm able to be super organized and on task by putting everything into Google Calendar. I plan out everything from IEPs to what time and day I'll be making copies.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 31, 2011

This is a great list!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 31, 2011

I just downloaded that book to my Kindle. I can't wait to start reading it.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 31, 2011

Now that's a good idea. I don't have kindle but I could get it on my computer.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 1, 2012

I'm sorry if this is insensitive, but that literally made me laugh out loud.

16. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jan 1, 2012

This is a great list. I just don't see someone with ADD or ADHD reading through all of these. I think books for ADD or ADHD people should focus on 5 or no more than 10 strategies at a time. That's my thought since I have ADD and multiple steps can sometimes be a challenge for me.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 1, 2012

I already DO most of these in one form or another but anyone that hasn't definitely should start small and build up. I see your point about a book with 365 tips. There isn't a one size fits all solution for anyone so I can see myself finding a FEW new tricks out of the book. That would be worth the read.

I think the trick is figuring out what sorts of things are frustrating you the most, pick one, find solutions that work WITH your personality and style and not against it and then move on to another area. Kind of a change one theory.

I find organizational strategies to be necessary for me to cope. Otherwise I forget too much stuff and lack follow through as a result and that stresses me out. Then stress makes it even worse and it is a vicious cycle. So tackling it head on with strategies is the best way I know how to reduce that stress.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 8, 2012

The book is actually a bunch of mini-clips from many different doctors. Each is very short (a few paragraphs at most) and light-hearted. The author states clearly that the book is set up in such a way that the reader can go through the book however he or she wants. You can read one suggestion a day, flip through the contents and find all the suggestions on a particular situation (ex. college life), or just read at random. I skim the contents and read what looks interesting to me at the moment.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2012

I had to laugh today as I remembered this thread. My doctor sent me a reminder email and I got a FB message from a neighbor reminding me. Then my husband at bedtime did his part and asked me for specifics. Usually people don't remember specifics. The know just enough to inquire and jog my memory. Another friend has an appt at the same time so I passed on the favor and sent her a text as well. This time my body is reminding me anyways but I appreciate all the support I get.

20. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2012

It's a nice list but definitely easier said than done!!!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2012

I would never advocate trying to do all of it at once!!! I do a lot of them but it has come over time. I'm one of those people that believe you should start small and build. Change one thing. Get good at it. Add another. Just because I do a lot of these things also doesn't mean I still don't have areas of struggles I still need to work on. I definitely don't believe all strategies work for everyone.

Here's another thing that made me laugh last night. I tend to be a chart/analysis/categorization thinker. Sometimes it eats up a lot of my time. I go overboard. My friend was looking at some of my charts last night and said something about how she would prefer to be doing other things than spending that much time on a chart. I told her I would too but my brain gets jumbled and my thoughts bounce around too much sometimes. Doing that helps me organize what I'm thinking to make it clearer for me and in turn eases any anxiety I might otherwise feel because it was overwhelming the other way (unfocused and unclear) and it helps reduce any chances of missing the details I might otherwise forget. Plus I like to research and compare information so it fits well with that tendency and works for me. Sure it takes too much time sometimes but it helps me in the long run. It wouldn't be the same strategy for everyone.

22. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Jan 9, 2012

This is a great list! I've gone years thinking I'm lazy and forgetful, but I'm fairly certain I have ADD. I remember large chunks of grade school spent daydreaming. My parents had me tested for epilepsy (?) at age 3 or 4 because I wouldn't answer when they spoke to me and my hearing was fine.

I've found lists are lifesavers, as long as I can remember where the lists are. When I go to town I write down what I need and then categorize it according to stores and even plan my route.

I love the list of 31 things, but will have a hard time sticking to a few at a time instead of trying them all and then failing. :p