32 kids in my class - Argh!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by OtterMom, Aug 9, 2007.

1. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I just this minute got an e-mail from my principal. School starts on August 27th, and there are already 32 KIDS SIGNED UP TO BE IN MY CLASS! :woot:

Since I'm the only non-bilingual K teacher, there's no place else to put them. She has requested another Kindergarten teacher, and hopefully the district will come through, since the state max for PreK through 4th is 22. Please pray that this works out, because as she and I joked, if not, we'll have to hang kids from the ceiling or set them on top of the cabinets.

How many kids are in K classes in other places? Do any of you have assistants (which we don't unless there's a Special Ed consideration)?

I heard that there can be up to 30 kids in K in Nevada, but it's hard to believe unless there are co-teachers or assistants. Anyone?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

I think here in Chicago it can be 30 (w/o an aide) + 2. There is some wierd archaic formula used to calculate "positions" above Pre-K. Class size is not really "greivable" from what I hear. The current contract only calls for 1/2 day K, though some schools have full day K or 4 hour K.

K positons are caculated by "the total number of K student will be divided by 2, extended to one decimal place, and rounded up to the nearest whole number; this number will then be divided by 28, extended to one decimal place, and rounded up to the nearest half (0.50) number. I don't think they do K/1 splits here, but I'm not sure on that......

Oh I guess the guidelines are 27 +2 - but I know in schools with only one K class they sometimes fudge that more, especially when space is an issue. For some reason PK and K are required to be on the ground level when possible.

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Oh, wow, Turtle. I don't think I passed that math class. I wonder who came up with that formula! :crosseyed

I think that it's a good idea to have PreK and K classes on the first floor. I've had kids nearly cartwheel down the stairs before, so I'm glad that I'm on the first floor now!

Thanks for your response. :)

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

We can have an avg. of 20 per class in K-2 , plus 10% which would be 22. Right now we have an avg of 23 per class. In reality, I have 25 the other K has 26. I only have tables and cubbies enough for 20 and only have the sq. ft required for 9! I also have one student who will have a full time private nurse. We have a teacher waiting in the wings. I hope they tell us today that she will be the 3rd K teacher.

6. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

We can have up to 30 (+ 1 aide) in the Department of Defense Schools. Personally, I think more than 25 is wayyyy to much. Then it's just managing a class - not teaching. I will be thinking of you. Please keep us updated as to what happens.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

Our district did away with class size reduction a few years ago (boo!) but are looking at it again. We can have 30 I believe, with the avg. K class at my school at about 27. No assistant or aide.
    PS In Head Start I had 20 WITH an assistant. Hopefully since in your district the limit is 22, they will find another teacher and not be out of compliance! :)

8. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 9, 2007

class size

We are only allowed to have 16 kids in our rooms due to square footage. But the state of WV requires 1 adults every per 12 students, so I always have an aid because I always have 16 kids. But if our classrooms get bigger, than we will have 20 kids per class with an aid. That is our principals maximum per class. :D We are currently starting a school addition. Preschool and K get the new rooms.:2up:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  9. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Where in Texas are you?

10. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 9, 2007

We can have up to 32 students in our Kindergarten class as well. Supposedly you team teach and the other teacher has to serve 100 mins in your class and you in theirs. I have never had a partner so I have never had another adult other than the ELD aide who works with my lowest group of Eld students for what is supposed to be 1 hour but rarely gets over 45 mins because she is busy translating and helping parents who do not speak English in the morning. So though I do believe that 32 in Kinder is huge and it would be better if it were smaller, I also know that it's possible. You just have to have a different mindset and plan your activities accordingly. We pretty much stick to the routine of carpet, tables, carpet, tables-for movement I vary the activities between these areas. When we paint or do other art activities or small group needs I do those activites at workshop and always try to have a parent volunteer during that time. (Not always the easiest to do but especially at the beginning of the year i've found more parents willing. Good Luck!

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

Wow, maybe I do need to stick around here! Without an aide/ the Kinder max is 14!! With an aide, I don't think I've seen a class go over 20.

I did work in one class that didn't have an aide the first semester (it was an overflow class, formed the week school started). I think she got up to 16 students or so, and then they started putting subs in her room until after Christmas break, when the hired somone.

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

Here, you can have 10 students no aide. Once you hit 11 you must have an aide! MAX is 22! We are already over our limit too...but they will not hire another teacher until after the first day of school to ensure all students show up! Which I think is stupid because we usually have more show up than enrolled!!! I think it can be tramatic for a kindergartener to start a week of school in one class and then be moved to another!!! Also, when they hire the new teacher it will most likely be a longterm sub who may move at any time if she gets a contract. Again, I think this could be a tramatic situation for our students! Sometimes classes end up going through 4 or so longterm sub teachers a year!!! All to save money!!! :(

13. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

With the class size reduction law we are supposed to be capped at 18 kids in each kindergarten class. Last year most of our classes had 16-18 kids and we shared 1 para between two teachers. This year we will have about the same number of kids, but no assistants due to budget cuts.

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

That's a nice size class! 18-20.

15. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

Just a little correction OtterMom, the 22 state max in TX only applies to K and up, it does not include pre-k. It's my pet peeve (read: bain of my existence) It is up to each individual school district in TX to interpret the law as they see fit. :soapbox: Unfortunately I work in one of the districts that "sees fit" to cram as many pre-k kids into one classroom as they feel necessary. I started the year with 31 last year and we had to beg and plead for another teacher, kinder classes had 24 and got a new teacher in 2 days, we had to wait a month. I'm also the only English teacher on my team of 4 and will probably start the year with the same number again. I'm sure they will hire another teacher for you since you fall within the law, you may have to wait until Sept 1 though, they can't hire anyone new until that "magical date" unless there is another classroom in your district that didn't make and then they may transfer that person over to your campus.

16. Elite

Elite New Member

Aug 10, 2007

I have only 18 with a maximum of 20 in NSW Australia.

17. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

During my interview three years ago, my principal told me that the maximum students allowed was 18. However, My first year I had 26 students and they hired another teacher. Last year, I had 26 students again and the principal applied for another teacher again. The county told her she could not hire another teacher because the average amount of students in kindergarten in the county was under 18. In our county they add up all the kindergarten students enrolled and divide them by the number of k-teachers and if it meets the state requirement then you can have several more students then the state allows. At least I have a aid (most of the time).

18. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Wow I was complaining becuase I have 20 kids so far this year with a full time aid--full day Kindergarten i believe our max in GA is 22. I am going crazy with how to manage all of these kids when it comes to reading and writing groups. In years past I only had 16 max. But his year is some type of boom. Whew I guess my complaint seems so small when some of you have kids hanging from the ceiling.

19. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

In NYC we went up to 28 with no aide.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2007

My biggest class was 26. Everything is bigger in Texas.

I don't know the official policy for Kinder but I worked in daycare in Pennsylvania and then here in Texas and the ratios were double here, even for the very little ones. We can have 13 two-year-olds to one teacher and double that plus 2 for two teachers in the room-28 (they are still in diapers at this age, you would start changing them and by the time you got them all, you'd basically have to start over again). In PA it was 6 per one teacher 12 max for 2 teachers. It's surprising there's so much difference from state to state.

21. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

28 two year olds and 2 teachers. That's insane!!! There's no way I would have lasted the three and a half years I've been at my child care center with that kind of ratio. Our 2s room is measured for 12 so we have 12 kids and 2 teachers (in PA). With the Texas ratio it would have just been me for the year I worked with 2s. Eeeek!

22. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Aug 19, 2007

Wow! And I've been complaining with my 25!!!!

23. twoinazoo

twoinazoo Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I have had 32, with the other kindergarten teacher (am/pm) overlapping for 60 min. during core instruction time. No aide. Last year, we had 28 with an aide every three days (we shared her between 3 classes), but no other teacher to overlap. That meant 28 kids, all by myself!!! I don't know what this year will hold, as we don't start back for a couple weeks still. But all I can say is that I have become very adept at juggling.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 20, 2007

So do you have an update for us?