300 applications, 7 interviews, school starts in less than 2 weeks AND

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lotusblossom, Aug 9, 2007.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I still don't have a freakin' job.

3. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Me too, Lotus. Not as many applications, but all of those interviews. If we were the quitin' kind, this would get us down, but we are NOT. Chin up. We are going to get jobs.
    We are.

4. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 9, 2007

*cries* The chin is tired!!

5. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Where do you live?

6. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 9, 2007

CO

7. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Job interview

Hi Lotusblossom,
    I totally understand what you are going through. We are in the same boat. I went for an interview with stellar record, excellent rec from my previous employers college professors etc. I had a second interview right away over the phone and they told me they will call me back very shortly and asked me if i can do 5th grade math and science. I agreed to it and waited for their call:huh:
    Now I have to sub .:(
    I want to cheer up and move on.
    Emma

8. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I heard about how great the market is for teachers, how teachers are needed nationwide, yadda yadda yadda... all the way through my teacher prep program. Obviously that is not the case. Are any of you able to relocate? I've seen some postings that jobs are pretty good in areas of Texas and Florida. I know it's not fantastic where I live, but there are definately jobs. I think Washington is supposed to be decent too. I hope it works out for you! I'm sure there is a perfect job out there somewhere.

9. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I'm in the same boat. I haven't even had interviews, but have completed applications after applications and haven't gotten anything. I'm at a loss of what to do. It's so frustrating to feel like you have worked for nothing.

10. Uwwchica23

Uwwchica23 New Member

Aug 9, 2007

Keep your head up!!!! I was in the same boat, 70 applications, 3 interviews and nothing. I am a new teacher and kept hearing "you don't have the experience we are looking for". I had an interview yesterday and got the call today and I will be a Second Grade Teacher this year. I never thought it would happen to me...so keep your head up!!

11. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I know how hard it is, try to stay positive. I just got hired and it took a long time. I started looking just a bit three years ago (I was working as a TA and enjoying the experience), but then I really started applying 2 years ago. Here, most of the time you HAVE to know someone/have connections. It is rare to find a job when you do not know the right people....I did not know anyone, so I know that I am VERY VERY fortunate that someone gave me the chance. I really beat the odds and I usually have the worst luck.

The best advice I can give you is to NOT beat yourself up, like I was. :( It is natural, I think. Believe me, there are more teachers you know that are looking for jobs. You are NOT alone in this.

Apply everywhere and anywhere. That is what I did. I sent resumes in a 45 minute radius. I had several people proof my cover and resume. I mailed well over 100 resumes and only had less than 10 interviews.

The teaching shortage thing is a myth in many parts of the country-there are too many teachers, but you do not realize it until you start looking and wondering why you cannot even get interviews.

Good luck to all of you. Please take care of yourselves. It is easy to get really down-I know. I think there is a reason for everything, I really do.

12. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Ugh, I guess it is true that misery loves company b/c it is nice to know that others are going through (or have gone through) the same thing.

uww congrats on your job :) it's your first year teaching, right?

honestly, i am getting down on myself and it's the first time since april i've allowed myself to truly get down and dirty w/ my pity party...

i feel i've left no stone unturned and now i have to come up with a workable plan b...

13. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 9, 2007

ps - i am probably taking some poetic license with the 300 job apps. but close to 200 is accurate. ;-)

14. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I could have made this post too, but so far I've had now 23 interviews and have had 21 rejections. Don' t have much hope for the last too either because it's been two weeks.

I like that this forum has many encouraging posters on it. Unfortunately, sometimes there are so many people posting about the jobs they just got that I feel like I must be moron or something because I haven't secured employment yet after so many interviews. I don't want to say I'm glad to see another poster who is still looking, but it helps to see that I'm not alone!

Hopefully soon this year or perhaps early next spring we will be the ones who have been just hired and we can offer advice to those still searching!

15. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 9, 2007

AMEN to your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs :)

16. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

I don't have a full time job either. After having 8 LTS positions I think I have lost my identity!!:)
    I say Amen to Alphabet too. Sometimes it is hard to read the "Got a Job" postings. I also felt like I was the only one who hasn't gotten a job. You are not alone!!

17. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Oh, no sir. You guys are not the only ones. We are going to get jobs!

Yes we are!

18. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I agree with you about it being hard to see those "got a job" postings. I've been looking for the last three years and still no job in IL. Its hard when you keep applying everywhere and then still have no luck finding a job. I don't want to sub again this year, but I'm afraid I have no choice. I've only had two interviewed for two schools this summer and I really thought I had a chance at the second one, but when that didn't happen I felt completely rejected. Now, I just hope a job is on the horizon.