30+ min. commuters: WHY do you commute so far?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 11, 2008.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2008

I took the first job that became available when I needed it. That and the difference in salary. I would lose at least $10,000 a year to teach closer to home. I love my job in the sense that I only work with 4th grade, vs having K-5 (all at one time) in my previous position.

It works for me. My husband also has a long commute so gas prices do take their toll, but we've dealt so far. We spend more on autos than mortgage! LOL (combining payments, insurance, fuel, and maintenance.)

2. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

I am about 18 miles away from where I work. I drive between 30 minutes to 45 minutes each way to get to work. I did not have a job when we bought our house, and we based our location on where my husband works. He is about 4 miles from work and on a bad day it takes 10 minutes for him to get there, on an average day about 5 minutes. So I felt free to take a job where I found one. I love the district I am with, so I don't plan on leaving any time soon.

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

:) I have to drive 20 minutes to get to the grocery store, so 30 minutes to a job isn't so bad. :)

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

35 minute commute one way.
    I take my sons with me to my district simply for convenience.
    Otherwise we would need before and after school care and they would have an entirely different school calendar than myself.

5. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I went to Bronx Science for high school, which was a 1.5 - 2 hour commute each way, each day. I guess i got used to it.

In my first year, i lived 10 minutes away from the school by bus for two months, and then moved down to Belmar to be 2 blocks from the beach. I didn't like the commute (2 hours total), but the fact that i lived so close to the beach made it worthwhile.

I'm my second year, i moved up to Brooklyn, shortening my trip by about 40 minutes, but now i had to take two trains instead of one.

Now in my third year, i'm back in Belmar, because i absolutely missed the town and being so close to the beach (i even got the same house back!). My new school (as of last year) starts 30 minutes later than my first, and actually that suits the train schedule much better, so i get to wake up at 5:45 instead of 4:30!!! Plus now i have mobile broadband and a laptop, so that occupies a lot of the train time.

As for the "why", i'll follow another poster's lead and provide visual evidence!
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar1.jpg (The house...the front gate is now gone)
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar2.jpg (View of the beach from in front of the house)
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar3.jpg (Random beach shot...sorry i'm no photographer!)
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar4.jpg (Random beach shot from on the rocks)
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar5.jpg (Cute intersection on the next block)
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar6.jpg (Not my corner, but they all look like this)
    http://www.silentindustry.org/images/belmar7.jpg (Cute houses on the next block)

This is all within 440 steps of the house (yes, i counted). I'm happy teaching at my school, so i'm willing to travel 90-100 minutes to get there, especially because the 120 minute trip back home (train schedule doesn't line up properly going home) takes me to my favourite place!

It should be noted that in my first year, i attempted to apply to schools closer to Belmar, and that got me fired, so now that i'm back at a school, i'm not going anywhere else for a while. The elementary school in Belmar is 4 blocks from my house, and is VERY high achieving, so maybe one day i can aspire to make it there.

Random aside: looks like i'm the winner of the "longest commute" sweepstakes :lol:

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 13, 2008

Wow, yeah! You brought up an interesting point too. Us "country gals" may take our car trips for granted - I know THIS one does. And by "country" I mean I live in a city pop. 115,000. No trains here. It's car or bus for us. I can't imagine train hopping and carrying all of my teacher stuff with me. I had to buy one of those roly-poly carts just to walk from the parking lot to my classroom! What a wuss! :rolleyes: I feel for you train-hoppers! Go you!! :up:

7. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I get to do lesson plans and activities during my commute. That's over 10 hours of extra planning and paper grading time that i get every week, that the "drivers" don't.

If anything, I feel for you!

8. courtneymarie

courtneymarie Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

The school I work at is about 40 minutes away, but I don't mind the commute. We have a teacher bus because so many of the teachers have to commute, so I don't have to drive and I save money I would have spent on gas. I also teach in the same district I went to school in and it's wonderful.

9. 2teach1

2teach1 New Member

Aug 16, 2008

I would drive an hour if I had to! Some people at my school DO live far. Our administrators make it worth the drive. I could find a job really close, but I'm not going anywhere.

10. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 16, 2008

I would probably drive as long as an hour also...IF we didn't have such harsh and unpreditable winters. Last year we had 9 or 10 snow days due to snowstorms and freezing rain. I'm not a nervous driver at all, but the time and the added risk (the longer you are on the road, the more the risk of an accident) make it not worth it. I know you could just say you don't feel safe and work from home, but I wouldn't feel right doing that all the time. Besides, even on good days, winter driving comes with so much more risk...from the conditions AND the other driivers on the road, so those things do factor into my commuting decisions.

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

This year I'm in the same district, but a different middle school. It's 4 miles closer than the other one. Last year's school was 85 (170 round trip) miles from my house and this year's is 81 (162 round trip). With southern California traffic this equals 1.5 hours to school and 2 to 2.5 hours home. My husband works 45 miles south of us and I work north. We own our home, so moving isn't really an option.

I took the only job that was offered to me. I tried from January to get a job closer to home this year, and the only thing I came up with was 4 miles closer. As a social studies teacher, there aren't many jobs with tons of applicants. I'm really hoping that California gets it's act together and creates a budget with money for teachers for next year. I'm seriously considering leaving education (and this is only year 3 for me) if I cannot get a job within 50 miles of my home.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2008

I've been blessed to never have to drive any farther than 30 min from home for ANY job I've ever had...even to go to college! But...in a wk, for only 2x a week, I'll have to drive about 40 min away to go to college. (I'm returning back to school to work towards my 2nd Masters). The drive won't be that bad. It's being on the fwy that takes all the time, I'm only on surface streets for several minutes total.

13. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I am going to be (hopefully if this whole thing works out) be commuting about 45 minutes.

It was my choice to take, and in fact, one of the questions I was asked pertained to why I would be willing to drive 45 minutes everyday.

I would prefer to teach in a district that is not where I live, but this is also a fantastic district to work in as well. I also do a lot of commuting to that area anyway; my children's doctors are there, I shop there (Whole Foods,etc are located there) so it does not seem that far too me at all.

14. daiwa24

daiwa24 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

In the morning, it takes me about an hour to get to work -- I don't mind it so much because I plan out my day, listen to the news, drink my coffee. It's the drive home that gets me -- it can take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours to get home because of rush hour traffic and my departure time from school.

Why do I endure this long drive that sucks up almost a 1/4 of a tank of gas each day?? I had my job long before I met my husband (I'm a newlywed). Ahhhh....the things we do for love!

15. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I used to like to commute. Last year I taught at my dream school: a private school for kids with autism. My dream school was NOT located in my dream town; the price of rent in that town was ridiculous and my partner couldn't find work. We ended up moving 45 minutes away.

At first, I liked the drive. It gave me time to wake up in the mornings. But as our car started to fail, the drive became my biggest stressor. I never knew if I was going to make it to work or not. I had to pull over several times to cool the overheating car. I was already working two jobs and with the high rent and the private school salary, I just didn't have a penny left to put into the car. I tried carpooling, but of course it wasn't fair -- I lived the furthest away from the school except for one girl who lived past me, but she had to get off the Interstate and come out a ways to get me, and she HATED doing it. Another girl lived 15 minutes closer to school, and she would actually come and get me when I was having car trouble, doubling her own drive time in the mornings. I could never return the favor because my car wasn't safe. I hated feeling like I was taking advantage of my coworkers, but it was that or miss school.

I now live 5 minutes away from the public school I'm going to be teaching at. It's a very small town, and very sweet, but I actually think that sometime later, after I can afford a reliable vehicle, I might want to move 15 or 20 minutes out, into the next community. I love my kids and I want to be supportive of their families, but I also want to goof off at the grocery store with my partner and not have to explain it to any students or parents! It doesn't help that my partner and I are, and look, very unconventional. We get a lot of stares and those stares are a lot more intense when they come from parents or other teachers. We ALWAYS run into someone from school, every time we go out. The number of times I've had "mini-parent-teacher-conferences" or "grade-level-common-planning" in the check-out line in the grocery store is ridiculous! I really don't mind, I just feel a little on-edge when we're out. If I let my hair down and get silly for a moment, THAT'S when I see my kids, of course!